View Full Version : cod close to Gansett shore

Jim in CT
11-15-2015, 06:40 PM
I did a tautog trip out of Pt Judith today. First stop was just off the mouth of the Narrow River, not quite a mile offshore. Had a decent pick of tog and sea bass, when I hooked what I hoped was a 10 pound tautog, but was a nice legal cod. Caught one other there. I wasn't even thinking about cod for this trip.

Is this rare?

Making stock for tog chowder right now, using a tog carcass and a seabass carcass,

niko
11-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Used to catch cod from shore pretty regularly north of the cape before the stocks crashed. Don't know how common it is down there though
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clogston29
11-15-2015, 08:25 PM
I've caught them in the surf in ma, usually in spring. From what I've read/heard it used to be possible to get them in surf in ri late fall and winter. With stocks now, I'd say it's rare.

Nebe
11-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Guys used to fish Q with atom 40's early early spring and catch cod. Also used to get them in matunuck /deep hole on clam bellies.

Guppy
11-16-2015, 06:37 AM
Couple years ago early spring put in at Brant Rock hit every rock pile I seen on the chart all the way up to outside barhston,,,, not a touch :as::as:

tlapinski
11-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Every fall they are regularly landed by anglers seeking tog in close to shore off the RI coast. It is nowhere near what it used to be, I have pics of cod in excess of 60 pounds landed from shore in SoCo, but it is still a welcomed by catch.

Every year I say I am going to give it a go, and every year I come with another excuse not to go. But it's stories like this one that keep it in the back of my mind... http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_ID=727&ParentCat=2#sthash.1BfiayGb.dpbs

MakoMike
11-16-2015, 08:29 AM
If you read the Frances Fleet reports they say they catch them almost every day.

DZ
11-16-2015, 08:30 AM
For the past half dozen seasons its been more commonplace to catch them while fishing for tog near shore... but not from shore. Like Toby mentioned there was a time long ago when we targeted them from shore - best months were always late February through March. Quonny beach in south county, Sachuest Point in Middletown were the most popular locations. All nighttime action - fishing clams or squid on the bottom. My late casting partner Zeke Silva's largest surf fish for many years was a 41 pound cod from Sachuest. When he hooked it we thought he surely had an early cow bass. Nothing like illuminating a large cod in the wash with your neck light. Most fish were market size - under 10 lbs.

Rob Rockcrawler
11-16-2015, 10:32 AM
How bout we try to plan a cod fishing outing this spring. I don't know what tides or moon phase they prefer. Lets pick a date with favorable conditions and give it a shot.

piemma
11-16-2015, 10:53 AM
How bout we try to plan a cod fishing outing this spring. I don't know what tides or moon phase they prefer. Lets pick a date with favorable conditions and give it a shot.

Oh I'm in Rob. Years ago my old partner RJ and I fished for Cod on the beach West of Quonny in Feb. We never got any but it was a way to break up the Winter.

DZ
11-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Lets face it there is not much to attract cod that close to shore in the dead of winter. Conditions we looked for were immediately after a good surf or hard onshore wind. Those conditions would expose and wash up surf clams which set up a natural chum slick would then serve as a reason for the cod to come close to shore. When the wind died out or turned northerly we fished. Two rods apiece spiked with fish finder bottom rigs and 5/0-7/0 hooks. Used a coleman lantern for light and hand warmth. Normally fished just after dark until 8-10pm or so.

MAKAI
11-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Late 70's and early 80's did pretty good on market cod from the surf on PI.....miss that tasty fishing.
Barrel fires and cod, good times.

Jim in CT
11-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Here is the cod caught by my good friend, less than a mile from shore. Other one we caught was almost a carbon copy. Had a nice mix of cod, tog, and sea bass on the c-devil, a great 6-pack boat and crew.

Nebe
11-16-2015, 12:21 PM
what a beautiful fish.

Jim in CT
11-16-2015, 12:59 PM
what a beautiful fish.

It really is, isn't it?. How I wish I could have experienced the good old days. The one I caught yesterday was my first ever.

Nebe
11-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Go to Iceland ... Cod galore up there.

scottw
11-16-2015, 03:00 PM
just got a picture from a buddy with a nice cod taken from his kayak, not far from shore locally this morning.....you should get out the Eben

Nebe
11-16-2015, 04:04 PM
just got a picture from a buddy with a nice cod taken from his kayak, not far from shore locally this morning.....you should get out the Eben

For reals ?!

Oh man. I should. I should... However I am in glass making frenzy mode until January.

scottw
11-16-2015, 04:10 PM
For reals ?!

Oh man. I should. I should... However I am in glass making frenzy mode until January.

yeah, he was pretty psyched, first from his yak

DZ
11-17-2015, 08:08 AM
4 ounce Hopkins NoEqls jigged when drifting between the R2 and R4 bouys were the ticket for cod back when I was permitted to fish in a boat ;)