View Full Version : Old fishing photos of ourselves?

nightfighter
02-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Found this going through all the old photos with my siblings. Funny thing is I remember this day in August 1968.
Also found a lot of hunting photos of my father, as well as some ice fishing, which I never knew he did....

ProfessorM
02-15-2016, 07:13 PM
good one Ross

MAKAI
02-15-2016, 07:29 PM
OK I'll bite.
September 1970, live mac off the lobster pier at Boston harbor marina.
We would fill the captains barrels with macs, they would give us lobsters to take home to our moms. Win win for all involved. Btw, I had lost that same fish earlier in the day, my gold eagle claw bait holder hook was still jammed in the corner of it's mouth. Macs must be like crack to them.

numbskull
02-16-2016, 11:53 AM
I can still see my first glimpse of this 28# one from Sow and Pigs on an Alou Eel trailing a long string of kelp as clearly as the moment it happened.
The most gratifying fish I will ever catch.

ProfessorM
02-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Didn't know the camera was invented yet when you caught that one.
All great momentos.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers
02-16-2016, 01:06 PM
I was pre-fishing for a club tournament in early April back in 1982 I think, the small bass is a 6-1/2 lber and the large one was 9.2 and my largest in mass. I didn't have a camera back then, but was lucky enough to find someone that had one and was able to snap the photo before releasing them back near the head of the herring run where I caught them. That week we had 6" of rain and let's just say the tournament fishing wasn't anywhere near like that day. It was the most weight in the fewest casts I've ever had freshwater, four fish in maybe 8 casts in 40 feet of shoreline and 26 lbs total.

Mike P
02-16-2016, 01:43 PM
This had to be at least 30 years ago---first MV bass, or at least the first Vineyard keeper in the 36" era.

That's not my Waggy, though. :D

Mike P
02-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Moving forward about 8-10 years, a decent Canal bass from the mid-90s.

I'm thinking I'm about late 30s here.

bart
02-16-2016, 08:43 PM
13 years old. 1996. Braces. Canal. Pogie chunk. Awkward fish pose. Released (hook was in roof of mouth, hence the blood).

Slipknot
02-16-2016, 09:36 PM
from 1968 we used to walk a long ways for the day as kids to the Weymouth reservoir to fish. I am the cool one on the right.
I am not able to make larger and rotate it because I am dumb

Bart, is that Murphy's beach or Pips rip?

MAKAI
02-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Slip, what neighbors yard did you toss those fish in ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bart
02-17-2016, 01:29 AM
from 1968 we used to walk a long ways for the day as kids to the Weymouth reservoir to fish. I am the cool one on the right.
I am not able to make larger and rotate it because I am dumb

Bart, is that Murphy's beach or Pips rip?

Pips, Slip!

DZ
02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Back in the early 1970s, high school, 31 pounds taken on a snagged live pogie. I have the dubious distinction of being the very inspiration for Napoleon Dynamite ;)

JohnR
02-17-2016, 11:06 AM
Wish I still had some of those photos, especially when young and with parents and grandparents!

Great shots everyone!

In The Surf
02-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Wow Dennis, early 70's would explain the hair.
Love these old photos.

nightfighter
02-17-2016, 04:07 PM
My dad was a piece of work. Loved a good time. But had seen the horrors of war and didn't tolerate chit. The crew he hunted with were a rough and tumble band of brothers from the army and GE. We howled when we found this 2"x2" photo. My brother has the other one where he is holding a beer can! Wish we had found pics from his swordfishing tourneys.

tattoobob
02-17-2016, 08:15 PM
I have no Pictures of me fishing as a kid because I hated fishing. It was only when I was an adult with young kids and my brother wanted to take my kids fishing and made me go with them, He put a rod in my hand and said cast over there I landed a 4 pound large mouth on the lake we live on at the time and the rest is history
Early 90's I think

In The Surf
02-17-2016, 09:53 PM
My dad was a piece of work. Loved a good time. But had seen the horrors of war and didn't tolerate chit. The crew he hunted with were a rough and tumble band of brothers from the army and GE. We howled when we found this 2"x2" photo. My brother has the other one where he is holding a beer can! Wish we had found pics from his swordfishing tourneys.

Now that is a funny pic. Bet your dad is laughing at this now from the great beyond.

Rockfish9
02-19-2016, 09:42 AM
great pictures here guy's... I love seeing what shaped us into the fisherman we are today... I wish I had a few to share, unfortunately all were lost in a house fire when I was a senior in high school...

RickBomba
02-24-2016, 08:40 AM
It's too bad that I literally sent all of my old fishing photos to a buddy on mine who was a mixed media acrylic/bronze casting BFA major with me at school. He's doing a big piece for my office.

Mikey might have some old ones around. I know he and my dad have been busy. I'll look at my house one more time and see.

There was a great one with me and about a 1000# tuna being held up by a bucket loader at Brunelle's Marina in 1976. The guy who caught it was crazy. He was a junk dealer, and bolted a lawn chair on the bow of his boat. He used to go out with the big old penn senators and let the tuna drag him around, when it was just the Gloucester guys and the Moonies out on Stellwagen fishing for tuna.

He got this one, had his brother stop by a skating rink and pick up the ice from a zamboni, and picked it up with a 10 yard dump and drive it back to South Hadley. He somehow talked to #^&#^&#^&#^&y and we went down there to take pictures.

I remember being next to it and the eye being almost as big as my head.

If I'm wrong on this story, #^&#^&#^&#^&y can correct me. I think his name was Stan Haberman. I have no idea where that pic would be.

Jim in CT
02-24-2016, 09:12 AM
I can still see my first glimpse of this 28# one from Sow and Pigs on an Alou Eel trailing a long string of kelp as clearly as the moment it happened.
The most gratifying fish I will ever catch.

That is one awesome photo!!

RIROCKHOUND
02-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Tautog found this one in his files. 1997 fishing with Mike Behan out of Newport. I did the tournaments yearly for a few years w/ Mike and learned a lot. Wouldn't kill a blue dog nowadays just to weigh, but what the hell. We racked up some serious numbers back then; 30 shark days weren't out of the norm...

bassballer
02-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Tautog found this one in his files. 1997 fishing with Mike Behan out of Newport. I did the tournaments yearly for a few years w/ Mike and learned a lot. Wouldn't kill a blue dog nowadays just to weigh, but what the hell. We racked up some serious numbers back then; 30 shark days weren't out of the norm...

Fishing on his old Cabo? 96' i believe?

Guppy
03-02-2016, 11:16 AM
my hoodlum fishing buddies from back in are high school or right after days,,,, I believe we're standing in front of Red Top,,,, 64 to 67 ?.... I was probably past out in the junker... LOL
I still see these guys and have a breakfast get together once a month with one of them...