View Full Version : Opinions Needed

DZ
02-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Opinions needed. I’m working on an article about some special classic plugs. The topic includes mentioning the old tactic used by some of loading plugs with mercury. I’m staying away from specific applications for the obvious reasons when working with a very toxic substance that could cause major health issues. But in the interest in historical context I feel the topic needs to be documented. How do some of you feel about even mentioning this practice?

Nebe
02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
You could mention that it was used until fishermen realized rattle vibrations were better and started using bb's instead and they caught more.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

wdmso
02-02-2016, 08:41 AM
I have no insight in classic plugs However I am curious how a lure that caught for years or several years suddenly stops catching all together ?

Dick Durand
02-02-2016, 08:44 AM
In light of the historical nature of the article, perhaps mentioning the use of mercury is warranted with a note about its extreme toxicity. Talk to Cliff Richer who's had to deal with mercury abatement on the job to get an idea how dangerous mercury is.

Sea Dangles
02-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Many years ago when Campo liquidated, I bought a box of loaded red fins from him....

DZ
02-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Many years ago when Campo liquidated, I bought a box of loaded red fins from him....

Chris - please send me a PM if you still have some.

PaulS
02-02-2016, 10:22 AM
In light of the historical nature of the article, perhaps mentioning the use of mercury is warranted with a note about its extreme toxicity.

That is what I would do.

vineyardblues
02-02-2016, 10:59 AM
You should do One on lead 🙈🙈

Still used today and deadly on both the fish and people 👽

ThrowingTimber
02-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Just mention that they had been loaded with at times toxic chemicals. Those in the know will know, and no ones going to run out to grampas shed and grab his jar of mercury because now theyve found a use for it 😃

When you idiot proof something, they just make better idiots 😉

chuckg
02-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Since it's a historical fact, it should be mentioned…

Clogston29
02-02-2016, 02:44 PM
I would just mention/describe it and state that this is no longer practiced due to the toxicity of mercury. Its no different than a lot of things that were once common and no longer used: lead paint, cadmium in hooks, asbestos baby pajamas, etc.

thefishingfreak
02-02-2016, 05:59 PM
WTB mercury... :hidin:

tattoobob
02-02-2016, 06:58 PM
WTB mercury... :hidin:

Haha Mike,

Dennis
Just say something toxic and bad for the fish was used but don't mention it by name

yj1990
02-02-2016, 08:05 PM
how bad can it be when the government still put mercury in some vaccinations of our children.

cow tamer
02-03-2016, 06:11 AM
Don't older existing house thermostats still work off of mercury switches?

DZ
02-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone. Some good feedback. I think I'll provide the reasons for its use but stay away from specifics about the process as it's proprietary information. I always try and do as much research as I can before I put something in writing.

PRBuzz
02-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Can't change history as some others would tend to believe they can!

MAKAI
02-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Don't older existing house thermostats still work off of mercury switches?

Yup, the old round Honeywell T 87 if memory serves.

stripermaineiac
02-03-2016, 09:13 AM
LOL I remember way back and we would play with that stuff in science class rolling it around in the palm of our hands. Loads of old Honneywells still in use today and most are unaware of how bad that stuff is.

JohnR
02-03-2016, 10:40 AM
I have no insight in classic plugs However I am curious how a lure that caught for years or several years suddenly stops catching all together ?

Depends on the plug. Custom / Mass produced? Other environmental factors like lack of bait or maybe an influx of better bait / hatch??

In light of the historical nature of the article, perhaps mentioning the use of mercury is warranted with a note about its extreme toxicity. Talk to Cliff Richer who's had to deal with mercury abatement on the job to get an idea how dangerous mercury is.
:kewl:

LOL I remember way back and we would play with that stuff in science class rolling it around in the palm of our hands. Loads of old Honneywells still in use today and most are unaware of how bad that stuff is.

It is amazing we are alive today - kids tomorrow will live to be 200 (and frustrated for 100 years)

spence
02-03-2016, 10:48 AM
I don't see a problem mentioning it. I doubt someone is going to find a stash of old thermostats and rip them apart. With environmental compliance restrictions I don't think mercury is in much of anything new these days.

I do think it's worth telling the story about how dangerous the stuff is and the lengths crazy fisherman will go if they think it will gain them an advantage.

thefishingfreak
02-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Google it. it's already been mentioned, many times

In The Surf
02-03-2016, 04:50 PM
It is part of this sports history maybe worth mentioning , but also worth mentioning is it needs to stay in the past due to the hazards/danger of its use to all.
It's a loaded topic and a blemish to the sport, sorta like yoyoing.

tattoobob
02-03-2016, 06:02 PM
I don't see a problem mentioning it. I doubt someone is going to find a stash of old thermostats and rip them apart. With environmental compliance restrictions I don't think mercury is in much of anything new these days.

I do think it's worth telling the story about how dangerous the stuff is and the lengths crazy fisherman will go if they think it will gain them an advantage.

When I was residential plumbing in the 90's I used to remove the glass bulb full of mercury and save it, I ended up turning it in after all but I had a lot

chris L
02-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Go ahead and mention it , its historical . There are lots of things done in the past that was dangerous . Its what makes things known and hopefully not repeated . its only mercury sure its toxic but its still used often today . old round thermostats , old thermometers fluorescent lamps and every neon and argon sign has mercury in it after purification and there are millions of them still burning all over the world . its a small amount but its still there used to . Its not like nitro is being mentioned .

Your the author , you are the only one that knows what is right for your work and you . Love to read it when your done

zimmy
02-04-2016, 09:50 PM
I would mention it. Mercury is hard to come by, water works great, and the Sp minnow has filled the niche of weighted red fins for the most part anyway. Not the unweighted ones though.