View Full Version : Bones

Goose
08-03-2003, 09:59 PM
:smokin:.....no, not that kind dummy:hee:

Any sign of 'em around the Elizabeths or V.Sound?? gotta sweet little rod that needs breakin in;)

Bigcat
08-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Spent a few hours on the Hedge Fence, and a few spots in between nothing but blue fish for me.

Clammer
08-04-2003, 08:45 AM
they are growing as we speak :D :D

Mr. Sandman
08-04-2003, 09:14 AM
a few mixed in with blues but they are not being caught in numbers yet.
I don't think anyone has caught one from the beach yet either. (I tried early one morning this past weekend and just got a few blues.

Raven
08-05-2003, 06:58 AM
but prefer the other.... than finding a corpse on the seashore.

bassmaster
08-05-2003, 07:36 AM
Goose head towards the end of the fence near west chop side
I dunno if the break in the rip is still there where it goes deep then comes back up but the "fleet" is usually at the othere end and this place puts out the funny fish. 1st week of august so them things should be trickleing in there.
I use to use rebel fast tracks and would troll about 4.1 knotts
a little slower If You use rapala J13 its a pissa lure and black and gold and chart and silver belly are tops for these things.
You are going to weed through the 3 lb blues:smash: for the bones.
as You know sun up till the tide dies then move on.
in another week or 2 these things should "come up"
and You can fight the Gunners at cape poge for these critters and round the bend on up to wesque
or head the other way and hit up the side of the island, to many names.
You may want to find a good group of Guys that are into them and By that I meen they wait and dont gun and run for them.
these things will go up and down but the patturn they do, well You know ehat I meen.
If so You need to bring a box of cheese its toss them in the water and the turns go mental diving for them,
that will keep the Bone Heads off Your arse for a while:D
I use to love chasing these things in MY Grady when I lived in falmouth and most time when the Mental things would be up,
I would toss tin out there like sweedish pimples needle eels small diamond jigs and some of them had prisem tape on them .
You want all the colors as some days it makes a huge diffence.
Im serious on that.
I would toss the tin out and let it sink till it would go very deep or bottom and then reel in.
Most the Time Your line would go tight on the drop and You will double if not triple You hook up ratio on them things.
those fish Make Me mental

Gloucester2
08-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Try standing on the stone jetty at WHOI everyday for weeks watching the bones break about 10 to 15 casts too far away . . . then one day they pop up right in front of you and won't bite anything in the bag . . . then the fleet decsends on the pod and puts them down. THAT'S MENTAL fishing :smash:

luker
08-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Dave knows...

la-goon and the gurls

bassmaster
08-05-2003, 10:38 AM
luker we got to hook up and do it.
Ya I know the stone wall in the hole and the 30 min window and the crowding out by boats:smash: :af: :smash:

luker
08-05-2003, 11:57 AM
..Dave, I still gots the care package you sent.....w end fence dippity do-dah!!!

speakin about bones, how'da sawbones do on ya...

girls say hi!

la-gone

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Honestly, is anywone catching lots of Bonito yet? You don't have to tell me where...just a snapshot of a dozen fish would be nice....

luker
08-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Mr. Sand,

I have it on good authority that it is "not yet.." for the most part..that doesn't mean that you couldn't be the guy to break it open!!

bassmaster
08-05-2003, 01:38 PM
luker time to put the care package to use.
there there

luker
08-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Daveman...

rentin the digs now for college $......1st weekend free is 24th 25th..we will find em then...

bassmaster
08-05-2003, 02:29 PM
well when we getting together. U can meet Me with out U home.
P.S. I want to hit up the fishnet:smash:

macojoe
08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
I have never caught a bonito yet!! But I would like to try some time

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2003, 03:37 PM
They can drive you out of your mind at times. IMO the key trick to bonito (and ablie) fishing is being prepared. Really prepared. If you have to switch lures they could be gone. Also, go light as possible and tie direct...it really matters with these fish. You will loose more but at least you will connect. I can't tell you how many times I cut off my leader and tied direct after not getting a touch while casting into a frenzy feeding session only to get a hit on the first cast without a leader. This has happened more then one time. My general casting leaders use tiny spro swivels with tiny berkley snaps with 25# floro....even they are seen. I suggest 12# mono *tied* to 15# floro tied to the plug (lighter if you dare)...retrieve very briskly...have extra lures if blues are around.

The other option is fly rod...(with lots of backing)

Goose
08-05-2003, 04:47 PM
I getting horny just thinking bout it......thanks mugs:btu:

jettyjockey18
08-05-2003, 07:14 PM
i haven't caught my first bone yet but i cast at about 100 last year at a certain south cape "hole" ( ;) )...mental fishing...

i bring 2 rods rigged with different lures...one is an 8-ft med action ugly stik with a daiwa regal 4000 and about 250 yards of 12lb test mono with a 3-ft long 10 lb test fluro leader...if i hook up on this rod it should be no problem...

the other rod i bring is a 6-ft ugly stick lite with a shimano reel that only holds about 110 yards of 8-lb test mono...

which rod do you think i'll hook up with first?...:rolleyes: :p

BasicPatrick
08-06-2003, 12:11 AM
AHHHH I love bones

I used to love another kind but ruined my life. So I joined Narcotics Anonymous and got a new and inmproved life. Now I am once again addicted to fishing.

tunis Tunis, the Atlantic bonito....the center of my addiction.....My Favorite Fish to Catch...other than S-B of course

GBOUTDOORS
08-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Is this what you are looking for??? Hate to tell you this but took this customer out first time and he hits them big time all day. This was last year though.

Mr. Sandman
08-06-2003, 07:30 AM
I never cared for that nickname "bones"... confused with bonefishing. bonito

They are fun esp on light tackle...but sb are the supreme species in my book hands down.

BasicPatrick
08-06-2003, 09:06 PM
No question there Sandman...SB are the top of the all time target list...but bones are my favorite.....

Anybody know if any are on the Bonito Bar...I should be shot for uttering those words here:smash: :D