View Full Version : Have-a-heart traps?

basswipe
04-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Have a woodchuck living under the shed.

Anyone use one of these traps?Would rather trap it and bring it somewhere but if that doesn't work its gonna get itself shot.I'm not going to deal with that thing having a feast in my gardens.

Does anyone here have a trap they're not using?

vineyardblues
04-30-2016, 10:20 AM
They are out , and so is my trap already... Shoot the bastage... I would but not no gun ...lol. BTW you can not catch and move them in Ma... Shoot or drown them only. Maybe a pie ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
04-30-2016, 10:39 AM
I might actually have one under the deck, let me check...

Like VB said it may be illegal to move them but if it's creating a nuisance I'd think animal control would help.

spence
04-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Yep I have one.

Slipknot
04-30-2016, 12:26 PM
get some organic mixture of some kind of reppelant made with animal urine either fox or something. They hate it, it kept them out of our yard and garden. Walmart has it.

spence
04-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Actually on the big blue bug show this morning Tony suggested dirty cat littler works great.

Raven
04-30-2016, 06:34 PM
swimmer is the king of woodchuck trapping

piemma
05-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Na, the best woodchuck trap I ever had was a little mongrel dog named Jake. He systematically kill Mom, Dad and 5 kids. He'd bring em back dead and line em up on the front lawn. He was awesome!

niko
05-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Na, the best woodchuck trap I ever had was a little mongrel dog named Jake. He systematically kill Mom, Dad and 5 kids. He'd bring em back dead and line em up on the front lawn. He was awesome!

Lol. My Akita, niko, was a varmint killing machine

Sea Dangles
05-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Lol. My Akita, niko, was a varmint killing machine

What about your new pup/firstmate?

basswipe
05-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Yep I have one.

Sent you a PM.

basswipe
05-02-2016, 04:30 PM

If my Dachshund wasn't 16+ I wouldn't even have started this thread.My Simon was awesome in his day,he would've been under that shed in a heartbeat dragging that bastage out!Best dog ever...really going to miss him when his day comes.

Swimmer
05-02-2016, 06:30 PM
I have two sizes of the have a hearts. A recent emigre to the shed underworld has so far refused all offerings of foods inside the big trap.. Caught two squirrels, which isn't all bad, but the chuck has yet to eat any of the apples or fresh lettuce. Going to put peanut butter on the next apple and see what happens.

Swimmer
05-02-2016, 06:31 PM
swimmer is the king of woodchuck trapping

Having an unresolved issue now brother. May be losing touch.

vineyardblues
05-03-2016, 07:26 AM
We watched rabbits running around our traps last night. Big Rabbits
Lol

Nebe
05-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Drive around your neighborhood and collect several Hillary signs and post them around your garden. That should scare away anything and anyone.

PRBuzz
05-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Drive around your neighborhood and collect several Hillary signs and post them around your garden. That should scare away anything and anyone.

PETA would get you for cruel & inhumane treatment!!!

Rockfish9
05-03-2016, 08:27 AM
I have two sizes of the have a hearts. A recent emigre to the shed underworld has so far refused all offerings of foods inside the big trap.. Caught two squirrels, which isn't all bad, but the chuck has yet to eat any of the apples or fresh lettuce. Going to put peanut butter on the next apple and see what happens.

Bait is relatively ineffective on yard pigs ( wood chucks) best bet is "blind" or trail sets....pad the wire with grass and settle it into the ground so it doesn't rock... they don't like the feel of the wire or anything suspicious that moves... use a series of grasses and small twigs to make a subtle trail to guide them into the trap..if you feel you must bait them.... buy a small Zuccinin plant and put it in the trap ( beyond the trip pan with he rear door closed) still make an effort to break up the outline of the trap..by using the live plant you'll eliminate all other critters except the ocassional bunny... come execution time.. put the trap in a plastic bag and tape it to the tail pipe..hell go night night.

Mugz
05-03-2016, 09:31 AM
I had a tough time figuring out what bait to use as well....tried LOTS of veggies. The thing laughed at me....and taunted my wife by sitting on the top step of the deck!! I did some research and heard fresh brocolli. Told my wife to get some fresh brocolli at the Grocery....she came home with 3 heads of the stuff!! But, it did the trick the first day.....caught him at dusk. Then, I caught his sister a few days later.
Needless to say, I ate a lot of brocolli that week myself....

ecduzitgood
05-03-2016, 11:22 AM
I wonder if putting dry ice in the hole would eliminate the problem.

basswipe
05-06-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm going with what the damn thing likes...tomatoes.

Otherwise it will be at the business end my RWS .22cal. air-rifle.Or maybe the Beeman if I want to hit in the eyeball.

Raven
05-07-2016, 05:51 AM
to get gophers out west
that could actually duck a 22 LR
i had to aim at the popped up head
then lower it and aim for the dirt in front
and skip it in there- that worked well

basswipe
05-15-2016, 05:21 AM
Got a racoon in the trap this morning.Getting it out of the trap was certainly easier said than done.

vineyardblues
05-15-2016, 08:18 PM
First woodchuck of the year !

seen him a few times before , I have a very lucky trap or just dumb woodchucks.

basswipe
05-16-2016, 03:19 PM
First woodchuck of the year !

seen him a few times before , I have a very lucky trap or just dumb woodchucks.

Apparently I need a lucky trap or a stupid woodchuck.

As each day passes it looking more and more like death for this thing...I'm done with the trap.

vineyardblues
05-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Another one today,,, I am guessing a guy it had nasty flys all around it and stunk like chit....
Trap is two inches away from the gate in the right corner of my back yard...
They must just follow the path from the woods and just go under the gate and Bang.

Rockfish9
05-19-2016, 06:11 AM
Another one today,,, I am guessing a guy it had nasty flys all around it and stunk like chit....
Trap is two inches away from the gate in the right corner of my back yard...
They must just follow the path from the woods and just go under the gate and Bang.

Classic "blind" set.. best friend of ADC and fur trappers alike....

Clogston29
05-19-2016, 02:32 PM
I wish my dog would kill mine. It only gets the babies. And it won't go in the trap. Fortunately it won't cross the yard from where it lives to the garden because of the dog. My cousin shoots them with a bow and eats them. They're not bad if cooked slow, like a pot roast.

ThrowingTimber
05-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Rws Diana +1 woodchuck 0

basswipe
05-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Rws Diana +1 woodchuck 0

I've waited countless hours for that thing to poke its head out,have yet to see it while I have a gun in my hands.

I don't like keeping any of my pellet guns cocked for to long,its bad for the spring and the piston seal.

vineyardblues
05-22-2016, 11:13 AM
A not so happy skunk today. Son of a b got me as well.

spence
05-22-2016, 11:41 AM
1 qt peroxide - 1/4 cup baking soda - 1 tbsp liquid dish soap...works great.

basswipe
05-22-2016, 02:24 PM
A not so happy skunk today. Son of a b got me as well.

That's what scares me about the trap.The racoon I trapped was by no means in a quality mood but at the same time it couldn't spray me.

basswipe
05-22-2016, 02:25 PM
1 qt peroxide - 1/4 cup baking soda - 1 tbsp liquid dish soap...works great.

The soap has to be Dawn.

FishermanTim
05-23-2016, 03:44 PM

Bananas...They LOVE bananas!!!!!

I know because we have a family that nests under our shed.
Since they don't bother with our garden beds, we let them live in moderate peace. Mind you, I'm not going to prevent anyone else from doing what they do unless it's just plain animal cruelty. You know, that "really sadistic" stuff like shooting with bow and arrow, burning alive ...that crazy crap.
I figure there's enough stuff that will kill them already around, so why should I add to it.

basswipe
05-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Bananas...They LOVE bananas!!!!!

I know because we have a family that nests under our shed.
Since they don't bother with our garden beds, we let them live in moderate peace. Mind you, I'm not going to prevent anyone else from doing what they do unless it's just plain animal cruelty. You know, that "really sadistic" stuff like shooting with bow and arrow, burning alive ...that crazy crap.
I figure there's enough stuff that will kill them already around, so why should I add to it.

Seriously,bananas?That would've never had occurred to me.

Thing raped my tomato garden last year so you'd think tomato would work...nope.Apples were next for the durability factor...nope.

If banana doesn't do the trick its time for it to be dispatched the old fashioned way.

Dick Durand
05-23-2016, 04:39 PM
I've had success using apples, although they certainly enjoyed my kale, parsley, and cucumbers.

Nebe
05-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Take the trap and run it through your dishwasher or do something to get every funky smell off of it. I guarantee that will help lure one into it.

Nebe
05-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Also, use some netting to make a "funnel" to draw the thing right into the trap. Think of how fish traps are designed.

Use yer noggin ;)

ThrowingTimber
05-24-2016, 07:03 AM
No reason to keep the pellet rifle cocked. Its not like it takes minutes to load and cock a pellet rifle.

Make sure youre sighted in for the distance youre shooting. Spot just between eye and the ear. They go DRT (dead right there) Heaviest pellet you can push accurately. If youre a #^&#^&#^&#^& shooter. Just trap it instead.

Fly Rod
05-24-2016, 08:25 AM
do not just throw them away.....makes for a nice stew dinner....:)

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/sw8la527/gopher-stew.html

basswipe
05-24-2016, 01:46 PM
No reason to keep the pellet rifle cocked. Its not like it takes minutes to load and cock a pellet rifle.

Make sure youre sighted in for the distance youre shooting. Spot just between eye and the ear. They go DRT (dead right there) Heaviest pellet you can push accurately. If youre a #^&#^&#^&#^& shooter. Just trap it instead.

It takes long enough to cock and load any pellet rifle when it comes to killing critters like groundhogs.I load the rifle and leave the breach open so that all I have to do is cock,aim and fire,still have yet to have enough time to make a kill.Heaviest pellet is actually a liability...flat shooting and accuracy is your best bet with a pellet and this is where the .20 shines above all other calibers.

Btw I taught advanced marksmanship in the military and also shot airgun field-target competitively for several years...knowing how to shoot well will never be a problem for me.And if the trap worked we would not be having conversation.

basswipe
05-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Take the trap and run it through your dishwasher or do something to get every funky smell off of it. I guarantee that will help lure one into it.

Washing the trap was the very first thing I did.Also sprayed it with a scent blocker.

Nebe
05-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Washing the trap was the very first thing I did.Also sprayed it with a scent blocker.

you'll get that #^&#^&#^&#^&er. I'm rooting for you!

ThrowingTimber
05-24-2016, 03:15 PM
Well in that case all its got to do is show up! Get him!

basswipe
07-18-2016, 05:20 PM
We have another one tearing up my raspberries.Which pellet rifle to use is the only question here...gonna give my RWS 48 a shot tonight.The Beeman R1 in the morn if I choke.

Raven
07-18-2016, 07:22 PM
set up a concrete block on end with plywood in back
toss sunflower seed in top hole
they will sit in there and eat

basswipe
07-19-2016, 04:28 PM
set up a concrete block on end with plywood in back
toss sunflower seed in top hole
they will sit in there and eat

Will do this asap.Have all three materials handy.

Nebe
07-19-2016, 06:11 PM
You might as well have fun with this. A little sunflower seed like Raven said but then underneath that, pack down some black powder and use an Estes rocket igniter and a long wire to your house.

Or not and just think I am crazy and should live in Montana.

Raven
07-19-2016, 06:43 PM
i had two munks eating my strawberry's in the GH
so i went to buy the smallest hav-a-hart @ HD
by late afternoon i had caught both
we are enjoying fresh strawberries daily now