View Full Version : 10'6" TFo surf rod

saltyric
06-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Anyone have any time tossing plugs / pencils with this rod? Think about picking one up......all my surf rods are 1 piece. Looking for a decent rod for travelling. Thanks.

putty
06-21-2016, 12:38 PM
I have one of the 1st gen (charcoal grey/maroon wraps) 2-6 oz. It is a bit on the stiff/fast side for ideal pencil popping, but I would put it in the jack of all trades, master of none category.

Although rated 2-6, it can do a tolerable job throwing SP's & loaded redfins, and can also do a good job of throwing 3-4 oz. bucktails & jigs. In full disclosure I did snap the butt end right below the joint last fall throwing 5 oz. & a sluggo tail, so I would treat it as a 1-5 rating in my experience.

Warranty coverage is a big plus on the TFO's as well- The first generation rods did not have the best components used on them and myself and friends who had the rods experienced early rust on the guides and also popped out a couple ceramic inserts.

The 2nd generation (the electric blue color blanks) have higher quality FUJI components (reel seat & guides) and the reel seat is now 24" to center from butt (1st gen was 25.5" from center to butt)

A nice rod for the price & very comparable to the St. Croix Mojo Surf in the same rating.

saltyric
06-21-2016, 01:00 PM
I have one of the 1st gen (charcoal grey/maroon wraps) 2-6 oz. It is a bit on the stiff/fast side for ideal pencil popping, but I would put it in the jack of all trades, master of none category.

Although rated 2-6, it can do a tolerable job throwing SP's & loaded redfins, and can also do a good job of throwing 3-4 oz. bucktails & jigs. In full disclosure I did snap the butt end right below the joint last fall throwing 5 oz. & a sluggo tail, so I would treat it as a 1-5 rating in my experience.

Warranty coverage is a big plus on the TFO's as well- The first generation rods did not have the best components used on them and myself and friends who had the rods experienced early rust on the guides and also popped out a couple ceramic inserts.

The 2nd generation (the electric blue color blanks) have higher quality FUJI components (reel seat & guides) and the reel seat is now 24" to center from butt (1st gen was 25.5" from center to butt)

A nice rod for the price & very comparable to the St. Croix Mojo Surf in the same rating.

Awesome, great info. Im looking for something more packable, mostly to throw plugs in the 3 oz range, but not break the bank. I have several tfo fly rods and have been super happy with them. This seems to fit the bill. thanks again

Higgie
06-21-2016, 06:20 PM
I can second what Putty says, I also have the first generation and have experienced the rusting around the eyes. It is a little stiff but manageable for some applications but not terrible. I had mine paired with a vs250 for two seasons and caught a lot of fish on it. I can say that with bigger fish on when the rod is bent you can almost feel the reel seat flex off the blank. I didn't like the distance I got on the rod with the vs so I now have it paired with an older emblem pro 5500 and the thing throws bombs!! I also recommend wrapping the butt section to cover the exposed part of the blank from nicks. For the money and warranty not a bad choice
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

saltyric
06-22-2016, 05:53 AM
Thanks again. I picked up the 10'6" last night. Apparently the new version has better guides. The butt section is also fully wrapped. I putt a VS200 on it and went out for a bit last night. Over all I like it a lot. I think you are right, a little stiffer than I am used too, but pretty versatile. I tossed some 2oz pencils, SP minnows, Needles, and a charlie graves tin. Pretty happy over all. My "catching skills" could use some work.