View Full Version : sealer question -pouring lead into a plug

Diggin Jiggin
03-19-2016, 02:28 PM
I am making some maple needles and want to pour some lead into the belly holes to have it run along the thru wire. Do I seal before or after pouring the lead or after?

Kind of wondering if the heat of the molten lead would burn off the sealer but on the other hand worried if I do it after the lead may stop the sealer from getting to the wood ?

spence
03-19-2016, 02:30 PM
While I'm no expert I'd do it after. It may burn off the sealer on the surface but not what's penetrated...

Nebe
03-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Make one each way and see which one absorbs more water with a digital scale
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

eskimo
03-19-2016, 04:25 PM
If the sealer is fully dry I don't think you'll have a issue pouring the lead post sealing.

How do gauge how much lead goes in the plug if it goes down the thru holes?

pbadad
03-19-2016, 05:34 PM
I seal after the lead is pored. Once you dip the plug in sealer any voids on the side of the pored lead will seep in. One thing if your pouring with the wire in you'll get lead in the wire hole and may get in consistent weighting. I insert a 5/32 wooden skew thru the wire hole , pore then pull once cooled. It seals the thru wire hole and makes a hole for the wire. Keep in mind once cooled the weights my pop out. Hopefully the sealer will help hold the lead and the wire and clear coat will secure it in.

Slipknot
03-19-2016, 07:30 PM
I did mine after pouring but if you get the lead following the wire hole, you may find, as I did, that the plugs swim sideways, upside down or crooked. It messes up the balance on thinner needles so hopefully yours are fat.
I take it you are making sinking or fast sinking needles

Diggin Jiggin
03-20-2016, 09:23 AM
thanks guys. Looks like I will seal them first and see what happens. I may just try this on a few and see how it works.