View Full Version : looking for a new lathe- recommendations welcome

nicksdad
04-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Hi Guys-
I never post but first I want to say "THANK YOU" to all the builders on here that have freely provided so much great information over the years that has allowed me to become a pretty decent plug builder. It quickly became addicting and I'm still learning after 7 years. I turn strictly for my own use as gifts for friends. With that, I would like to trade-in my old Craftsman lathe or a smaller midi style such as a Jet or Delta etc. I would welcome any and all opinions as to models that are out there to be used primarily for plugs. Thanks in advance-Steve

BigFish
04-07-2016, 09:30 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either brand! I have a Delta midi and have zero complaints....very good machine with never an issue! Jet makes very good tools as well....I have a standup bandsaw and a bench top drill press made by Jet.......I would not hesitate buying a Jet lathe!

stripermaineiac
04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Get the Jet with the variable speed. You'll love it.

nicksdad
04-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys.

afterhours
04-09-2016, 10:31 AM
lots of good stuff out there, I like the jet stuff for good middle of the road $$.

ThrowingTimber
04-10-2016, 07:34 AM
Jet lathe here and its been great.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter
04-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Jet 1014 with Vega duplicator. Got the lathe off Craigslist, picked up with tools in NH for $225. Got the dupe off classifieds here for $100. Both were extremely good prices and both were in very good shape. Carbide cutter from ProfessorM and collars for the duplicator from Grainger. This is a proven set up for plugs on almost any scale. Be patient and keep looking if you want to go the used route.

nicksdad
04-13-2016, 10:10 AM
That's exactly what I'm doing. Thanks for the advice.-Steve