View Full Version : Gypsy Moth Caterpillars

Got Stripers
06-27-2016, 03:44 PM
The forests around my area in Plymouth look like they would in November, they have desimated this area. There will be a lot of dead trees when this year is done, I can't see how they will survive without a leaf left on them.

piemma
06-27-2016, 04:19 PM
In spite of what Spence and his arborist said, here's the scoop:

Rhode Island has been hit hard by large caterpillar concentrations this year, especially in South and Kent Counties. In North Kingstown and South Kingstown, on a ride to the beach, the sides of Route 1 look as if the trees have just begun to bud. Residents across the state have watched their yards become skeletal and endured the rain of caterpillar poop falling from above for weeks.

The good news? The worst is likely over. The state Department of Environmental Management has been monitoring the caterpillar infestation and said in early June that many trees that have been defoliated should start to re-foliate by the end of July "with the proper care."

Cool Beans
06-27-2016, 04:21 PM
I am starting to see a few patches of new leaf growth on some of my oak trees. They were down to zero leaves, but in the past 2 days I am seeing spots of green way up there. Hopefully they pull through this. pretty concerned they may not make it....

redlite
06-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Rhode Island has been hit hard by large caterpillar concentrations this year, especially in South and Kent Counties. In North Kingstown and South Kingstown, on a ride to the beach, the sides of Route 1 look as if the trees have just begun to bud. Residents across the state have watched their yards become skeletal and endured the rain of caterpillar poop falling from above for weeks.

The good news? The worst is likely over. The state Department of Environmental Management has been monitoring the caterpillar infestation and said in early June that many trees that have been defoliated should start to re-foliate by the end of July "with the proper care."
And so what happens when/ if they all re-bloom???? Wont they just get chewed bare again?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
06-27-2016, 05:26 PM
I think we're talking different kinds of damage.

nightfighter
06-27-2016, 06:00 PM
I think we're talking different kinds of damage.

How so???? May I use your statements from the other thread;

I don't think they will, once the leaves are set it's done.

Japanese beetles do a number on my cherry every other year. Only thing you can really do is spray.

Not what the arborist said but could also be dependent on species.

Yea, what would an expert arborist know about specific pests and species of trees???:rtfm:

For what it's worth, I can always respect a man who is willing to accept when he is wrong. Or say they are sorry. I know. I have a brother who can do neither.....

nightfighter
06-27-2016, 06:03 PM
And so what happens when/ if they all re-bloom???? Wont they just get chewed bare again?

No Not this year. The pupae or caterpillar stage is over for these beasts.

spence
06-27-2016, 06:10 PM
For what it's worth, I can always respect a man who is willing to accept when he is wrong. Or say they are sorry. I know. I have a brother who can do neither.....
God you're on edge. Do you need help? Are you ok?

nightfighter
06-27-2016, 06:41 PM
I am good. Thanks for asking.

That is a direct answer to your question. I pose a question to you, all I get is a deflection. Hell, I will withdraw the last commentary in the post.... So how about a direct answer to how this thread is a different type of damage????? I cant follow where you could be possibly going with that, even after reading both threads again.....

Liv2Fish
06-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Drive rt 3 from exit 2 to 5. See all the dead trees with no bark? Those are from the same thing s couple of years back. Trees don't seem to survive a TOTAL defoliation. I lost a large oak same way. Fire wood.

ProfessorM
06-27-2016, 07:37 PM
A year here and there they can survive. Consecutive years, 3 maybe, and dry conditions can and will kill them

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-27-2016, 10:46 PM
Complete defoliation for 3 plus consecutive years on old trees because of them. Complete to the point where they turn to my pines and make them bare. Keep in mind there are other fungus and insect problems and so on that can play in to the tree dying. Most go un noticed or put off. But the #^&#^&#^&#^&pillers eating the leaves bare isn't alone gonna kill a big tree.

Rockfish9
06-28-2016, 06:10 AM
Recovery will be harder this year due to the drought conditions...

My area hasn't seen any damage...but 10 miles north of me looks like a war zone.... I remember the damage back in the 80's I lost several fruit trees...

Sea Dangles
06-28-2016, 06:57 AM
God you're on edge. Do you need help? Are you ok?

Jeff,why not answer the question or at least admit you were mistaken? I hope you are a Hillary supporter because you each know how to dodge the truth. I guess your best defense is a good offense.

Nebe
06-28-2016, 07:17 AM
Spence, have the gypsey moths eaten that giant French flag that you have flying high and proud ? :hihi:

spence
06-28-2016, 08:21 AM
I am good. Thanks for asking.

That is a direct answer to your question. I pose a question to you, all I get is a deflection. Hell, I will withdraw the last commentary in the post.... So how about a direct answer to how this thread is a different type of damage????? I cant follow where you could be possibly going with that, even after reading both threads again.....

Simple, partial defoliation versus total defoliation. Has a huge impact on re-foliation. It's worm poop, relax.

Sea Dangles
06-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Nice try but still the wrong answer. You have my pity.

spence
06-28-2016, 08:58 AM
Nice try but still the wrong answer. You have my pity.

The answer is correct, the question is wrong.

Sea Dangles
06-28-2016, 09:04 AM
Misinformed?

spence
06-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Regardless my cherry still has a lot of holes in the foliage and they ain't growing back...never have.

Sea Dangles
06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
There is no need to,it has not been stripped of foliage.

spence
06-28-2016, 04:46 PM
There is no need to,it has not been stripped of foliage.
Pretty well damaged, like I said, regrowth is dependent on damage. My damage is different.

Cool Beans
06-28-2016, 05:12 PM
My damage is different.

That is an understatement

Nebe
06-28-2016, 05:31 PM
That is an understatement

:rotfl:

stripermaineiac
06-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Is there anything that doesn.t turn into an arguement anymore. So much for helpfull info.

spence
06-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Is there anything that doesn.t turn into an arguement anymore. So much for helpfull info.
Talk to Dingles, he started it.

MakoMike
06-29-2016, 09:53 AM
It happened to us several year in a row back in the 70s. July looked like Feb. I recall them saying at the time that the trees could withstand it for one year, but we wound up having it 3 years in a row, until there were enough wasps to do the job. Lots of trees died. You can spray to kill the caterpillars.

piemma
06-29-2016, 10:05 AM
It happened to us several year in a row back in the 70s. July looked like Feb. I recall them saying at the time that the trees could withstand it for one year, but we wound up having it 3 years in a row, until there were enough wasps to do the job. Lots of trees died. You can spray to kill the caterpillars.

Yes Mike, you can indeed spray to kill them. The problem is the only pesticide that kills Gypsy Moths also kills Honey Bees and Lady Bugs.

Cool Beans
06-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Update on my oak trees, they were completely stripped of leaves, but today I am seeing widespread regrowth on almost all of my trees. I think if they are completely defoliated, they will regrow leaves if they have a certain percentage left, they will try to survive with what little is left, without the regrowth

stripermaineiac
06-29-2016, 03:17 PM
What's the best preventative for the damn things

Cool Beans
06-29-2016, 04:20 PM
What's the best preventative for the damn things

One of my neighbors used a power washer and some "microbial soap" that he got from Home Depot, he says the power washer will only spray up about 30 feet, but due to the damn caterpillars climbing up and down so much, it still works good.

All of his trees were left mostly untouched. he's maybe 1/4 mile from my place. He also sprayed this on his house and says it kept them from making all the cocoons that I have on my house.

ProfessorM
06-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Professional high pressure spraying. Several hundred dollars for big trees and good size yard last time I did it in the early 90's. I use Sevin on my blueberries and fruit trees and what ever else I want to save that is low but can't reach big trees.

ProfessorM
06-29-2016, 07:50 PM
I have also heard 55 gallon drum of Dawn dishwashing soap and water mixture and a power sprayer but have never tried it.

stripermaineiac
06-30-2016, 10:31 AM
I have a place I'm gonna need to do something next season. 3 hrs of cleanin moth worm poop off the place an dozens of trees with just a few leaves left. Has anyone tried the tape around the tree thing. So the caterpillars cant climb the trees.

Sea Dangles
06-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Spores

pbadad
06-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Ron about 32 yrs ago we had a very bad outbreak . I moved to a new house surrounded by oak trees and the previous taped the trunks. It seemed to work for those crawling up from ground but wasn't sure if some were getting to the leaves via branches of others. Ugly site with hundreds of worms stuck in the tape.

stripermaineiac
07-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Thanks. gonna look into when to do the tapeing

ProfessorM
07-03-2016, 07:21 PM
They are moths now flying around by the millions in the days to come. Here is an interesting read

http://news.wgbh.org/2016/07/02/local-news/heres-why-caterpillars-are-eating-all-your-trees-leaves

Cool Beans
07-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Here's a picture of one of my trees that was completely empty and now, it seems like it will be fine. the couple behind it are still bare and dead looking though. And YES I have about 4 million damn moths flying all over the place now. During the day they like to cling to the side of the house.

ProfessorM
07-03-2016, 09:19 PM
They will be depositing light brown egg clusters all over the place especially on
the undersides of the tree branches. At least they are done crapping.

Dick Durand
07-04-2016, 06:04 AM
Just read that next year's damage may be more severe. Because this season has been too dry "to spark a fungus that has proven in past years to be a successful gypsy moth predator". Two successive years of defoliation can kill oak trees.

Sea Dangles
07-04-2016, 07:45 AM
They are moths now flying around by the millions in the days to come. Here is an interesting read

http://news.wgbh.org/2016/07/02/local-news/heres-why-caterpillars-are-eating-all-your-trees-leaves

Obviously not the expert Spence consulted.

piemma
07-04-2016, 09:17 AM
The defoliated trees are already getting new leaves.

Steve K
07-04-2016, 08:25 PM
My parents live in central MA and the moths are everywhere. They are swarming. Put your wool garments in a safe place.

nightfighter
10-20-2016, 07:35 AM
With leaves coming down now its interesting to see how many and how much of the leaves were eaten.....