View Full Version : Shore codfishing get together?

Rob Rockcrawler
02-19-2016, 09:44 AM
I know it was mentioned as the striper season was coming to a close. Anyone want to give it a shot some weekend. I think February and March were mentioned as prime time. Someone in the know about how they use to bite in RI back in the day can chime in with preferred tides/moons, spots etc... DZ?

DZ
02-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Pick a night Rob. The more the merrier. Maybe on this upcoming moon tide when high water is around 7-9pm. Squid or clams on the bottom. I know the spots.

Jim in CT
02-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Pick a night Rob. The more the merrier. Maybe on this upcoming moon tide when high water is around 7-9pm. Squid or clams on the bottom. I know the spots.

Is shore cod-fishing a vuable fishery again? You can legitimately target them? Glad to hear it, god luck, please post pictures if you go, woul dlove to see them. Until this year, the only cod I ever caught were when I was little, on the Frances fleet trips. Last year, while toggin only about a half mile south of the Narrow River, we picked up a couple. I was really surprised, th ecaptain (and some sharpies here) said it's getting more and more common of a by catch.

Beautiful, beautiful fish.

DZ
02-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Not sure if it's viable as I haven't been in many, many, years. But either has anyone else so we would never know. The only way is to try and with more and more cod near-shore in the past few seasons who knows? Nothing like hearing a drag pull on a dark night in late winter on a New England shore and putting your necklight on your partners 40 pound codfish in the wash and saying "holy crap"!

MakoMike
02-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Its not really a viable fishery, but having said that, an excursion could be fun and you just might catch a couple. Perfectly legal, there is no closed season in RI, but fish have to be 22 inches to keep.

DZ
02-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Back in the day most fish were under 10 pounds and it wasn't like we were bailing them. If we got one or two a night each it was good fishing. Quite a few skunkings. We generally fished 2-3 hours because it's, ummm, cold. Think of it as ice fishing with less exercise. Dress warm, hand warmers, two spiked rods, and conversation.

Jim in CT
02-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Back in the day most fish were under 10 pounds and it wasn't like we were bailing them. If we got one or two a night each it was good fishing. Quite a few skunkings. We generally fished 2-3 hours because it's, ummm, cold. Think of it as ice fishing with less exercise. Dress warm, hand warmers, two spiked rods, and conversation.

Sounds enjoyable to me. The invention of fleece and Gore-tex make that sound a lot easier than going out there in hooded sweatdshirts and jeans.

niko
02-19-2016, 03:10 PM
in the late 90s I was fishing race pt a lot. one night we came down the big hill to drive on the beach and could hear fish breaking - but not see much. I tossed a popper in the direction and was instantly on. nice fat cod on topwater in the dark. the cod blitz it lasted over an hour till the sun came up. pretty cool experience

Jim in CT
02-19-2016, 04:40 PM
in the late 90s I was fishing race pt a lot. one night we came down the big hill to drive on the beach and could hear fish breaking - but not see much. I tossed a popper in the direction and was instantly on. nice fat cod on topwater in the dark. the cod blitz it lasted over an hour till the sun came up. pretty cool experience

Cool indeed, you won't forget that anytime soon. I caght a 5 pound fluke on a Gibbs Polaris popper in the middle of a bluefish frenzy once. Doesn't come close to a cod blitz...

Clammer
02-19-2016, 06:59 PM
I,ll be good for that ><> do you have to use rods & reels ?????????/:lasso:

In The Surf
02-20-2016, 12:30 AM
I,ll be good for that ><> do you have to use rods & reels ?????????/:lasso:

Mike if you show for this I will certainly give consideration on showing up myself. :fishin::ss:

Ian
02-20-2016, 12:58 AM
Can you have a fire on the RI shore in the offseason? Might help pass the time, etc.

I'd be interested if schedules allow (meaning if it's on the weekend)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer
02-20-2016, 07:38 AM
ITS <<<<< Does this mean your asking me out ??? In the dunes ><><>:soon:

MakoMike
02-20-2016, 12:05 PM

I was on a Frances fleet trip once when were fishing right off the beach there, couldn't have been much more than 15 feet of water and we were bailing cod.

In The Surf
02-20-2016, 04:01 PM
ITS <<<<< Does this mean your asking me out ??? In the dunes ><><>:soon:

:jester: :morons: :love: :humpty: Thanks for the offer and the idea. I just might have to bring Janette along.

Clammer
02-20-2016, 04:52 PM
GREAT 3 ALWAYS BETTER :lurk:

piemma
02-20-2016, 04:59 PM

OK, I'm in. As long as I'm around Let's get something locked down.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-21-2016, 07:53 AM
I can do any of there dates coming up.
Feb 27, few days past the full
Mar 5th few days before new
Mar 19, probably week tides
Mar 26th, near the next full

We could get a consensus going and do this. I really can only do Saturday nights this time of year, if another day works for everyone that is fine i just want pics of the steakers getting bailed.

bobber
02-21-2016, 10:19 PM
I had one from Latimers Reef inside Fishers Island last summer (from a boat- but it was only 15 feet deep.....)

they can be found close to home-

Rob Rockcrawler
02-23-2016, 09:50 AM
How bout this saturday some guys will probably be going to the RISSA show. Head down to the shore after the show? Anyone in? Looks a bit windy as of right now, 25-30 kt winds from w-sw.

Green Light
03-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Could be interesting. :-)

Rob Rockcrawler
03-01-2016, 09:57 PM
I'm sure it will be a good time. Lets get some interest in it!