View Full Version : Teasers

nightfighter
06-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Finally getting around to pulling out the gear and loading the boat for launch tomorrow. Will pull down rods from the rafters today and get the reels mounted. Just been too busy with work....

But as I sorted through plano boxes and surf bags I found in their November disarray, I came across the last couple of teasers that I know will produce. So often I forget about them, but if you haven't used them, try them. I use Weaser's Teasers which are made up by our own Swimmer. I will be calling you Frank once I get through sorting out what I need for boat and Cuttyhunk trip..

Rockfish9
06-03-2016, 08:30 AM
sometimes they work better than the "main" bait... my favorite is the tried and true red gill... I made a bunch a number of years back from cedar that held a hook with several hackle feathers..it looks like a mini cedar lure that you troll for tuna... I took a 58 lb bass on one @ head of the meadow beach in the fall of '86 fished ahead of a yellow Gibbs darter...that fish made me a believer.

RIROCKHOUND
06-03-2016, 08:56 AM
I second that on the redgill; Black or white, doesn't matter day or night.

cedar that held a hook with several hackle feathers..it looks like a mini cedar lure that you troll for tuna...

Interesting... got pics? :love:

Steve K
06-03-2016, 08:57 AM
I like clousers usually olive and white. Only thing that I don't like about droppers is when you think you have a huge fish only to realize that it is two much smaller fish, one on the dropper and the other on the plug.

Rob Rockcrawler
06-03-2016, 09:01 AM
I won a bunch of weezers teasers from a raffle at M&D's when we use to have flings there. Never knew they were made my Mr Swimmer. I have 1 left. Got my first Albie on one a number of years ago and still use them. I am a fan of red gills,the green and white have been killer for me but i am out of that color. I can;t seem to find the lucky color but still use white and a clear with glitter.

Rockport24
06-03-2016, 10:33 AM
my first ever surf keeper was on a red gill teaser!

Rockfish9
06-03-2016, 11:13 AM
I second that on the redgill; Black or white, doesn't matter day or night.

Interesting... got pics? :love:

I don't have any pictures ( not handy anyways) I'll try and find the time to take a few this weekend..I gave some away at plugfest a few years back..

ProfessorM
06-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Hey Joe.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
06-03-2016, 11:27 AM
One year about 70% of what I caught was on a teaser. I once asked Dave Hammock of Murat's why to use a teaser and he said "why wouldn't you want to have 2 lures in the water at the same time".

Nebe
06-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Sometimes a hooker wants a $100 bill. Sometimes she wants a $10 bill. :hihi:

Rockfish9
06-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Hey Joe.

howdy Paul...

My theory on teasers is that it's a competition thing...big fish thinks it's stealing dinner from a smaller fish...survival of the fittest..

I've used them with success ahead of live eels in the fall when fish are keyed in on shad and herring drops... ditto on the beach when the fish are keyed in on small sand eels... by letting the eel swim down to the depths I want to fish I can "nymph" fish a slow drift and let the eel do all the work...the teaser has accounted for some quality fish when the eels were pretty much being ignored....

tattoobob
06-03-2016, 06:05 PM
I like and Tie 5 white hackle feathers to a hook and the Striped Bass love them, One night at Quonnie I was catching fish on every drift with a Red Gill while everyone else there got the skunk

Swimmer
06-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Finally getting around to pulling out the gear and loading the boat for launch tomorrow. Will pull down rods from the rafters today and get the reels mounted. Just been too busy with work....

But as I sorted through plano boxes and surf bags I found in their November disarray, I came across the last couple of teasers that I know will produce. So often I forget about them, but if you haven't used them, try them. I use Weaser's Teasers which are made up by our own Swimmer. I will be calling you Frank once I get through sorting out what I need for boat and Cuttyhunk trip..

OK, still have a chitload made up.

JLH
06-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Maybe I should give them more of a shot but I just don't like the second hook on the line at around eye level anytime you are dealing with a fish on your main offering.

numbskull
06-04-2016, 11:50 AM
I quit using them years ago.

Caught plenty of fish on them but I hated the way they complicated everything. Casting suffers hugely (both because of aerodynamics and the need to use a less efficient drop), your feel for the primary plug is dampened, teaser hits are blah (the fish usually just appears on your line), unhooking fish turns into a clusterfck, they are always a tangled mess when you go to put one on, a bluefish hits one while you are fast to a good fish and costs you everything, and the days of fishing sandeel beaches seems pretty well gone to the seals. Basically you are using two sizes, the 4" redgill and the 6" redgill. The 4" ones (which I typically used in a tandem setup) attract little fish. The 6" ones catch plenty of big fish but you can do just as well using a smaller plug or needle (and downsizing your tackle if you choose to increase your fun).

I can't say I've missed them. Sauerkraut still uses them alongside me and I usually can do as well or better with a small darter or needle and lighter leader.

It is worth noting, however, that Stezko's 73# beach bass supposedly hit a black fly teaser used ahead of an eel. Which is yet one more reason why I'm not likely to ever catch a 73# bass. So it goes.