View Full Version : Looking for Power Handle

Ian
04-25-2016, 09:14 PM
I bought a Quantum Smoke Inshore this winter and like the reel but find the knob to be laughably inadequate... Looking to upgrade.

Any ideas? Anyone have something that might bolt onto the handle arm?

ecduzitgood
04-25-2016, 09:33 PM
You should be able to turn the handle with just the tip of your index finger and thumb tip. The rod and the reel foot are were the pressure is and it really shouldn't be on the handle if using proper technique. Think of how people land huge fish with ultralight equipment...it is the technique. Use the rod to pull the fish towards you and reel when bringing the rod down, try not using the reel handle to pull the fish in.
Try lifting the rod without even having your hand on the handle to get used to not using the handle for leverage.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ian
04-26-2016, 08:04 AM
You should be able to turn the handle with just the tip of your index finger and thumb tip. The rod and the reel foot are were the pressure is and it really shouldn't be on the handle if using proper technique. Think of how people land huge fish with ultralight equipment...it is the technique. Use the rod to pull the fish towards you and reel when bringing the rod down, try not using the reel handle to pull the fish in.
Try lifting the rod without even having your hand on the handle to get used to not using the handle for leverage.

I just want a bigger knob to hold onto. I don't like the dinky little EVA paddle the reel has.

ecduzitgood
04-26-2016, 09:37 AM
I just want a bigger knob to hold onto. I don't like the dinky little EVA paddle the reel has.
Sorry about my confusion I should have read it better. Being a former mate I had folks break the handle and thought that's what you were trying avoid. Maybe something like the Penn 704 pancake style knob would work. Maybe bring the reel to a shop that carries quantum reels like the Cabo see if it would be compatible. Hopefully someone with the same reel will reply.
Just found these
http://www.jiggingworld.com/reel-handles-and-knobs/?sort=priceasc
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Knob-PENN-Spinning-Reels/dp/B008370J4YPosted from my iPhone/Mobile device