View Full Version : Lost my virginity (at Race Point)...

fish raptor
07-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Last year was the first year with the new 21' Mako at the Cape so we stayed close, not going out past 8 or so miles for safetys sake. We fished both Cape Cod bay and the sound, never hit Buzzards bay. Last week, Sunday 26th I was at the Sesuit launch, the waters were calm, forecast good and the gas tank was full. The gentlemen that was launching next to me advised things were "good" at Race point so I bit the bullet and one hour later I was trolling at that site. It was absolutely beautiful, waters were calm, nice lighthouse to view and a nice handfull of boats telling me that I was in the right spot. The day before I was at "The Path" just north of Billingsgate and landed 3 Stripers (keeping the 34") and 1 nice Blue so I was excited about fishing the famous "Race Point". I knew the fish might be bigger so I put on a big trolling GRS and one hour later landed a 37"er. Both the 34" and the 37" were caught on GRS lures which I happen to like so I just placed a order with Gary for a few more for the shelf. I would like to head back there this coming weekend but not sure if the bite will still be on plus the waters have to be reasonably calm as it can be a pretty long haul in rough water. If anyone cares to join me (with or without a boat) you are more than welcome.

ecduzitgood
07-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Nice
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

wdmso
07-03-2016, 04:32 PM
very nice

Guppy
07-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Be careful with that wind tomorrow

Clammer
07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
again ??????? ya gotta be kidding .was thinking of going real early to check a ledge for sea bass / either way no pit stops .in way before the IQ captains start there antics :af:

fish raptor
07-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Reading some of WDMSO's other posts and seeing pics of 40+ inchers.....is kinda takin the wind out of my sails. Just have to head back and put bigger trolling plugs on and live line large pogies. I'll get there......

ecduzitgood
07-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Reading some of WDMSO's other posts and seeing pics of 40+ inchers.....is kinda takin the wind out of my sails. Just have to head back and put bigger trolling plugs on and live line large pogies. I'll get there......
Don't get frustrated, if others around you are catching and your not it is time to observe what they are doing different and make changes if necessary. If everything is the same has in live bait fishing then it comes down to the right spot at the right time. Could be depth, structure or current/speed differences you haven't noticed or found....yet. Good luck and stay safe.

Moses
07-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Congrats. Race Pt, PHB and around the backside are all great places to fish and the scenery is beautiful.

fish raptor
07-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Don't get frustrated, if others around you are catching and your not it is time to observe what they are doing different and make changes if necessary. If everything is the same has in live bait fishing then it comes down to the right spot at the right time. Could be depth, structure or current/speed differences you haven't noticed or found....yet. Good luck and stay safe.

fish raptor
07-05-2016, 10:04 AM
It's not that I'm not catching fish....it's just that I'm looking to land my first 40 + inchers and not quite sure of best way to accomplish that...live lining large macks or pogies or trolling big plugs probably deep. I can sebiki macks but never caught pogies...don't have a net as I believe that is the preferred way. Heading back to race point this sat and/or sunday depending on weather.

Moses
07-05-2016, 12:24 PM
It's not that I'm not catching fish....it's just that I'm looking to land my first 40 + inchers and not quite sure of best way to accomplish that...live lining large macks or pogies or trolling big plugs probably deep. I can sebiki macks but never caught pogies...don't have a net as I believe that is the preferred way. Heading back to race point this sat and/or sunday depending on weather.

I was out yesterday and as long as you had bait (live or dead macks/herring), you were guaranteed a strike. Pretty amazing that the bite lasted through both tides, morning & afternoon. I kept one of the smaller ones for the table, all others released back healthy.

fish raptor
07-05-2016, 08:05 PM
That's what we like to see....

P.S. I thought fishing with Herring in Mass was taboo ???? I had a bunch left over from fishing on the Hudson but was advised to get rid as it was not kosher.....

Guppy
07-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Sea herring are not the same as river herring which are taboo