View Full Version : Winter cover talk

nightfighter
11-28-2015, 06:02 PM
I love shrink wrap, but not the cost nor the waste.
Seven years ago I bought a custom cover from boatcoversdirect.com for my Grady White 209 It has been great and remains in almost new condition. Cost at the time was about two years of shrink wrapping so I am well ahead of the game there.
However, there are some areas that sag, or have a belly that collect water, or in the case of last winter, snow.... I had to use my roof rake on it last winter.... I use 2x4s to support the 1x3 ridge pole and tie it off to the rails and cleats to support. But it need something else to fill out the bellies of material. Thinking about using pvc conduit and bending it from the rod storage under the rails, up to the ridge pole, and down to the other rod storage rack. Thoughts? Suggestions?

PRBuzz
11-28-2015, 07:01 PM
I also have a boatcoversdirect and find it is really critical to get it as tight as possible from bow-to-stern. I do this by fixing strap over the bow, tilt the engine sligtly and pull cover over as far as I can get it and attach straps tightly arond the lower unit of the outboard. I then tilt the engine lower to tighten the cover. Lastly I fix/attach all the side straps. For the most part keep it keeps all the snow off (bow section, nothing helps the T-top) but maybe on heavy, wet snow I do go out and brush off. BTW I have outriggers which I place a 2x4 across and wrap towels around each end (sharps) and fix with cable ties before putting up cover. Also seem to hep protect the nav light on T-top.

Pic shows way too much of a pocket for snow to collect in, done before using the engine to tighten as described. I use no PVC frame and this is the 8th season still looking like new.

wdmso
11-29-2015, 05:43 PM
I took the Cover over shrink wrap last year Cover cost me 200.00 bucks and if it last 3 seasons I will be ahead of the game over shrink wrap

the Cover it survived last winter this year a PVC pipe frame for like 40 buck should improve my covers performance ..

nightfighter
12-08-2015, 12:47 PM
I added two 1/2 inch PVC hoops, one behind the center console and one behind the leaning post. Seemed to do the trick. Got cover smooth and tight.

Piscator
12-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I also use a custom cover...been using it now for 5 years and well worth it over shrink wrap....

SolOmoN
12-12-2015, 09:34 PM
I bought a cover from boat covers direct and last year I just used that. This year I used the cover and then I put a tarp over the whole mess. It's big enough to cover just about down to the waterline. My thoughts are its more water proof/resistant than the boat cover and the snow will want to slide off the steep parts. Its over a 23' Sailfish cc. One ridge board from the front of the t-top to the bow and the back takes care of itself. Last year the problem for me was water and ice collecting on the t-top and just sitting and melting down into the boat so my hope this year is the tarp which took all of 1/2 hr to secure will remedy that.
sol...

beamie
12-13-2015, 09:16 AM
All you guys have the right idea for sure wrt being more economical.

Shrink wrap although nice is expensive, unless you invest in the gun and buy your own material then not so bad, your paying allot for that labor that you can do yourself....unless you don't want to. I just pulled my shrink-wrap over the boat for year 2, it is in ok shape.

The number one benefit of shrink-wrap is it is tight!!!!! Thus the wind won't get at it and the rain won't collect, snow will slide off since slippery. And it will let light through so when you working in there in the winter.

If you have a nice sturdy frame a custom cover or green, silver tarp will work just fine for a fraction of the cost. Just keep tight as best you can. I use to use canvas, still like canvas as it will breath a bit, but heavy so need a good frame.

I have often thought of getting 6 friends together and spitting the cost of shrink wrap stuff but just haven't done that yet. The one other drawback to shrink wrap is you get allot of mold if you don't have enough vents since it fits so tight, leaving you more springtime cleanup.

So in the long run the custom cover is the way to go if done right.

SolOmoN
12-13-2015, 11:42 PM
As a side note I posted this in the "other" forum.

I bought a Transheild cover a few years back. It is made out of shrink wrap material with a draw string waist. I used it for 3 seasons before I sold my boat and probably could of gotten another two out of it. They only sell through Amazon now I think, but when I bought it I got it directly from the factory for $160. They (Transhield) provide covers to the boat manufactures to ship from the factory.

http://transhield-usa.com/

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=transhield+boat+cover&sprefix=transhield%2Caps%2C427

The only thing I found is when you install it for the first time whatever support you use, you have to use the same layout the following years to get the same fit once the cover is shrunk.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh566/solomon32023/cov3.jpg_zpsp2mxkavp.png

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh566/solomon32023/cov1.jpg_zpsdelizmhq.png

Nebe
12-14-2015, 06:52 AM
If you are going the shrink wrap route, you can buy little zippered hatches and then attach a loose flap to cover the zippered hatch so you can go in and out all winter.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MakoMike
12-14-2015, 10:33 AM
The number one benefit of shrink-wrap is it is tight!!!!! Thus the wind won't get at it

To me that is the number one drawback. When I used to wrap my boat the wind working against that increased surface area broke sunshades, bow rails, and other small diameter metal piping.

big jay
01-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I took the Cover over shrink wrap last year Cover cost me 200.00 bucks and if it last 3 seasons I will be ahead of the game over shrink wrap

the Cover it survived last winter this year a PVC pipe frame for like 40 buck should improve my covers performance ..

Looks good.
I'm trying to copy your design now for my new boat.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer
01-06-2016, 09:41 PM
why cover it ?

The indians never did ............. don,t know any commercial guys that have done it either . summer rain /winter snow ......no difference :wid: