View Full Version : What should I know about Nantucket ??

Sudsy
07-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Heading up for the last week in August, kind of a last minute opportunity.

Trying to find the best $$ solutions for getting there and transportation while on island (Jeep rental for the week is $375 a day or $2000 for the week - HOLY #^&#^&#^&#^& - wasn't planning on that, definitely not happening)

Has anyone ever rented a vehicle on the mainland and brought it over ??

Is the island fishable without the beach driving permits ?

Anyone going to be there, want to show a new guy to the place around ??

Rockfish9
07-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Heading up for the last week in August, kind of a last minute opportunity.

Trying to find the best $$ solutions for getting there and transportation while on island (Jeep rental for the week is $375 a day or $2000 for the week - HOLY #^&#^&#^&#^& - wasn't planning on that, definitely not happening)

Has anyone ever rented a vehicle on the mainland and brought it over ??

Is the island fishable without the beach driving permits ?

Anyone going to be there, want to show a new guy to the place around ??

How you been Suds... haven't seen you on any forums since the "old" days of S247... good to see ya posting...I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction...

Raider Ronnie
07-14-2016, 03:19 PM
What should I know about Nantucket.

There once was a girl from there that did all kinds of filthy things.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter
07-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Cash in your 401k.....

Seriously, what are your accommodations? Are you staying with folks there, or renting? I will see what I can dig up for you, but it has been a few years since I did a kitchen on island. I always want to have my own vehicle when I go on such a trip.... Backpack in anything you can for food, etc, as it is one of the most expensive (they like to think it exclusive) venues I can think of.... But some great boat fishing around there..

blondterror
07-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Check with the local B&T shops when you get there.. In the past few years the fall striper fishing has sucked but the false albie fishing has been amazing.

JohnR
07-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Hi Sudsy!

Eel point at night for Bass, south east for Blues, Great point for Bass / Blues / Funny fish.

And lots of seals

Nebe
07-14-2016, 05:33 PM
I am the man from Nantucket

bart
07-14-2016, 06:26 PM
I didn't have a vehicle when I worked there. I was fortunate that the locals on the job site took me out, but I still wouldn't have needed one. There's multiple van or cab services that run 24/7 and will drop you off and pick you up wherever you want (except for GP). I would look into that option, otherwise you'd want a vehicle, at least for a few nights.

Walk the south shore beaches and fish the structure just like you would the outer Cape. You can get blues during the day on metal and bass at night on swimmers, needles, and 9" slug-gos. Most people say the water is too warm on the south shore at that time, but I didn't find that to be true. This was the advice I was given when I went out in Aug a couple years ago and it proved to be good advice.

You can also fish the harbor, in between the jetties. You have to wade over a trough to get to shallow water, but then you're able to fish the deep channels in there. Probably best to do that with someone familiar with the area, though.

Oh, and for affordable food....stop and shop

Good luck.

stripermaineiac
07-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Plus lots of seals there. They like Albies too

thefishingfreak
07-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Go out to smith point facing north or eel point facing west and toss a big old chunk of mackerel or bluefish on a 6 foot wire leader. There are sandbar sharks up to 150# that cruise real close to the beach at night. A penn 9500ss and a 10 foot pole will get the job done

bart
07-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Go out to smith point facing north or eel point facing west and toss a big old chunk of mackerel or bluefish on a 6 foot wire leader. There are sandbar sharks up to 150# that cruise real close to the beach at night. A penn 9500ss and a 10 foot pole will get the job done

You gave me this advice when i went out there. Wish I'd had the time to follow up with the suggestion

JohnnySaxatilis
07-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Do yourself a favor and go to Cisco Brewery just about 10 mins out of town. Awesome beer garden style setup, food trucks, raw bar, and live music on the weekends. Dog and kid friendly, place turns into a zoo at times but really worth it one of my favorite places to go.

As for fishing, everything's pretty much already been said. My dad usually just rocks wire leaders and metal most of the time looking for blues on smith's point. He got a bonito from shore on GP last year during a good bite. Hope you get a chance to find a vehicle with a 4x4 sticker, cuz offroading is always fun! Or hire a small charter to go out to the bonito bar, the funny fish should be filtering in right now. Cheers