View Full Version : Wind/waves race point area

Poncho
07-06-2016, 07:16 AM
So I am heading down to welfleet this Saturday to Saturday for my annual vacation and have decided to bring down my boat this year (parker 1801) what wind directions are ideal out there? What wind directions are bad? Also what wave height would you draw the line at? I will have a slip in pamet harbor for the week.

Moses
07-06-2016, 11:53 AM
You lucky bastard. Great timing for your vacation and fishing this area. Mornings are usually best from a wind consideration - anything SW/S is doable up to 10-15 in that size boat. You can also sneak around the backside from Race to PHB and beyond which is usually calm with those winds. Also, being so close at Pamet, if weather gets dicey, you won't get beat up so badly (short distance). Plenty of bait - herring & macks out beyond the lobster pot lines in slightly deeper water. Good luck.

niko
07-06-2016, 02:14 PM
10+ E/NE you can fish rp to wood end but that's about it. Any other direction as long as it's not howling and u should be good to go
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
07-06-2016, 02:59 PM
All the boat wakes are worse than the wind! ;);)

Gail Force on 68, how about you Ponch

Poncho
07-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. If you guys are gonna be out there I would love to say what's up. Gup I'll check you out on 68

Typhoon
07-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Anything NW at the race is bad. Incoming tide comes around the point into that wind and it stands it up

RickBomba
07-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Yeah,
I fish out there in a 20.5 Seacraft MA, and for Race Point you want:
1. Low wind speeds in the AM to get out.
2. Don't go out in a NE or NW in that boat. Gonna stack up too much on you.
3. The southwests can really kick in around 11. If it's a hot day, you'll have a bumpy ride home.
4. If you're launching out of Truro be at the ramp by 4 AM.
5. Don't even think about going out on Mondays or Thursdays.

Follow these rules and listen to Guppy.
Rick

big jay
07-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Anything NW at the race is bad. Incoming tide comes around the point into that wind and it stands it up

True - but they chew hard enough in that NW that you forget about that wall of water you need to drift through.

Poncho
07-11-2016, 05:22 PM
thanks. For the help guys hit it today bright and early Unfortunately did not connect. Doing it again tomorow