View Full Version : Middle Guide Fix

Mugz
05-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Just noticed the other day that the ceramic fell out of one of the middle guides on my 10 year old St Croix. My favorite schoolie rod...
Watched a few You Tube video's on repair...I can whip up a couple V-block supports and I have spinners. I watched the "knot method."
Where can I get these supplies in a pinch? Thread, epoxy and a new eye? It's a hike to go to CMS or M&D's...does Bass Pro or #^&#^&#^&#^&s Sporting Good's carry this stuff? I'm in Attleboro. I have seen rod tips readily available but I don't remember seeing thread or middle eyes (not sure of the specific size since I have not measured it yet).

Fishpart
05-11-2016, 09:24 AM
You can do the repair on v-blocks. You can call M&D's and talk to them and they can certainly ship you what you need.

ThrowingTimber
05-13-2016, 09:29 AM
A local rodbuilder or CMS to purchase the repair items is your best bet. CMS will probably repair for what its going to cost you for your time, thread and epoxy.

Mugz
05-31-2016, 01:22 PM
I ended up fixing this myself. Doing the repair made me want to build a rod....
It was easy enough and came out great. Bought the supplies on Mud Hole since I wasn't in the rush I thought I was in.
Of course the guide I ordered wasn't the right size...went to Bass Pro and bought a whole set of guides for $13....one of them fit the bill and was the exact brand and fit. I have extra guides if another one breaks now.
I will be making a rod though....eventually. Will probably start with a cheap freshwater blank kit, get my feet wet and go from there.
Lots to read and study before then.....good winter project I think.

Guppy
05-31-2016, 04:48 PM
Mugs
If you want let me know when u start, I've got a half dozen under my belt now and probably made every mistake there is :huh::huh::huh:
Might help to send info your way... Happy wrap

Mugz
06-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Mugs
If you want let me know when u start, I've got a half dozen under my belt now and probably made every mistake there is :huh::huh::huh:
Might help to send info your way... Happy wrap

AWESOME....I will take all the advise I can get!!!

THANK YOU. I will let you know when I take the plunge!! I'm thinking Winter project......when I can get my basement shop set up. Too cold for a garage winter project.

ThrowingTimber
06-24-2016, 07:34 AM
Mike Thomas from M&D's had done a real nice step by step on building a rod. I've found it very helpful, it used to be on the mainpage. I'll pm John R to see if he's able to dig it up for us.

Mugz
07-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Excellent...THANKS