View Full Version : 2015 can suck it!

5/0
11-23-2015, 01:47 PM
My 10 Year old puppy became diabetic 2 months ago and she never responded well to the insulin or pain meds for her back legs.
She was losing weight by the day and I had hoped that she'd be here for the holidays but I was in denial and being selfish,her quality of life was failing by the day.

This morning before I went to work I went to put food in her bowl,but didn't because yesterday's food was still there and she couldn't get up to go out side like she always does.
I gave her a pet on the head and said see you when I get home,so off to work I went.

Got a phone call from the wife no more than a half an hour later,she said when she came downstairs she saw the pups was a mess & you need to come home now,today is the day when need to pup's to rest...

So I got home in time to see our daughter off to school she had no Idea of the dogs condition because she had two friends sleep over.
my wife and I brought the pups for the final ride I drove and my wife sat in back to comfort her.

It was a tuff morning and now when our daughter comes home from school we have to brake the news to her,and relive it again what a long day and what a chity year.

Like Clammer says enjoy what you have.

chefchris401
11-23-2015, 02:32 PM
sorry for you and the families loss. cant even imagine the day im in that position.

i hear you on 2015 can suck it, what a terrible year overall of myself, family and friends. :fishslap:

nightfighter
11-23-2015, 03:13 PM
It is a day that tests the toughest of men and women.... Having been down that road too many times is probably why I haven't gotten another dog. You two guys have had a tough year. We are thinking about you.....

PaulS
11-23-2015, 03:31 PM
You did the right thing. Sorry for your loss.

We got a kitten in March and had to put her down a month ago. Horrible day.

fishbones
11-23-2015, 04:11 PM
So sorry to hear that, Bob. You really have had a tougher year than anyone should have to go through. Give me a call if you need anything.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
11-23-2015, 05:01 PM
If you feel bad that you may have waited too long, don't , tough call to make Bob but the right one.....

basswipe
11-23-2015, 05:07 PM
I really feel for you and your family.Sucks when that time comes,I hated it last year and with our now 16yr old pup I'm going to hate it again next year.

Some people take comfort in this,hope it helps...
https://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Higgie
11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear Bobby

tysdad115
11-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Damn sorry to hear my friend.

FishermanTim
11-23-2015, 11:31 PM
What really makes it such a tough time is because of two factors.

First, dogs are pack animals. They are happiest when they know where they stand in the "pack". That means you are the "Alpha" male and they are lower than you. This means that they will not show you when something is wrong due to the "pack" mentality regarding weak/injured members. They will hide it for as long as they possibly can.

Second, they are one of a few domesticated animals that show unconditional love for their human companions.

Knowing this doesn't lessen the pain, but it helps to understand how they can affect us so deeply.

Hopefully you will find a pet to fill the void in your life (not necessarily a "replacement" but a new family pet.

Clammer
11-24-2015, 03:53 PM
5/0 SO sorry for your loss ..........it really sucks .................... not too long after my wife passed .I had to put both my dogs down in a short period of time ................................I still can,t get another one .

I asked my son if I,m messed up {don,t answer] because I told him I often think of Sadie & her loss , is Mom pissed .i still cry about losing all three ><,
He told me
hell no .Thank God for that ><

Unfortunitly [sp] the pain never ends til the end &&& I can,t even be sure of that ><<>

think of you all ><> MIKE

5/0
11-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and shared memory's,it is nice and Hart felt that I know I'm not alone but it's words coming from you that I know and have met in person. Thank you all.

It was tough on the initial,then the second wave letting our daughter in on it when she came home from school ,she was upset that we didnt give her a chance to say good bye
.but we both knew that our daughter wouldn't have allowed us to take her.... (it was heavy ).and she asked us to leave her alone...
Our son who's in college was sadend but he understood and new the time was coming.Yet he is away and has a second life out side of the immediate home day to day tribunal things,it will suck yet once again when he comes home and then it will suck again...

Not to mention coming home from work today,I get out of the van and I'm not being greeted by a wagging tail and tons of sniffing.

I miss my pups.

ThrowingTimber
11-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Bob that stinks man, I'm sure things will look up for you soon man :)

fish4striper
11-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Sorry for your loss Bob!

FishermanTim
11-25-2015, 01:14 PM
I know this sounds corny and kind of like a "Dr. Phil" spiel, but the best way to deal with any loss (after the initial feeling of loss which is normal) is to focus on how that person or pet enriched your life.
I've had pets that were put down due to age related health issues, and knowing what they were going through, I still remember how much joy they brought me and my family over the years.
I wish we could properly care for a pet now, so we could rekindle some of those feelings again, but we wouldn't be able to give the pet the time and caring it would deserve (elderly mother and siblings who all work full days).

Ay least my brother and sisters have "rescued" their pets from the local Animal Rescue facilities.

I know how I felt when I found out AFTER our first and second dogs were put down (different decades). I can sympathize with how your daughter felt, but sometimes you do what you think is best.

Give it time, and maybe you and your daughter can pick out your next "family member".

piemma
11-26-2015, 07:16 AM
My 10 Year old puppy became diabetic 2 months ago and she never responded well to the insulin or pain meds for her back legs.
She was losing weight by the day and I had hoped that she'd be here for the holidays but I was in denial and being selfish,her quality of life was failing by the day.

This morning before I went to work I went to put food in her bowl,but didn't because yesterday's food was still there and she couldn't get up to go out side like she always does.
I gave her a pet on the head and said see you when I get home,so off to work I went.

Got a phone call from the wife no more than a half an hour later,she said when she came downstairs she saw the pups was a mess & you need to come home now,today is the day when need to pup's to rest...

So I got home in time to see our daughter off to school she had no Idea of the dogs condition because she had two friends sleep over.
my wife and I brought the pups for the final ride I drove and my wife sat in back to comfort her.

It was a tuff morning and now when our daughter comes home from school we have to brake the news to her,and relive it again what a long day and what a chity year.

Like Clammer says enjoy what you have.

So sorry Bob. I'm dealing with the same think my 12 year old Mini Schnauzer is failing badly this morning. I'm as an impasse as to what to do as it's Thanksgiving and they only place I can bring her is Ocean State Vet Hospital. $1000 minimum charge and I know they will want to admit her. We gave her a dog sedative and will hope she will be better tomorrow. Will take her to our vet in the AM but I think it too will be her last ride.

5/0
11-26-2015, 08:23 AM
I feel for you Paul and It is a tough call to make,you can see it in there eyes that their quality of of life is failing but they will muster every thing they have for you & not give up.

It is tuff and I'm sorry, I will be thinking of the three of you today.

nightfighter
11-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Paul, I would call your vet at home, especially if you have been a long time client. These calls are part of their calling, IMO. Might want to see what they have on their answering machine first though.

Sea Dangles
11-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Jeez, I have 2 dogs that are 8 and 2 years old and I love them. Last year I took my Mom and her dog Oliver for the last ride. Pain in the butt dog, but I cried like a baby. I will never get over taking Angus,my beloved lab, for his last trip.....Have a great Thanksgiving guys and take solace in knowing you made the best decision for your best friend in the world.

ecduzitgood
11-26-2015, 10:04 AM
You have freed her from the pains and limitations of physical being and she will always be with you as long as you keep her in your thoughts.
Don't look at it as a loss but look at it as a liberation from her failing health and any of the discomfort she was experiencing.

5/0
11-26-2015, 10:33 AM
You have freed her from the pains and limitations of physical being and she will always be with you as long as you keep her in your thoughts.
Don't look at it as a loss but look at it as a liberation from her failing health and any of the discomfort she was experiencing.

Thanks Bud,I know you just went through this recently as well and I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately all of today's scraps from the turkey and ham will end up in the trash can instead of a patient watering mouth with laser beam eye's will not be on the receiving end this time...

piemma
11-27-2015, 08:57 AM
I feel for you Paul and It is a tough call to make,you can see it in there eyes that their quality of of life is failing but they will muster every thing they have for you & not give up.

It is tuff and I'm sorry, I will be thinking of the three of you today.

Bob, I also feel for you guys. headed for the Vet right now. We'll see what the good Doctor says.

Swimmer
11-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Sorry for your loss. Each one gets harder. Last time I was crying so hard I got the female vet bawling. Can't i.agine when Bella's time comes, she been the best of all pets.

5/0
11-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Sorry for your loss. Each one gets harder. Last time I was crying so hard I got the female vet bawling. Can't i.agine when Bella's time comes, she been the best of all pets.
Enjoy the time and don't think of the future/inevitable.
As always, clamer says

Enjoy what you have.

Words of wisdom. ...

5/0
11-28-2015, 10:11 PM
So sorry to hear that, Bob. You really have had a tougher year than anyone should have to go through. Give me a call if you need anything.
Thanks Buddy if you have any pull I want my 7 family members back that I lost in the past 8 months and a co worker & my pups!
That would be nice.
If not the rest of 15 can suck it...I'm dry now.

Nebe
11-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Thanks Buddy if you have any pull I want my 7 family members back that I lost in the past 8 months and a co worker & my pups!
That would be nice.
If not the rest of 15 can suck it...I'm dry now.

Good lord man. You lost 7 family members this year AND your dog?

I can't fully express how sorry I am to hear this because I can't even begin to process how hard that must be on your family.

So sorry.