View Full Version : i need some advice

Anthony
03-07-2001, 02:52 PM
Hey everyone I just have a question........Well my grandmother has a house up in new hampshire right on the water pretty much (Rye Beach, NH) , and when i go up there for weeks at a time i fish everymorning (when tides are right) on the beach and i have yet to catch n e thing. I dont know what the problem is. when i go to the bait shop and ask the guys what they have been hitting on they tell me and i buy that bait. i have used mackeral and herring for my baits. Also with my 7 foot rod i use plugs and Kastmasters. I dont know what the problem is. If any one could give me n e information/opinions/help it would be much appreciated. thanks a bunch

Striperman

Tight lines!!!

Slipknot
03-07-2001, 03:11 PM
Are you fishing at night? Check out the beach in the day at low tide and note any holes or breaks in a sandbar. I know the stretch of beach you're talking of and you may have to move around a bit. find any structure of inlets and so forth.

Anthony
03-07-2001, 03:35 PM
hey slipknot, i have been there many times at low tide checking every thing out. The beach is all flat, no holes or n e thing, although if you go down towards the right it is all rocks about nine inches in diameterand some smaller, and at high tide you cant see them, the only thing is is that i think i would get hung up too many times if i was to fish over there.

JohnR
03-07-2001, 03:42 PM
If those rocks are the most structure you can find, that's one place to fish but there must be some differences in the bottom there. I t can't be flat all over the beach.

As far as size, bigger is better. Some of the spots we fish have VW size boulders to fish around...

Try working some inlets, especially on the dropping tide at night. Fish the in the vicinity of where the current bends just outside the mouth of the inlet.

Is this Kgus, etc??

MayorMcFish
03-07-2001, 04:26 PM
Seems strange...I was just asking someone about that area. LOOKS great for stripers. I would use a floating plug (mambo minnow?)and fish right on top of those rocks. You may not catch monsters, and you may get hung up a bit, but there must be schoolies in there. Email me when they show up, I'll give it a try.

JohnR
03-07-2001, 04:52 PM
MayorMcFish, welcome aboard!!

Anthony,

I have not fished that stretch as I fish up to Plum Island and then Jump north to Camp Ellis Maine but I took a look the coast line and you have alot of choices in that area. There are several small inlets there as well as many points that may develop rips and bars, so there definitely is some structure there to play with...

Here is a link to Terraserver, take a look...

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=14&T=1&X=111&Y=1487&Z=19&W=2

Anthony
03-08-2001, 10:05 AM
the only problem is that the waves break a lil bit out so when i cast my plug out it usually gets toppled by the waves. Any advice??? Also do you think there are any stripers up in new hampshire right now??? because i know the striper run that goes through the cape cod cannal during june-july and i was wondering if the stripers would be up there then or should i wait more till august?
One last thing, i have been wanting to try fishing for some flounder. There is this bridge up there and the water is all muddy. would this be good fishing grounds for flounder?? Any one have any tips on beginning flounder fishing and the tackle i would need, i am a striper fisherman and have been for many years and was wondering if that outfit would be ok for flounder.

Anthony

Tight Lines!

JohnR
03-08-2001, 10:24 AM
No stripers in NH now, at least not which you can really go after...the smaller fish will be there in late May and early June with the bigger stuff coming in July through September. That's the best time up there to chase bass. I would highly recommend you work some of those inlets and points as they will be more productive with moving water and structure and there seems to be a fair amount of it...

MayorMcFish
03-10-2001, 04:59 PM
Thanks John R.

Anthony...You might need a longer rod, but they swim right in the surf. I bet it's fine.

Anthony
03-11-2001, 06:45 PM
Well i have a 10' ugly stik. how close do the fish come in. how far showed i have to cast??

Jenn
03-11-2001, 08:35 PM
Don't know the area you are talking about but if it is any consolation I have caught them in as little as four feet of water!!!

MayorMcFish
03-12-2001, 09:03 AM
I've caught them in probably two feet of water or less! I have also had them hit just a few feet from shore.

JohnR
03-12-2001, 10:30 AM
I have seen fish in a foot of water, one reason not to just run into the surf but to work in front of it for your first few casts to avoid spooking any fish real tight to the shore...

You should really look into some of those inlets in that area. Between the tide dropping out of those rivers and the sandbars and other structure that are there at those inlets, you'll probably find your best concentrations of fish waiting for the bait to dump out of the river...