stripermaineiac
03-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks Dennis. very nice

Green Light
03-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Very well done DZ!

Yudi
03-05-2016, 09:32 PM
OK, for whatever reason I cannot get to this. Can someone provide the you tube link?

Redsoxticket
03-05-2016, 09:46 PM
OK, for whatever reason I cannot get to this. Can someone provide the you tube link?

Go to YouTube search bar and type the words, surfcasting around the block.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Yudi
03-05-2016, 10:05 PM

Thanks Sox!

Yudi
03-05-2016, 10:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij4lD_iQf7Y

Dennis,

Some of us are still fishing with some old school gear. I'm one of them. I'm currently having a GSB1201L built at 9'6" (~3" off each end) as I was looking for a 9' but love the action of this rod more so than the 1081M. Picked up a 9'6" at Rivers End and knew it was the right rod for me for about 90% of my fishing.

It will be paired with a 704. I love this reel, I have many actually, but it has never failed me. I have had the reel pretty much soaked through and still it works. Maybe it because I haven't had your experiences with really large schools of large bass, but I'd like to know more about some of the problems you might have had with the 704/706 and how maybe these could be addressed.

I'm not in the market for a VS or ZB, etc. So I'm kind of stuck dealing with any of the shortcomings that are inherent to the 704.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Best,
Dave

tattoobob
03-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Most will remove the side plate and pack it full of grease and just rinse it after every outing and you should be fine

In The Surf
03-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately I can't view it on my kindle. Might be an android thing.

Yudi so as to not derail DZ's thread you might want to start another about that.
Sending you a pm about cleaning your 704z

Rob Rockcrawler
03-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Love it, great way to start the day.

DZ
03-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Dennis,

Some of us are still fishing with some old school gear. I'm one of them. I'm currently having a GSB1201L built at 9'6" (~3" off each end) as I was looking for a 9' but love the action of this rod more so than the 1081M. Picked up a 9'6" at Rivers End and knew it was the right rod for me for about 90% of my fishing.

It will be paired with a 704. I love this reel, I have many actually, but it has never failed me. I have had the reel pretty much soaked through and still it works. Maybe it because I haven't had your experiences with really large schools of large bass, but I'd like to know more about some of the problems you might have had with the 704/706 and how maybe these could be addressed.

I'm not in the market for a VS or ZB, etc. So I'm kind of stuck dealing with any of the shortcomings that are inherent to the 704.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Best,
Dave

Dave,
I still fish with the GSBs. I can't justify going to anything new at over $400. I used the 704 exclusively until the first VS came out. Other than continual maintenance the only problem we had was with the drag system. It tended to load the slip when really wet. Drove us crazy when hooked with large fish. My late buddy Zeke Silva made the adjustment to use three Teflon washers in the 704 instead of the combination of fiber and Teflon. This helped somewhat. The problem continued with the first VS 300s because they used the exact drag system as the Penns. We would just break the reel down in the field and dry the washers on the fly.
Also converted the 704 handle knob to a round one. Lots of grease on the anti reverse clicker to quiet the reel.

PaulS
03-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Dennis, I enjoyed watching that.

Dick Durand
03-06-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks, Victor. Nicely done, Dennis. I enjoyed the music and scenery, and the couple of touches of vintage DZ including the sweet water bassing and the pics of Little Sumpin'.

Gobi
03-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Very nice, Dennis! Enjoyed the pics.

Thanks,

Kieran

DZ
03-07-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone. In case you're interested the soundtrack is Lord Huron's "Lonesome Dreams" . Lyrics seemed to work well with individual slides.

"Lonesome Dreams"

I land on an island coast
Where the only souls I see are ghosts
I run through wooded isle
And chase the sunlight mile after mile

And I feel like I know this place
As a tree line breaks in a wide open space
I stare at a bright red sun
And search all day, never find anyone

I walk on a winding road
In the deep of the night near the edge of the knoll
I pass by a moonlit lake
And a cold wind blows and my bones start to shake

And I feel I should know this place
As a road winds on in a wide open space
The wind plays a haunting tune
As I make my way through the night all alone

I been dreaming again of a lonesome road
Where I'm lost and I've got no friends
Just the rocks and the trees
And my lonesome dreams
And a road that'll never end

I been dreaming again of a lonesome world
Where I'm lost and I'm on my own
Left my best in the beats on this trip, baby
Just please don't leave me alone

I lie under starlit sky
And the seasons change in the blink of an eye
I watch as the planets turn
And the old stars die and the young stars burn

But I don't really know this place
And it's lonesome here in a wide open space
Can it be as real as it seems
Maybe this time I won't wake from the dream

I been dreaming again of a lonesome road
Where I'm lost and I've got no friends
Just the rocks and the trees
And my lonesome dreams
And a road that'll never end

I been dreaming again of a lonesome world
Where I'm lost and I'm on my own
Left my best in the beats on this trip, baby
Just please don't leave me alone

MAKAI
03-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Nice pics.
Catchy beat for lonely lyrics.

Yudi
03-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Well, I can see now that I didn't see the same slide show that everyone else is looking at. For whatever reason, I can't see the attached.

When I googled for it I saw a video, one that spoke of the early days before VS reels. It was a good video, but my question was related to that video and not the slideshow.

Apologize for that, must of seemed out of left field.

JLH
03-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Great stuff Dennis! Makes me want to far back out there soon.

DZ
03-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Well, I can see now that I didn't see the same slide show that everyone else is looking at. For whatever reason, I can't see the attached.

When I googled for it I saw a video, one that spoke of the early days before VS reels. It was a good video, but my question was related to that video and not the slideshow.

Apologize for that, must of seemed out of left field.

PM me your email address and I'll try sending you the correct link.

zimmy
03-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Ugg. When did gsb's become old school. Time flies I guess. Nice show Dennis. Maybe this will be the year I get over there.

MikeD
03-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Great slide show. This time of year I can't get enough of stuff like this. Love the Lord Huron tune too. Goes really well with the show. Google The Shadow Campaign: Sun Dog, if you like Lord Huron/Skiing/Dogs.

Steve K
03-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Special place. Well done. Looking forward to being there in May and maybe even April. Always interesting to see how the beach has changed - from rocks to sand and vice versa.

JohnnySaxatilis
03-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Good work DZ! looked like a great tip. Cheers

tattoobob
03-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Ugg. When did gsb's become old school. Time flies I guess. Nice show Dennis. Maybe this will be the year I get over there.

GSB's are staples in the surf for me, I'm not a fan of going out and buying the new great thing only to find out the company won't stand behind there product when it breaks