View Full Version : Odd

5/0
07-04-2016, 11:43 PM
Is it just me but there is no bug chatter in my back yard this whole spring /summer anybody else experienceing this too?
Kinda freaky.

HookLine&Sinker
07-04-2016, 11:47 PM
You shouldn't have said anything.....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Duke41
07-05-2016, 07:19 AM
hawk

Cool Beans
07-05-2016, 07:25 AM
I bet there's no food left for normal bugs, after the caterpillars ate it all. I bet once the leaves are back in a few weeks the "normal" bug chatter will be back loud and clear

Poncho
07-05-2016, 10:21 AM
With the rise of diseases carried by mosquitos and tics many people have been hiring out companies to fog there property with insecticides to control the pests. Only problem with that is they end up killing every other insect that comes in contact with the chemical. A good friend of mine started a side business spray for mosquitos and tics and he is so busy he can't keep up with the demand

Poncho
07-05-2016, 10:22 AM
I should say I have no data to back up my last statement but it could have somthing to do with it if your neighbor had his yard sprayed

5/0
07-05-2016, 10:33 AM
My neighbors on either side of me don't have their yards done but one across the street does.
It's really weird there's an acre and a half of woods behind my house I've just never had it this silent before.

Slipknot
07-05-2016, 10:36 AM
lack of rain may have an effect Bob
tree frogs need moisture and I think crickets like it too
It has been very dry until today

ProfessorM
07-05-2016, 11:26 AM
They are all here in Lakeville. I'll tell them to head over.

FishermanTim
07-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Lack of rain.

Without sufficient moisture the symphony of bugs and bug-eaters gets put on hold until we get a good soaking. Not one shower, but a few days of clouds and showers.

The forecast is calling for possible showers and t-storms for most of the week leading into the weekend. Not a guarantee of constant rain, but enough to lessen the drought we've been having for a little while.

Many of the ponds and lakes are suffering from low water levels, and because we had a mild winter and warm spring the aquatic weeds have really taken over in some places.

Of course we could have it as bad as Florida with an explosive toxic algae bloom, but then again we do have algae blooms here AND red tide to boot!

ProfessorM
07-06-2016, 07:45 PM
No George this is not a post about you

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Yup. Rain! Same for the wood frogs. I was thinking today on the ride home that on the next good rain I'll take the kids wood frog hunting. They come out in force during/after a good rain which we really haven't had. Everything is too dry for our frog friends to be hot and bothered lately.

onsetangler
07-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Gnats suck in Onset right now since the humidity came in!