View Full Version : 2nd coat of etex.

chefchris401
05-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Did some plugs today, and something went wrong, either contaminates or a bad mix.

But they have some spots that are lower and covered but looks bumpy.

Goin to do a second coat but what's the best way???

I've read do a second coat before 24 hours, or wait til cured, light scuff, wipe down and epoxy, no sand.

Anyone do it successfully???

I know the fish don't care but I like my plugs to look professional and take pride in the finish.

Haven't it this happen in a long time. Same method as always too.

Thanks in advance

pbadad
05-09-2016, 05:45 AM
Chris my rule of thumb which has did me good is wait until dry to touch ,lightly isopropyl alcohol then coat. I look for no more than a 72 hr window for a chemical bond. After that, gray scotch pad, clean with isopropyl then recoat. Usually you use slightly less E text on the second coat. I started using 2 on the Pikes in hopes to prolong the rash. Ha ha. Nonetheless some colors really look DEEP with 2. Use do use syringes to mix, yes?

ProfessorM
05-09-2016, 11:26 AM
I don't use e tex but 72
Is good for my epoxy too. Just be careful with the pad and alcohol along corners, edges, and ends. The alcohol will take the paint off. Done that many times. Then you will be pissed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9
05-10-2016, 11:02 AM
I also go with the max of 72...... scuff with scotch bright and wipe with a new tack cloth...no alcohol..wear rubber gloves or wash your hands thououghly with Boraxo so the oils on your hands don't transfer

O.D. Mike
06-07-2016, 05:53 PM
That's happened to me in the past also Chris. I think it was that I skipped the alcohol step and there was oil transfer from my hands. Wash hands with Dawn, grey scotch bright, isopropyl alcohol with clean cloth(painting cotton rag).