View Full Version : Block Island Fall Surf Tourney

piemma
06-23-2016, 04:28 AM
I'm thinking of starting a Fall Surf Tourney on the Block. There is a new moon on Halloween so the following week would be good.

I'd like ideas on whether to have it weekend, weekdays, how many days if during the week. A simple entry fee that gets split 50/50 with the biggest fish and the SB site.

Everyone gets their own accommodations. No boat fish, strictly in the surf. DZ has a condo so I look to Dennis for more ideas. Island Manor, which is where I usually stay has small efficiencies that are clean and comfortable and cheap at about $80/nt at that time of year. If we grab 4 or 5 rooms we can probably get a better rate.

OK, IDEAS

Clammer
06-23-2016, 07:13 AM
fishing has to be wheel chair accessable :fishin:

Rob Rockcrawler
06-23-2016, 07:30 AM
I will likely be out there at that time. If so i am in. Sounds like a good time.

DZ
06-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Island Manor and Neptune House (which is where I stay) are now under the same time share umbrella company. They are perhaps some of the more reasonable accomodations. Other options are a large private home with lots of beds but that would take a lot of preplanning and solid financial commitments by participants.

piemma
06-23-2016, 09:31 AM
fishing has to be wheel chair accessable :fishin:

Mike, Dories, Gracies, "The Dump" Ballards the Mansion Beach and the State Beach are all sandy beaches. Easy access and easy walking.

Clammer
06-23-2016, 10:02 AM
DZ I have a time there also ............got it once in July when it was so hot the locals were looking for AC ><>:wid:

DZ
06-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Mike - you can always spend your time down at the Old Harbor docks squidding with all the locals. I think you'd fit in fine ;)

Clammer
06-23-2016, 10:52 AM
:spin:THAT,S FINE ,BETTER THAN BEING EITHER WITH THE ISLAND WANNA BEEES OR THE YUPPIES THAT BOUGHT IN ><><>

nightfighter
06-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Interested.... Group house or rooms is fine. Costs? Kitchen or eat out? How many vehicles needed? Ferry costs? with vehicle?
Bob Huddy and Ron McKee, you see this?

stripermaineiac
06-23-2016, 12:50 PM
As long as it's after the Derby I'm in.Im normally in Rhody a load that time of yr.

rphud
06-23-2016, 12:57 PM
The return of the infamous "Block Leg"!

Hardcore
06-23-2016, 01:22 PM
I'd be interested
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
06-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Interested.... Group house or rooms is fine. Costs? Kitchen or eat out? How many vehicles needed? Ferry costs? with vehicle?
Bob Huddy and Ron McKee, you see this?

So lets see who's really in. I'm in.

John, you want a say in this?

Ross, count on me to help organize. I'll post ferry costs, etc. in a few days.

JohnR
06-23-2016, 04:45 PM
I am in if I can get the time and the back works :ss:

stripermaineiac
06-23-2016, 06:52 PM
This has the look of something fun.

Justfishin'
06-23-2016, 07:17 PM
I'll commit to it if we aren't going to get the trip on the cutty forum rolling- Sounds like good times.

Ryan560
06-23-2016, 07:52 PM
I'd be interested in this for sure

Clammer
06-23-2016, 08:45 PM
I,ll have my kid check & see if anytime sure is available in October ><:read:

rphud
06-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Likely to be one and the same me thinks. As long as you are OK with going later than albie time.

bassballer
06-24-2016, 09:02 AM
if the date end s up working out im in on this. Im overdue or sleepless nights in the surf.

DZ
06-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Island Manor Resort: http://www.8664myvacation.com/rentResortInfoSheets.php?reg=01&regn=Northeast&prop=imr

Neptune House: http://www.8664myvacation.com/rentResortInfoSheets.php?reg=01&regn=&prop=nth

bassballer
06-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Ill convince a couple fishing partners to attend as well. We could use some young blood to mix it up a bit!!

DZ
06-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Just some observations about the state of the fall fishery on Block. I've been going there in late October/early November since 1985. For the past 6-8 seasons the late fall bite has been a crapshoot at best - and the past few years have been absolute crap unless you want to spend time filling your freezer with squid. The bite in late Sept or early to mid October hasn't been gangbusters but at least you have some resident bass and the possibility of very good FA action from shore. It may be a little more expensive to go earlier but you'll have more options. Just something to think about.

Nebe
06-24-2016, 12:12 PM
I use block island reservations for housing

DZ
06-24-2016, 12:35 PM
I use block island reservations for housing

Last time I saw Eben on Block he was living here ;)

Nebe
06-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Yes!!!!!

bart
06-24-2016, 07:35 PM
I could do mainland, but probably not the Block. Cool idea, though

piemma
06-25-2016, 01:10 AM
Just some observations about the state of the fall fishery on Block. I've been going there in late October/early November since 1985. For the past 6-8 seasons the late fall bite has been a crapshoot at best - and the past few years have been absolute crap unless you want to spend time filling your freezer with squid. The bite in late Sept or early to mid October hasn't been gangbusters but at least you have some resident bass and the possibility of very good FA action from shore. It may be a little more expensive to go earlier but you'll have more options. Just something to think about.

I think I said almost the same thing in my first post regarding the fishing. I'll stand down on the Block idea since DZ has chimed in on the state of the fishing.
As an aside, I will state that I go in Nov not so much for the possibility of killing a 50 but more for the magic of the Island at that time of year.

Please ring in with other ideas. I was just trying to:
1. Generate some new found enthusiasm.
2. Get some of the younger site members involved as a group
3. Generate some money for John.

rphud
06-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Let's keep it going. There is definitely some interest on this.

My question would be how many folks are on island the end of September versus first week of November. I assume it would be less, but likely not too many folks other than fisherman end of Sept.

Justfishin'
06-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Maybe a little earlier? (As DZ has mentioned)-
While kicking around ideas about a group trip to Block, I mentioned the latter part of September- early October to get a shot at albies/bones/blues/bass, but this does coincide with the Derby, which many people want to fish in. Trick is finding affordable accommodations.
I typically don't fish in tourneys anymore-(brings out a little snarkiness in people IMO) but I will here because of a common goal.

stripermaineiac
06-25-2016, 07:30 AM
Well whenever its scheduled still sounds like fun. Cutty was a ball,The Vineyard is a great time,Rhody in the fall is fun.The fishin has been up n down everywhere. don't mean don't fish there. sounds like a good time an maybe we'll find some fish. Maybe not but it will still be a good time. Keep it goin and if it gets big well so what. Have fun and enjoy. no place is private anymore .

DZ
06-25-2016, 08:21 AM
I'll be there the first week of November. Crowds are generally non existent. I enjoy the island for what it is, to me the fishing is always great, the catching is a bonus. I'm also not into the tourney aspect but really enjoy the camaraderie of friends getting together. If members decide on Halloween weekend into November, I'll be there to share a few casts and have a beer or two.

piemma
06-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Before we get any further down this road I want to have a conversation with the Boss man.

John, you around during the day tomorrow or Monday? PM me with a time and day and we can chat.

Clammer
06-26-2016, 08:09 AM
right now there isa time share available @ the Neptune House 10 /29 to 11/05 >>.1 ned for $500.00

stripermaineiac
06-26-2016, 05:08 PM
how many does it fit

Rockport24
06-27-2016, 04:35 PM
I really miss going on the cutty trip, the timing has been bad for me these past few years, so I would be interested in something in the fall if we can make it happen.

rphud
07-17-2016, 06:33 AM
Just to keep this going (but not hijack the thread), maybe we can start figuring out what dates are best for those interested "early" or "late". Early being late September to early October, and late being late October to early November. Please post replies if you are still considering this and if you have a preferred time or dates.

piemma
07-17-2016, 07:14 AM
Sorry I dropped the ball on this. I'm buried with "stuff" at home, with family and other things.

stripermaineiac
07-17-2016, 07:25 AM
I'm interested later as I'll be on the Vineyard till the derby ends.

rphud
07-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Kinda slow on the Cutty page as well, so I thought I would give it a bump on the "open" page and see what comes of it.

vineyardblues
07-17-2016, 09:39 AM
interested after the vineyard derby, and week days as i work on the weekends

Fiske27
07-19-2016, 05:11 PM
I would be interested in going,have never fished on the Block,would be willing for the opp.to go.

striperswiper75
08-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Any additional movement on this. There really is something wonderful about being on Block Island after memorial day. Maybe an early September trip?

piemma
08-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I am in the process of making another stupid decision. My CEO from 3 companies ago has come after me to head up National sales for a start-up software company. I will take the lead on this tourney if I turn him down. If I accept, I'm out as I will be back in the air 4 days a week.
Just have to decide if I have "one more rodeo in me".

Decision in the next 72 hours.

rphud
08-11-2016, 09:12 AM
bump

SAUERKRAUT
08-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Typically, my last striper of my Cape season is the first week of November. Sometimes as late as double digits November. Almost never as late as my birthday, the 16th. So, as a season extender, I start talking daily with my NJ shore based brother, and making a couple of road trips.

All of this is a prelude to suggest that a bitter end of season Block trip the first or second weekend November as a season extender, with some mutual shared misery and effort may have some appeal. It would be for me, and maybe also for Mr. Curmudgen Numbskull Christman as well.

rphud
08-15-2016, 07:45 AM
Right now it looks like my scheduling would be post said Derby and not Halloween weekend....right now...but there are rumblings of Nebraska...uuuugghhhhh

piemma
08-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Guys, I'm not accepting the job opportunity that I have been offered but I'll be too busy to run a trip.
We're gonna go South for the Winter so I need to button up a lot of stuff around the farm. We're leaving for South Carolina right after Thanksgiving and not back until March. With the blood clot issue Jeanne had this past March I'm getting her away from the snow and ice. We have family in Charleston so we're headed South
I might be able to join a weekend trip in early November but that's even iffy.

Nebe
08-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Guys, I'm not accepting the job opportunity that I have been offered but I'll be too busy to run a trip.
We're gonna go South for the Winter so I need to button up a lot of stuff around the farm. We're leaving for South Carolina right after Thanksgiving and not back until March. With the blood clot issue Jeanne had this past March I'm getting her away from the snow and ice. We have family in Charleston so we're headed South
I might be able to join a weekend trip in early November but that's even iffy.
Good decisions on both accounts Paul!! I hope The blood clot issue was a little anomalie and she is better now.

bassballer
08-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Good move Paul.

piemma
08-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Good decisions on both accounts Paul!! I hope The blood clot issue was a little anomalie and she is better now.

Apparently it was Eben. She's coming off the blood thinner 30 days from today. Docs can't find any reason that it happened.

piemma
08-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Good move Paul.

Thanks Jay. I'll be back in time for the launch of your new ride. ;)

JohnR
08-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Screw the Block - winter fishing at Paul's in SC ;)

GOOD MAN, Paul!

piemma
08-16-2016, 05:53 AM
Screw the Block - winter fishing at Paul's in SC ;)

GOOD MAN, Paul!

We'll have plenty of room. Rented a 4 bed, 3 bath house 1 block from the beach.

DZ
08-23-2016, 08:47 AM
OK - if some of you really want to do this someone has to be take charge. I just contacted Samantha at the Neptune House (where I stay) and she said they have plenty of units available for the week of October 29 - November 5th. Two bedroom units have a queen, 2 twins, and couch and could sleep 4-5. Small kitchen, two showers. Her words to me: Have them call me directly. Should have plenty of room that week. I'll be in the office all day Wednesday and Friday!

Samantha B. Disotell
Neptune House, Resort Manager
401-466-2100

rphud
08-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Dennis, are you guys leaving the 5th or 6th?

DZ
08-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Dennis, are you guys leaving the 5th or 6th?
Saturday the 5th.

rphud
08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
unfortunately I am out of town the weekend before until Tuesday late, unfortunately only if I don't quit my day job to fish all this fall.

rphud
09-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Derby plans seem to be blowing up due to work. If I pick a date for a long Block weekend in October will they come?

Justfishin'
09-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Give me a shout Bob

nightfighter
09-11-2016, 03:37 PM
I am out of this... and the Derby as well. Began demo for kitchen renovation at my house and we have a few framing "deficiencies" that were not in the budget... (for those that understand this stuff; cut jack rafters with exposed beams that are not tied in nor do they even reach the top plate....)

striperswiper75
09-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Maybe post up some date windows and get opinions. Then decide when to go; and get payments up front from people. I love fishing out there.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-12-2016, 07:21 AM
I may be in. Plan as of now is to be out there the first week of October. Getting a septic installed and a well around the same period so things are dicey.

JohnR
09-12-2016, 08:29 AM
I am out - summer of lousy work schedule strikes again

rphud
09-12-2016, 07:24 PM
this would be post-summer, I'm just sayin'

JohnR
09-12-2016, 10:45 PM
this would be post-summer, I'm just sayin'

I lined up with crappy work. This will be the year of crappiest work

piemma
09-13-2016, 04:12 AM
Taking wife to vascular surgeon for ultra sound on her leg today. Depending on how that goes, I may be in.

chris L
09-13-2016, 05:51 PM
I hope the test came out the best way it could .

piemma
09-14-2016, 01:09 AM
I hope the test came out the best way it could .

Thanks Chris. Yes, we're good. Blood clot has completely dissolved and she has normal flow in her leg. Still on the blood thinner for awhile but it's all good.

I'm in for the Block!!!

Headhunter
09-14-2016, 10:41 AM

DZ you are rite on the money with that info. If you want to catch some fish the first week of October would be the key depending on surf and water quality of course. No way of telling what that will be, but it is the best shot on keeping your interest up for an allnighter. I am in if it is around that time. Last week of sept would be better I think?

Hardcore
09-14-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm always down to fish. Tournament style or not. Let's get the details and start prepping for this thing.

Peter Lajoie
09-14-2016, 06:26 PM
We can always have a drinki ng contest

rphud
09-14-2016, 08:32 PM
I may be in big trouble with my wife and my boss for this, but let's commit on dates for Thursday 06OCT16 (or Friday if you prefer) through Sunday 09OCT16 (or maybe Monday morning return) and see how this goes.

Headhunter
09-15-2016, 11:56 AM
I can not commit to anything beyond oct 3'd. I will be fishing out there the end of the last week of sept thru oct 3. Just too much opportunity on the mainland the first 2 weeks of oct.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Looks like im in. Buddies just booked for the first week of October. I may have to miss aday or so but plan on being out there on the 4t at the latest. Hoping the earlier time of year will be better for the fishing. Always go out a month later, and as DZ said the last 6-8 years have been tough. 7 years ago we had a banner trip, downhill since.

Nebe
09-17-2016, 09:13 PM
The "rust tides" might push the bass out of Narragansett bay, and it could help the block have a great fall. Maybe....

Rob Rockcrawler
09-18-2016, 09:54 PM
The "rust tides" might push the bass out of Narragansett bay, and it could help the block have a great fall. Maybe....

I will take it!

BFThunter
11-07-2016, 10:12 AM
I think you guys are home now- anything exciting? Weather was half way decent I believe.

DZ
11-07-2016, 10:34 AM
I think you guys are home now- anything exciting? Weather was half way decent I believe.

Catch rate although better than recent years still lacking in consistency and size. Seal presence increases every year - saw lots of them during daylight.

piemma
11-08-2016, 06:26 AM
Catch rate although better than recent years still lacking in consistency and size. Seal presence increases every year - saw lots of them during daylight.

Sounds like what I experienced the 2 weeks I was out there before you guys.

Rob Rockcrawler
11-08-2016, 08:17 AM

How were they out at the North Rip? A few years back there was 10 of them playing in the surf 10 feet away from me. Since then i have seen them in just about every spot on the island. Two years ago i saw probably 50 of them hauled out at St Annes on a 20 degree morning.

DZ
11-08-2016, 09:42 AM
How were they out at the North Rip? A few years back there was 10 of them playing in the surf 10 feet away from me. Since then i have seen them in just about every spot on the island. Two years ago i saw probably 50 of them hauled out at St Annes on a 20 degree morning.

North Rip had them. Old Harbor area and Graces were loaded at times.