View Full Version : flo's fried clams

jim sylvester
05-21-2016, 03:13 PM
what type of clam do they use???????

wdmso
05-21-2016, 03:15 PM
the ones from a number 10 can with big bellies .... as for brand who knows ??

spence
05-21-2016, 03:47 PM
I think most places use fresh steamers. I doubt Flo's uses canned unless you're just being a punk.

scottw
05-22-2016, 07:48 AM
I worked at a Newport restaurant years ago that was very proud of the fact that they were the Chowderfest Cook Off Champs, at one point I was able to watch the process in making the award winning chowder...it was a bit surprising to see that the secret ingredient was 98% giant cans of Snow's Clam Chowder and then some stuff they added to make it something other than straight Snow's Clam Chowder out of a can :doh:

PaulS
05-22-2016, 10:35 AM
I think flo's has gone downhill over the last few years.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
05-22-2016, 11:05 AM
I worked at a Newport restaurant years ago that was very proud of the fact that they were the Chowderfest Cook Off Champs, at one point I was able to watch the process in making the award winning chowder...it was a bit surprising to see that the secret ingredient was 98% giant cans of Snow's Clam Chowder and then some stuff they added to make it something other than straight Snow's Clam Chowder out of a can :doh:

Black pearl :rotfl:

Nebe
05-22-2016, 11:11 AM
I'll share a Newport secret. Just down the beach from flo's is the concession stand for easton's beach (1st beach). The food is better than flo's and you can get 2 giant lobster rolls for $14 or $15.. That's 1/2 the price of one at flo's.

basswipe
05-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Neither Flo's is doing as well as they once did.Though the bar at the Middletown place does well...two good people behind that bar.On good weekends the IP place still does pretty well too.

But to get back to the original question...both places use fresh whole belly clams.No need to be starting stupid rumors about sh!t from a can.

wdmso
05-22-2016, 03:12 PM
I am sorry they come in 1 gal pails not in a can .. no rumors here its food service 101 but you get the Idea ...there not sh#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g clams in the back room .. thats my point
http://www.pangeashellfish.com/buy-shucked-shellfish/

the Island park flo's is the only one I go to... pail or can my favorite clams

spence
05-22-2016, 03:33 PM
I am sorry they come in 1 gal pails not in a can .. no rumors here its food service 101 but you get the Idea ...there not sh#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g clams in the back room .. thats my point
Oh that wouldn't surprise me. With the local market here you can get clams shucked very fresh. It's like fresh crab meat, I can't imagine any eatery cleaning that on their own.

WESTPORTMAFIA
05-22-2016, 05:43 PM
I'll share a Newport secret. Just down the beach from flo's is the concession stand for easton's beach (1st beach). The food is better than flo's and you can get 2 giant lobster rolls for $14 or $15.. That's 1/2 the price of one at flo's.
Yup! Lobster roll deal is the best around.

bassballer
05-23-2016, 01:14 PM
When theres a big storm rolling in, Flos is our go to spot to watch the storm and throw back some beers.

basswipe
05-23-2016, 04:21 PM
http://www.pangeashellfish.com/buy-shucked-shellfish/

the Island park flo's is the only one I go to... pail or can my favorite clams

Oh jeez a true massholio...always complaining and always coming back.That and taking all the good parking along the seawall!:rotf3:

Seriously though,when folks see the word "can" they equate that to meaning not fresh.Trust me,I get no one is shvcking clams behind the counter.

Lifelong IP'er my friend.