View Full Version : Winter moths again 2015

nightfighter
11-27-2015, 05:31 PM
They are out again, and all I can think of is the damage their offspring will wreak in the spring. Don't know if I have winter moths or cankerworm moths, but I wish there was something I could do now to fight the coming onslaught and defoliation next spring.

Nebe
11-27-2015, 05:49 PM
What is up with these things? I don't remember them looking back 10 years. Are they invasive and new? I know they do a number on blueberries.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
11-27-2015, 05:51 PM
They have been horrible for 2 weeks now in my yard. I am going to need to spray my fruits at the exact right time or it will be another lost year. Timed it good last year but previous 2 years I did not and got nutin. The oaks will take another beating. Getting sick of it.

ProfessorM
11-27-2015, 05:52 PM
http://www.massaudubon.org/learn/nature-wildlife/insects-arachnids/winter-moths

The problem with these is they attack the bud and you don't realize it till it is too late so spraying and timing are critical. Took me a few years to realize what the hell was going on and still I mess it up.

ecduzitgood
11-27-2015, 07:38 PM
I read somewhere Rhode Island has released some type of a parasitic fly that will eventually control the problem given time.
I have been trying to find some type of sticky film or liquid to coat a transparent box with a light inside to trap them. I might try a batch of etex mixed incorrectly but feel there has to be a better way especially when it comes to resetting or cleaning it between harvest. Any suggestions appreciated....packing tape doesn't work so scratch that idea.

ProfessorM
11-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Yeah the flies have been released but I am skeptical it will work as there as so many now. Tanglefoot should work. Google it.

ecduzitgood
11-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Yeah the flies have been released but I am skeptical it will work as there as so many now. Tanglefoot should work. Google it.

Thank you!!!!! That should do it if I use a transparent stretch wrap and coat it. I notice they seem to be attracted to the window when a light is on so hopefully this idea works. I should probably look into their life cycle to see if it would work catching the months before they lay their eggs.
Just looked 15oz for $80 wow...I will keep looking since I really can't afford to invest that much on an idea that may not have any merit seeing as no one has come out with one for yet.

Dick Durand
11-28-2015, 08:02 AM
They'll raise havoc with trees again this spring, and I'll be washing my car more frequently.

FishermanTim
11-28-2015, 12:11 PM
They are definitely an invasive species.
The only effective treatment is spring spraying to kill the caterpillars.
You can try to control the moths, but since they can and will travel from other yards to yours, you would be fighting an uphill losing battle. (I know because I tried once.)

Reminds me of another invasive species from years ago.
The red lily leaf beetle was imported from Asia (starting point was Cambridge, MA) and they have spread throughout the eastern seaboard. They have no native predators, reproduce constantly, can defoliate all species of lilies EXCEPT daylilies.
What makes these little bastards so disgusting is that once they hatch, they begin to cover themselves with their own feces for protection.

I have only one tiger lily remaining from the half dozen I originally planted. They have already killed all the Easter lilies we've planted over the years a well.

Well, hopefully the parasitic flies will do their work without displacing any native species in the process!

Guppy
11-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Guy comes through the neighborhood last spring spraying, I buys in for $125.00 for all the trees (oak) front and sides, didn't lose a single leaf! Normally look like a war zone from the winter moths....

Come to find out he just gave up on a charter business after 25 yrs....
Says the people just aren't the same,,, "Gone Fishing". 😄 :)

Rockport24
11-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Oh my god I have never seen so many moths in my life!! Had them all over the place on Friday night it was insane, my screens were full of them! Then the next night, nothing!
When I moved in last August, I could tell the oak trees were hurting, but didn't know what it was, now I know! definitely will be spraying.

ProfessorM
11-30-2015, 07:38 PM
if you spray just make sure you do it at the right time. Once the little bastards get inside the bud it is nearly impossible for the spray to kill them. I use Sevin on my fruit trees and blueberries. The oaks are on their own, way too big and and too many of them.

Rockport24
12-01-2015, 12:40 PM
won't these things eventually kill the trees and then they are hazard of falling on my house??

ProfessorM
12-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Yeah they could. Similar results to the gypsy moths but they get in so early that the tree usually refoliate's itself which may help it but I am not real sure.