View Full Version : Fuji Concept K and mono

basswipe
02-14-2016, 02:17 PM
How well does mono(Ande Backcountry) and these guides perform?I've been told mono does not perform well with the K guides.I am a hater of braid.

I need a 2pc rod for the car and found a Tsunami Airwave Elite for super short money.Getting tired of jamming 1pc rods into the Corolla and worrying about some punk stealing my good gear.

JohnR
02-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Good question. I have not used mono in a while on a surf rod but I would be concerned that the memory in the mono might knot up quicker on that setup.

MAKAI
02-14-2016, 11:08 PM
May be apples to oranges. I've been using for sweetwater a st croix avid x with a carbon stradic and 10 # braid. Stripper guide is k style and the rest are micro sized. Had no problems with the braid. But it fishes better when I switched to mono, cast smoother too. Fwiw
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

DZ
02-15-2016, 09:13 AM
The old rule of thumb when using mono was the first or stripping guide needed to be close to the diameter of your reel spool. That is why most stripping guides were 30 to 60 mm Otherwise your casts were not as efficient or smooth. I imagine you could still use the K guides with a small diameter stripping guide but it may not be the most efficient when using mono and you need distance.

stripermaineiac
02-15-2016, 09:33 AM
A long way back Fuji an Lew Childre showed the high frame with small diameter guide tings made for long range ccasting . this was way befor braid. Fenwich made a series of rods called the Big Surf Stick series made for the pendilum casting system. John Holden wrote a book about distance casting using small frame guides and mono. Reel spool diameter was our resistance to the idea. I built quite a few rods -surf rods- for people back then using the Zyflex blanks and Dynaflex blanks with the Fuji 30 mm high frame as the ist guide and for some the 40 mm high frame as the ist guide. The set-ups went 30,20,16,12,12 10 then the tip. the 40set up was 40,24,16,16,12,12,10. These blanks were fast action with light tip at the last 2 to 3 feet of the blank. The K frame and micro wave should work even better. just remember that mono is affected by cold where braid isn't unless its so cold ice forms in the fibers. Find someone with a Kframe set-up rod and ask them to let you give it a try. home this helps. Ron

ivanputski
02-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Concept guide with a small diameter stripper guide will actually rob you of casting distance if using mono. The memory that mono holds from the spool diameter simply will not efficiently choke down to a smaller diameter fast enough , and will kill your casting distance. You are looking at 3 options:
1. Get used to braid
2. Rebuild the rod cone of flight layout ( there goes your great deal)
3. Use mono and have a short cast that makes a loud whirrrrrrrrl sound as the mono struggles to get through the tiny stripper guide.

I recommend option 1

basswipe
02-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Great input,thanks.

The money for the rod was so ridiculously short I bought it anyway.I'll give it a shot with mono but ivanputski's recommendation of getting used to braid will more than likely be the easiest solution.I would imagine braid has changed quite a bit since the last time I tried it 3 seasons ago.

ivanputski
02-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Once you get used to braid, you will wonder how you got by without it. These are good problems to have in life!

basswipe
02-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Once you get used to braid, you will wonder how you got by without it. These are good problems to have in life!

Mono or braid?This pole or that reel?Imagine if life were that easy.Good problems indeed!

Anyway I'll give it a try and if it doesn't workout either way I already have someone who'll take rod for what I paid for it.

ivanputski
02-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Contact me if you cant sell it!

ivanputski
02-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Contact me if you cant sell it!