View Full Version : Building a deck

jim sylvester
04-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Hi Guys

Short and Sweet

With the kids getting bigger we have decided to get a pool this summer.

I have done all the research i possibly could over the winter for decking materials, but am still torn

What have you used

Composite or PT?

What are your thoughts on both

thanks

Jim

spence
04-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Around an above ground pool?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

jim sylvester
04-04-2016, 03:56 PM
sorry

correct spence

on the ground pool.(half buried)

sitting on ledge....can't go in the ground

nightfighter
04-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Composite if it is in the budget. PT will dry, check, and split. Nature of the beast. Unless you want to be a slave to recoating every year. If you go with composite, you will never wish you had gone with PT instead.

I have installed most of them. Azek, Trex, Timbertec. Buy through a lumberyard, NOT through a box store or one of those discount places....

wdmso
04-04-2016, 05:15 PM
dont go crazy depending on the age of your children you might get 10 years . after that our kids never used it.. once in High school .. future proof it I went with trex just on the deck and stairs the rest PT big enough for 2 chairs and the ladder

redlite
04-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Problem ive found with plastics is they do get hot.
PT sux. Even worse is when u use the new coating paints on them. That stuff gets so hot u could fry an egg on it
There is a new hollow/ honeycomb composite material that doesnt heat up like traditional azak. Because its hollow it transfers heat but is supposed to be just as strong and durable as traditional composites. I forget name but will ask someone that knows and let u know as a viable option.
Get ready to choke on cost of composite vs PT.

Sea Dangles
04-05-2016, 06:46 AM
sorry

correct spence

on the ground pool.(half buried)

sitting on ledge....can't go in the ground
My in ground was put in with a yard full of ledge....3 days with a ram ho solved that issue. Pools are awesome.

Sea Dangles
04-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Go composite
Buy once,cry once

Fly Rod
04-05-2016, 09:23 AM
composite is the only way to go....I prefer Fiberon decking, my deck is 16 years old, still looks new....non skid when it rains...easy maintenance I schwab the deck once a year in the spring with water and bleach let it dry and will look brand new....recommend pressure treated joist....my neighbor used brazilian hard decking has replaced and patched a few times....:)

If loading composite on vechicle B careful when layered on each other tie it down good or it will slide onto the road when U apply your brakes....:)

FishermanTim
04-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Don't forget the insurance impact.

Will the pool be fenced in?
Are there little kids in the area?
What kind of wildlife do you get on a regular basis?

You'd be surprised who and what will try to make their way into a pool on a hot summer day/night!

Sea Dangles
04-05-2016, 12:48 PM
I dont think you can legally have a pool without a fence. It does add up in a hurry with fencing,patio,cabana et al. I will say that my pool paid us back in smiles in just a couple years! Good move Jim

basswipe
04-06-2016, 04:08 PM
How big a deck?

PT sucks and Trex is a joke of a composite.Go with ipe if you can afford it or go with mahogany.All depends on the size of the deck and what you can afford.

spence
04-06-2016, 04:58 PM
I dont think you can legally have a pool without a fence. It does add up in a hurry with fencing,patio,cabana et al. I will say that my pool paid us back in smiles in just a couple years! Good move Jim
Varies by code but in most areas I believe you do.

trevier
04-07-2016, 05:31 AM
How big a deck?

PT sucks and Trex is a joke of a composite.Go with ipe if you can afford it or go with mahogany.All depends on the size of the deck and what you can afford.
IPE? I have to laugh at this tuff, horrible to work with, expensive, gets hot, and horrible to work with.

spence
04-07-2016, 08:47 AM
I think composite looks a lot nicer today than it did when trex first came out. I have a mahogany deck and it requires a decent amount of maintenance. Unless you were trying to match existing wood I'd use composite and not have to worry about sealing, checking, splinters etc...

buckman
04-07-2016, 08:51 AM
I think composite looks a lot nicer today than it did when trex first came out. I have a mahogany deck and it requires a decent amount of maintenance. Unless you were trying to match existing wood I'd use composite and not have to worry about sealing, checking, splinters etc...

Couldn't agree more. Go with a composite and a blind fastener system .

piemma
04-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Composite if it is in the budget. PT will dry, check, and split. Nature of the beast. Unless you want to be a slave to recoating every year. If you go with composite, you will never wish you had gone with PT instead.

I have installed most of them. Azek, Trex, Timbertec. Buy through a lumberyard, NOT through a box store or one of those discount places....

What Ross said. I re-did my big deck with Azek and never regretted it. PT will last 10 years at best and you will start with cracks after 4 or 5. You can use the treatments that fills in the cracks but it doesn't last. I have another smaller deck (10 x 12) on the back of the house that is PT and 11 years old. I am going to re-deck this spring (whenever that it) with Azek.
You can either screw the new decking down or use a "blind" securing system. I drilled and screwed the first deck but will use the blind system on the next one.

The Dad Fisherman
04-08-2016, 01:45 PM
I did mine with Cedar last year....a little pricier then PT but significantly cheaper than composite. Naturally water resistant and doesn't split.

I get a lot of sun on my deck so I can walk barefoot on the cedar where the composite gets extremely hot

nightfighter
04-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Jim, I did a nice big deck last year with the 5/4x6 STK white cedar. STK is Select Tight Knots. Nice alternative if you like wood. As always, attention to framing detail will set up a great finish.