View Full Version : clear top coat peeling

rayndogg
05-15-2016, 11:13 AM
hello guy. just looking for some ideas on why the topcoat is peeling off.
i recently mad up[ a batch of popper for a friend, he sent me a pic of one of the plugs clearcoat peeling off. i use Parks topcoat two park counter top epoxy. i guess it had done it on several, but not all of them there was 14 plugs total.

thanks Rene

Slipknot
05-15-2016, 05:49 PM
sounds like an adhesion problem and could be caused by a few things

oil residue on hands got on paint so try wearing gloves
no scratch coat to give the epoxy a bite, try spray on clear coat then lightly scuff
temperature issue maybe

hard to nail down peeling issues

I have had it on plugs painted with metallic spray can paint because it was too slick

the epoxy has to have something to grip

Rockfish9
05-16-2016, 08:00 AM
hello guy. just looking for some ideas on why the topcoat is peeling off.
i recently mad up[ a batch of popper for a friend, he sent me a pic of one of the plugs clearcoat peeling off. i use Parks topcoat two park counter top epoxy. i guess it had done it on several, but not all of them there was 14 plugs total.

thanks Rene

How long did you wait until you epoxy coated... if the paint is not cured ( I give them a minimum of 48 hours) sometimes the paint continues to "gas #^&#^&#^&#^& as it cures causing adhesion problems... I ran into this when I first started using epoxy...also... don't sand the plug super smooth... I've found that by leaving them a little "rough... no smoother than 220) paint and epoxy stick much better and because the epoxy fills the rougher voids, the finish is still like glass..