View Full Version : Chumming

Rmarsh
02-28-2016, 08:41 AM
I'm fairly new to boat fishing and would like opinions and advice on using chum to attract and catch striped bass.
Thanks

niko
02-28-2016, 12:31 PM
it works for sure. just load up a cooler w/ pogies or mackerel and start chopping it up into small pieces and the occasional bigger chunk. anchor uptide of your desired structure and set up a slick. drift your hook baits back into the slick as naturally as you can. a lot of bites that you get will be fish swimming up the slick so pay attention to your line. bring some help for chopping as its tedious and you want to keep it going steady. ive never used frozen chum - though im sure it would work. the downside to chumming = dogfish

Rmarsh
02-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the good explanation Niko....much appreciated. .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie
02-28-2016, 05:39 PM
The dogfish no where near as bad as they were in the past

nightfighter
02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
I don't chum as much as I could, but it definitely increases the odds in your favor. I have a couple different methods;
The most common, and my least favorite, simply cutting and throwing.
Meat grinder. Get one on the cheap at a yard sale. Figure how to mount to a board, wood, or preferably starboard. Can be used on shore to grind and fill containers (wax cardboard milk or oj) to be frozen for future use. Or mounted board attached to the rail onboard. Best to have grinder mounted to the outboard side so the ground chum falls over the side.
Third is a Chum Churn. Google it. They aren't made any more but you can find them secondhand. Usually from owners that found them too big to store onboard. I got mine when a dump employee saw one about to go in the pit and grabbed it for me, since he knew I fished!

PRBuzz
02-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Can only buy chum churn used but check this out, works good: http://chumcutter.com/

thefishingfreak
02-28-2016, 10:08 PM
If there's dogs or blues mixed in use pogie heads. one point of the treble thru the lips.
The dogs and blues will pick them up and shake them but they can't eat them and will spit them out. A bass will just inhale it. Leave the rod in the holder and don't touch it no matter what until it's taking drag. THAT Is The key.
You also can't chum in fish that aren't there. They aren't sharks they will only come from so far away. So you have to be in the right place at the right time. Chumming is a way to keep them under the boat and interested.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MakoMike
02-29-2016, 10:35 AM
it works for sure. just load up a cooler w/ pogies or mackerel and start chopping it up into small pieces and the occasional bigger chunk. anchor uptide of your desired structure and set up a slick. drift your hook baits back into the slick as naturally as you can. a lot of bites that you get will be fish swimming up the slick so pay attention to your line. bring some help for chopping as its tedious and you want to keep it going steady. ive never used frozen chum - though im sure it would work. the downside to chumming = dogfish

You can also use frozen clam bellies, Just anchor further away to take into account the buoyancy of the clam bellies which tend to float more than fish chunks. We used to do it regularly under the lighthouse in Montauk.