View Full Version : New Fish Trap Location in Narragansett?

DZ
02-23-2016, 02:55 PM
FYI: Due to the Deepwater Wind cable construction in Narragansett it appears that the Fish Trap location at Black Point will be closed. It also appears that there might be movement to relocate this trap to another section of shoreline. RIDEM appears to be looking to revise the fish trap rules and regs at a few meetings in March. It behooves area surfcasters to keep an eye on this. I've attached the appropriate files.

Jim in CT
02-23-2016, 03:06 PM
DZ, who owns the trap in question? I sin intrusive to boating or fishing in that area? Just curious.

DZ
02-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Not sure which company owns that site license. Fish Trap laws are very complicated. There are lots of site locations which are leased. RI Regs state that each site must be actively fished at some point in the previous calendar year to be eligible for license renewal. We in Newport found out the hard way that the state overlooks this requirement as in recent years we had three new traps set up in locations that hadn't been trap fished in a generations. Some were set at public access shoreline areas. The time to find out about this proposed relocation is now.

Clammer
02-23-2016, 03:46 PM
DZ the owner of the black point fish trap sold to National grid with N/G assuming that was where they were going to bring the cable in , Narragansett told them [no thanks[ ,,,so the state is having it come in directly from League rock ......under the beach & under the road & will hook up in the 2nd parking lot / that will all be underground . They are running a 2nd above ground but incased in cement , But that isn,t suppose to stop the electrical field .
rumor has it that the DEM has already sold two fish trap licenses & one might or both maybe setup in the bay . there are 12 oe 13 sites in the bay approved for traps/ or gill nets ><><>:lossinit:

Also a rumor that they are looking at 50 more to be erected around Coxes Ledge ,if true I don,t understand the draggers & party boats not being up in arms ><><:wid:

I meant 50 wind turbines

DZ
02-23-2016, 03:51 PM
DZ the owner of the black point fish trap sold to National grid with N/G assuming that was where they were going to bring the cable in , Narragansett told them [no thanks[ ,,,so the state is having it come in directly from League rock ......under the beach & under the road & will hook up in the 2nd parking lot / that will all be underground . They are running a 2nd above ground but incased in cement , But that isn,t suppose to stop the electrical field .
rumor has it that the DEM has already sold two fish trap licenses & one might or both maybe setup in the bay . there are 12 oe 13 sites in the bay approved for traps/ or gill nets ><><>:lossinit:

Also a rumor that they are looking at 50 more to be erected around Coxes Ledge ,if true I don,t understand the draggers & party boats not being up in arms ><><:wid:

Thanks Clammer - I'm sure this topic might be hot around the RISAA show. I have a few inquiries out there.

Dick Durand
02-24-2016, 09:00 AM
As Clammer pointed out, the Black Point Fish Trap Co. was compensated by National Grid as were 5 or 6 other commercial fishermen who proved to have a history affected by the windfarm. Located an article in The Independent that said the owner of the fish trap is Alan Glidden. Nevertheless, there's still cause for concern.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-24-2016, 09:54 AM
In regards to the wind farm... Will the cables be buried to both Block and the Mainland? If not then they really cant have draggers in that area. I am probably off base here but i am thinking the additional 50 fish traps/gill nets on Coxes may be a compromise to the area around the wind farm that may be off limits to draggers.

SweetD
02-24-2016, 09:58 AM
I sent a letter to the editor of the Independent regarding this story. We'll see if it makes the paper...definitely something to be concerned about.

Clammer
02-24-2016, 11:17 AM
R/R not
traps or nets on coxes .. but possible additional turbines >><,

DZ
02-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Received a reply from RIDEM about a possible re-location of the Black Point Floating Fish Trap:

{Due to the cable placement the FFT at Black Point will not be in operation anymore. We're not sure exactly how things will play out, but can say that if there is an action to move that FFT or something like that, there will be a full public process as it is a regulatory matter.
Please don’t misinterpret that this is what is going to happen, I am just suggesting that it is a possibility. We're really not sure how things will end up at this point, we are still working through the logistics. Point is that we are very cognizant of public access and want to make sure that we will not impact access in any meaningful way, therefore we will make sure we get full public vetting with anything that is done.}

Stay tuned.

bart
02-24-2016, 01:25 PM
I don't like when public access is mentioned in these types of scenarios. Access wasn't compromised where the other trap is so I don't see why they even mentioned it.

Makes me nervous...

DZ
02-24-2016, 02:01 PM
I don't like when public access is mentioned in these types of scenarios. Access wasn't compromised where the other trap is so I don't see why they even mentioned it.

Makes me nervous...
Rob,
The response from DEM about public access was likely prompted from my statement and initial questions which included:

{Area surfcasters are concerned about the potential of gear conflict in new areas. Just trying to find out if the rumors are true and if any potential new trap locations are in publicly accessible shoreline areas.}

I know years ago a trap lead was attached directly to First Rock near Monahan's. Maybe it still is - I don't fish that way much anymore. Not sure what kind of impact it had on fish movement but you could cast right next to it.

bart
02-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Dennis.

That one at First Rock is still there and the rocks leading to it and around it are easily accessible to the public, that's why I was confused.

Thanks for clarifying.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-24-2016, 05:06 PM
R/R not
traps or nets on coxes .. but possible additional turbines >><,

That makes more sense than loading up the area with gil nets.

Dennis, thanks for keeping us informed on these things.

Dick Durand
02-24-2016, 05:08 PM
It wasn't that many years ago when someone wanted to set a FFT directly in front of the center wall of the Harbor of Refuge, which fortunately was deemed a navigational hazard. I have visions of places where a trap would simply be a surfcasters's nightmare.

MakoMike
02-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Just want to point out that Cox's is all federal water, so anyone who has a valid federal gillnet or trap permit can go out there and fish there right now, no additional permits needed and RI has nothing to say about it.

Steve K
02-26-2016, 09:55 AM
In regards to the wind farm... Will the cables be buried to both Block and the Mainland? If not then they really cant have draggers in that area. I am probably off base here but i am thinking the additional 50 fish traps/gill nets on Coxes may be a compromise to the area around the wind farm that may be off limits to draggers.

The cables are being buried.

SweetD
04-08-2016, 05:22 PM
My Op/Ed response finally got published this week in the SC Independent:

http://www.independentri.com/independents/ind/opinion/letters/article_6046e73e-17bf-5886-9a35-81ad2e807fd1.html