View Full Version : 2016 GOM cod and haddock regs

MakoMike
03-03-2016, 12:12 PM
NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Rule to Increase Recreational Fishing Opportunities for Gulf of Maine Cod and Haddock

NOAA Fisheries seeks comments on a proposed rule published today in the Federal Register to modify recreational fishery management measures for Gulf of Maine cod and haddock, including daily bag limits, size limits, and seasonal possession restrictions.

We are proposing to increase recreational fishing opportunities for Gulf of Maine cod and haddock starting May 1.

The proposed changes would allow anglers to retain one cod per day during the months of August and September and keep up to 15 haddock per day for most of the fishing year. This action would increase recreational fishing opportunities for cod and haddock, enabling the fishery to achieve, but not exceed, anticipated catch limits.

Read the proposed rule and the accompanying documents, and send in your comments by March 18 via the Federal eRulemaking Portal or by sending mail to:

John K. Bullard
Regional Administrator
NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Region
55 Great Republic Drive
Gloucester, MA 01930

Please mark the outside of the envelope, "Comments on groundfish recreational fishing management measures."

Questions about this proposed rule? Contact William Whitmore, 978-281-9182; William.Whitmore@noaa.gov.

Rob Rockcrawler
03-03-2016, 11:34 PM
Looks like all the party boats will leave the docks this year if implemented.

mag minnow
03-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Looks like all the party boats will leave the docks this year if implemented.

Yup...The ones that survived at least. Unfortunately, the damage has been done to many of them already.

thefishingfreak
03-05-2016, 07:51 AM
Please go to the following link and copy&paste the comments below.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=NOAA-NMFS-2016-0011-0001

John Bullard, Regional Administrator
National Marine Fisheries Service
55 Great Republic Drive
Gloucester, MA 01930

“Comments On Groundfish Recreational Fishing Measures”

Dear Mr. Bullard,

I am writing to you as a recreational angler and support the proposed recreational measures on Gulf of Maine haddock. After last season’s limit of three haddock it was not worth spending money to head offshore on either a private vessel or on board a charter/head boat. Having a bag limit of 15 haddock at 17” year round with the exception of April 15th – April 30th will once again make the trip worth leaving the dock. The 17” minimum size limit will help reduce dead discards with fewer throwbacks by retaining the smaller fish.

I do not support the one cod allowed, minimum size 24” from August 1st through September 30th. Last season there were many reports of anglers catching small to large market size cod while targeting other species. The past several years, there has been excellent cod fishing in the southeast New England area off of Block Island and south of Long Island, NY. I am requesting a larger bag limit of cod with a longer season based on these observations.

During the last few years, tackle shops, marinas, and the other businesses which profit by recreational ground fishermen, have been severely impacted due to the zero possession of cod and very low bag limits on haddock. The charter boat and head boat industry have had the largest loss of business and financial burden due to these bag limits and closed seasons. I am asking you to please take this into consideration during your final decision, and ease restrictions which will allow recreational anglers to have the opportunity to go home with a reasonable number of cod after an offshore day of fishing.

YOUR NAME HERE
YOUR TOWN< MASSACHUSETTS
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
03-05-2016, 11:56 AM
in