View Full Version : Bass for of Roe

big jay
06-07-2016, 02:42 PM
I had 4 bass today all about 36" that all came from the same body of fish.
When I filleted them they were all full of roe. I see one every now and again that hasn't dropped her eggs, but this seemed really out of the ordinary.
Anyone have ideas as to why this occurred?

Rockfish9
06-08-2016, 08:30 AM
I had 4 bass today all about 36" that all came from the same body of fish.
When I filleted them they were all full of roe. I see one every now and again that hasn't dropped her eggs, but this seemed really out of the ordinary.
Anyone have ideas as to why this occurred?

yes I've seen it a few times... according to a marine fisheries biologist I spoke with a few years back she told me not all spawning age females spawn each season even though they develop eggs... the eggs will eventually be absorbed into the body... they turn green as they are getting absorbed.

big jay
06-17-2016, 06:51 AM
Thank you Rockfish. I didn't realize they absorb them. On set of roe was green, the others still orange.
I see it here and there as well, was wondering if there might have been a reason a whole school (I'm just guessing from the sample) wouldn't spawn. I know enviornmental factors play a role on spawning success, maybe that had something to do here?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

oldroe
06-17-2016, 07:01 AM
Did you eat the roe. We have many Russian people here on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Had one guy get a hunk of spawn off me and he ate half on the spot and fished with the rest.

big jay
06-18-2016, 06:10 PM
Nope. It kind of freaks me out. And my customers didn't seem the type to go diving in to it either.

niko
06-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Haven't seen any roe, few years ago had a few like that. My fish have been full of 4 inch squid

thefishingfreak
06-19-2016, 04:26 AM
Hopefully they are spawning somewhere up here. Wouldn't surprise me to see them spawning north of the cape. There's lots of holdovers, all it takes is a couple to be born here and they will return to their place of birth like many other fish

big jay
06-22-2016, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Seems like every year people are catching bigger holdovers.