View Full Version : Anyone need a long rod for reaching that continental shelf?

Patrick
03-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Was browsing through Ebay today, look what I found.
Now that's a surf rod! :D
Ebay Surfrod (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1119370238)

You just gotta laugh

Patrick
03-08-2001, 01:55 PM
here is an interesting joint-joint-jointed eel plug. I think it would be just about impossible to cast. I doubt the kind of action you could get from it. Who knows how it would look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1120314114

Patrick
03-08-2001, 01:56 PM
here is an interesting joint-joint-jointed eel plug. I think it would be just about impossible to cast. I doubt the kind of action you could get from it. Who knows how it would look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1120314114

JohnR
03-08-2001, 02:10 PM
The rod is a joke. There are extremely few that need a rod at that length for anything but show or signs of a previous lobotmoy. I like the detail picture of the guides. Pac Bay must feel pretty stinking proud copmparing their products to that. Now I'm not an engineer, but can that guide be much more inefficient??

As far as the plug? I had a black, 3 jointed broomstick plug a couple years ago that caught several smaller 12-15# keerpers before I broke it off. I also had some luck on the cape with a jointed Capn' Andy plug. So I would not assume that the plug won't catch fish. No to mention that it's from Stetzko and if he puts a plug together, he probably ain't doing it to pull a prank on someone...

Saltheart
03-08-2001, 03:26 PM
They use big giant rods like that in England but I never heard of one 17 feet long!! I have heard of 13 and 15 footers though. The lure is interesting. Thats a big fish lure as in "big lure , big fish". Question , Who has a better chance of landing a big fish. Tony with that lure in one night or Patrick with everything he's got , all season long? :) You're just unlucky Patrick. In a random grab of people selling lures , you just happened to pick a lure from Striperman himself.

Mike P
03-08-2001, 04:03 PM
Tony's father made that plug. Tony Sr has quite a few big bass under his belt, biggest, I think, is in the 60s. Where the Stetzkos fish, plugs don't have to cast well to catch. There is probably nothing that casts worse than a skin plug---but, like saltheart says, I'll put a skin plug up against everything in Patrick's bag for getting the biggest bass of the season, in the waters the Stetzkos fish.

Patrick
03-08-2001, 04:45 PM
Hey hey hey. I wasn't badmouthing the dude or saying I was a better fisherman. I'm just saying that thing looks like it would be impossible to cast. If you weighted the end and could get it to lay out straight on the cast, I think it could be a killer lure. This is what I picture happening. The tail end and the middle piece twisting to the side and all of a sudden, you're trying to chuck a block of wood.

As for bringing a lure like that to my area. HA! I've gotten laughed at when I brought live eels, a danny plug, a Robert's lure Ranger plug(those hard plastic ones that weigh around 3 oz), 7 inch Bomber, a 1 oz. Casting Swimmer, a Boone Needlefish, a 5/8 oz casting swimmer. Oh yeah, who could forget when I whipped out the 10' St. Croix. They all laughed.

Can you imagine that? I got laughed at all of those. I can't wait until I see their reaction to the rigged eel, sluggos, darter and Hab's needlefish and Super Shad Rap I have coming in the mail. (Hopefully today, cross your fingers) And then when they see me with a teaser 2 feet above lure and something as crazy as a manual bail.

The thing is, I know those lures are fish catchers, I know they are. I know I'm working them right. It's just large fish are few and far between where I am. At least I think they are few and far between. No one targets them. It sounds more impressive to them if you say, "I got 15 bass today" as opposed to one. They just forget to mention the size. I just figure I would have better luck for big fish if I target big fish exclusively.

JohnR
03-08-2001, 05:15 PM
The "SR" part did not dawn on me. Wasn't paga -ing attencion, I guess. The father of Anton "JR" - that's cool... Striperman Sr...

Ditto on the skin plugs...

Patrick, what difference does it make what those people are calling you. If you fall victim to everyone that says something bad to or about you, you'll lead a dull and frustrating life (or worse). Use what you've learned from out on the water, from the Internet and whatever else you've paid attenion (if even remotely) and Go Fish!! Catch a few big fish and when they ask you what did say, "chunked bunker".

Big fish might not hang there like they do off Nauset, Block, or Montauk but they do get them there. What's the CT record fish? 73 pounds from New Haven or Norwalk harbor, I forget which.

We were fishing that WICC tourney last July. Fishing AT PENNFIELD REEF, my friend Jeff had a bass tear into a drifted bunker chunk and put his 6500SS into overdrive. He worked the fish for 15 minutes before the line parted (not the best line, 17# test) but it was a big fish and it wasn't a blue. I've gotten a few not far from there into the high teen pound range. Not BIG fish but respectable and edible.

Marc Z
03-08-2001, 08:41 PM
Patrick,
Anybody who knows anything about fishing isn't going to laugh at you if you bring those things to the beach in CT.
And also don't be fooled, like John said there may not be such large numbers of big fish down here in CT like in the Cape, but there are big fish. You can get into a big fish at Penfield if you fish the right time and tide, it's been done many times before, right there under your nose and also at other places very close by. As far as nobody targeting them, that's probably because your asleep after 10:00pm and don't see us. (I wanted to put a smile face here but don't know how).
The point is use eels and fish at night and you'll get big fish in CT.

John,
The fish was caught in New Haven Harbor on memorial weekend back in the early 90's and was 74lbs+. Caught on bunker (always big schools in the harbor that time of year).
Can't believe it, 74lbs!!!!!!!!! Right here in CT. I guess that goes to show you that you never do know.
MZ

JohnR
03-08-2001, 10:25 PM
Het Mark,
How's the little guy?? E-mail a picture when you're ready and we'll put him up. Catch of the year this year!! (I won last year). If you click on the "Emotions Legend" to the left of the message box when replying, you'll see the symbols to add for the smilies. EX, if you put a semi-colon and a capital D next to each other with spaces on either side, (remove brackets as there is no way to display it) [;D] you'll get a ;D

Patrick, Mark is right. Many people have been catching large fish right under your nose. Time and tide waits for no one. There are many reasons for that old saw. Get out at night!!! Join a local club!!!

Patrick
03-08-2001, 11:52 PM
It's sorta funny. I read an article that says if you lose hope in the lure you are using, the chances that you are going to catch a fish with it decrease dramatically. Your mind subconciously makes you work the lure a little to fast or with your rod in the wrong position. A lot of the guys I fish with ummm, aren't great anglers in the conventional sense. They land good size fish. A lot of them have caught 20lb blues, 20lb+ bass. Sometimes I think it's luck. They catch fish so I'm not saying they are bad anglers, they just go about it in a different way than you guys and how I'm going to fish. For example, most of the people where I fish chunk. A hi-lo rig is non-existent, most the time they use fishfinder rigs, some of them just use a 3-way swivel deal. Lures always seem to be the same old producers. Small Fin-S fish or some type of rubber shad or your krocodiles and kastmasters. You don't see teasers, you don't see wooden lures, you don't see big lures. They don't use pencil poppers. No braided lines or fused lines. Everything is monofilament. So everthing boils down to small soft plastics, poppers or a chunk of frozen bait. I'm sorta sick of fishing for small fish with few options to choose from.
I finally showed a kid how to do an off the ground cast with a 3oz. Ranger lure. Never saw eyes so wide :D

Got my gear from TimS today. Everything is great. He ran out of the shallow rigged eels I wanted but that's okay I guess. I'll buy some large Fin-S from the local shop or a use it towards an Atom Jr. It's not like I'm going to throw that money away.

If I could suggest a lure to some of you guys who are looking to try something different, look at the Rapala Super Shad Rap. I got mine in a shad color. Nice body profile with some nice super sharp hooks on them. I just have a gut feeling it's going to slaughter the bass in the spring and the fall when shad start their migrations. Might toss that sand eel/silverside fly on in front of it so it looks like a shad chasing a sand eel.

And boy, was I suprised by the Hab's Needlefish! That's one serious plug. I got the smallest one in the black/grey and that is one heavy lure. I can't wait to use that one too.

Let's all go pray to the weather gods.

JohnR
03-09-2001, 05:09 PM
I'll consider your rattle trap super left-handed shad (not sure what it even looks like) if I'm in the mood or after you tell me you've had some good success with it. But I don't want to try it just because it looks good ;P . If it is what I think I think it is, isn't that a big lipped, deep diver?? That would hang up in most of the areas I fish...

Patrick
03-09-2001, 06:31 PM
John,

I took a little pic of the Super Shad Rap for you. It has a pretty funky lip.

I think it looks good though.

Marc Z
03-09-2001, 06:41 PM
John,
The little guy is doing fine and is growing like a champ. The scary part is way behind us, thanks for asking.
Also, thanks for the tip on the smiles ;-)
MZ

JohnR
03-09-2001, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the pic Patrick...

Mark, good to hear about the little guy. Of course you'r probably up to your eyeballs with soggy, green mustard like soiled diapers, Ah the joys of Parenthood :P !!