View Full Version : This place is dead......

nightfighter
07-25-2016, 07:23 PM
I hope it is because everyone is out fishing. But I suspect not. More of a political site lately. Even Classifieds is dead. Where is the Stripertalk? Is everyone on FB?

I took a friend from Phoenix out on Saturday just after dawn. Put him on a couple fish on the bottom of the tide before the sun and heat drove us back home. I think he hit the fish on the nose with the live mac with his first cast. That took the pressure off of me to find fish.... He had been in NYC for a second opinion and had just gotten some tough news about skin cancer that had spread into his cheek and nose, so I was very happy to see him enjoying himself.
The weekend was more eating seafood than anything else. Three of us finished ten lobsters Saturday night and we went to Farnham's in Essex for clams and calamari on Sunday afternoon.

ecduzitgood
07-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Tough news to get but it sounds like some good memories were made, nice job finding the fish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
07-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Keeping quiet for the time being.

Lots going on

New job....again

Fishing has been great

Some good stories

Lots of pics to upload, maybe John will make it so we can upload from Mobile ;)

BigFish
07-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Been doing a lot of freshwater yak fishing....not much striper....yet!;)

Clammer
07-25-2016, 08:50 PM
TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :af: HOT ><><><

beamie
07-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Really not too much happening lately south of Boston.

The live bait catching has thinning out. The large bass during at least daytime on live bait are no existent. Just small recreational size bass.

The blue fishing is getting good....hence to bait issue......, so thats fun.

Nebe
07-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Goosefish took a 32 pounder from th surf last night. There's some striper talk :hee:

redlite
07-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Goosefish took a 32 pounder from th surf last night. There's some striper talk :hee:

Good to hear john back to fishin. Had some good times in narraganstt with him back in the day

Nebe
07-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Good to hear john back to fishin. Had some good times in narraganstt with him back in the day
Me too! Yep he's back at it. Got his number? He probably wouldn't mind some company some night

Slipknot
07-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Been on gun forum lately, haven't you heard? our illustrious head TYRANT AG Maura Healy took it upon herself to change a law last week and made lots of us into potential felons:fury:

piemma
07-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Same here. Just real busy although I have been posting everyday. bathroom is finished now on to the next project.

Fishing has been slow for bass but bustin out for Blues and Scup

Clammer
07-26-2016, 05:23 AM
paulie , they have fins .y GOTTA MOVE ... they are around & catchable ,if that,s what ya want <><ME .no fish ,just breakfast & A/C :shocked:

Rmarsh
07-26-2016, 06:28 AM
There has been more bait around lately...and the bluefish have noticed.

spinncognito
07-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Dropped a nice fish at my feet this morning. 30#er anyway, she jumped clear out of the water after taking the guppy pencil, fish had some girth but she won the end game before I could put my hands on her. She was a real head-shaker during the fight and left me shaking mine as she swam away.

Got Stripers
07-26-2016, 07:01 AM
When I had a T-top and canvass this heat was doable, not so much in an open kayak, it gets real hot fast. Been playing golf early am's to avoid the heat and hoping for a rainy day I can get out and fish in.

Clammer
07-26-2016, 07:09 AM
GS Ya should come to breakfast .& then we can go back to A/C & talk about people & times from the early SB.com >>:buds:

Rockfish9
07-26-2016, 08:28 AM
No face book Ross.... just fishing.... most consistant fishing in about 3 years... no real monsters.. teens and ..20 lb up to about 30lb class .. but a lot of them.... but because I fish eels...from a boat...north of the cape...no need to discuss.

Sea Dangles
07-26-2016, 08:57 AM
I got a few tunoids yesterday
Bon apetit

ProfessorM
07-26-2016, 09:16 AM
B day tuna good for you. I have been fishing with numbskull a lot but he won't let me talk about all the nice 16" plug fish we have been catching. Opps sorry slipped out

JohnR
07-26-2016, 09:42 AM
I am so angry with the world as disfunction pulls the football away frm Charlie Brown's sanity at the last possible moment.

And work really sucks. Miserable.

Clammer
07-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Quit talking about it boss & make the change ><><>

Rockport24
07-26-2016, 10:03 AM
fishing has been decent for me but still lack of big fish that I have seen in the past in my spots.. I know they are out there though!

tysdad115
07-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Shore based fishing has been real tough in all of the areas I fish. It will pick up soon so in the mean time we're shooting in as many competitions as we can.

fish raptor
07-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Shore based fishing has been real tough in all of the areas I fish. It will pick up soon so in the mean time we're shooting in as many competitions as we can.

Wete headin out this weekend on the boat. Not sure but may start off around the Elizabeth's unless new Intel becomes avail

Yudi
07-26-2016, 01:21 PM
I just got back from a family trip to the Cape which was excellent. Great weather last week, kids had tons of fun at Mayflower and Corporation during the day. Took a boat trip to Monomoy, hit Nausset and Chatham beaches for dinner and a walk. By night things just got better. I got out fishing pretty much every night and did excellent. Over the week I had 4 30 lb. fish, 3 25 lb. fish, 6 20 lb. fish and plenty of schoolies to round it out.

nightfighter
07-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Rockport and Tysdad, the operative word in the previous post is "night"

MAKAI
07-26-2016, 02:07 PM
This year is the least amount of fishing I have ever done by far.
Buried with work and lifes myriad complications.

Rockport24
07-26-2016, 03:31 PM

yes and nightime has been the right time lately in these parts I know... just doesn't fit with my schedule lately, but I should make the effort.

still, not seeing as many fish in the 20lb class on the live macks on the dawn shift that I had seen in past years..

tysdad115
07-26-2016, 03:32 PM

I am a creature of the night..waders and wetsuit all have just been slow for me so I moved onto something else to pass time for now. Took a break from running myself into the ground driving all over hell and that doesn't count the canal. Fishing isn't the only thing I do so I'm good with that.

tysdad115
07-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Wete headin out this weekend on the boat. Not sure but may start off around the Elizabeth's unless new Intel becomes avail

We're around Sunday if you're looking for company, Saturday we have a 3 gun match.

chris L
07-26-2016, 06:26 PM
We were all playing hide and seek and you found us ! Ok now you go hide . Glad you got your buddy into fish and he seemed to have a good time doing it . Is it his first time seeing the ocean ? I had 3 times in my life were I either took someone or met someone on the beach that had never seen the ocean before . " it goes on forever " The look on their face was absolutely the best .

So go hide , find a good spot where we cant find you

fish raptor
07-27-2016, 12:43 AM

I have never fished at night but easily realize it is a big advantage...but with that said can only guess that for the most part would only make a difference "topwater" fishing compared to fishing deeper water at night. I would love to try it from my boat but do not have radar which I would assume is an absolute must for night time fishing ? It's only my second year with the boat....I'll eventually get there....

Rockfish9
07-28-2016, 08:44 AM
I have never fished at night but easily realize it is a big advantage...but with that said can only guess that for the most part would only make a difference "topwater" fishing compared to fishing deeper water at night. I would love to try it from my boat but do not have radar which I would assume is an absolute must for night time fishing ? It's only my second year with the boat....I'll eventually get there....

Larger fish that spend the day offshore often times move in close to shore at night...I rarely fish more than 6' 0f water...I rarely fish during the day after mid June... and no on the radar... not a must ...for years all I fished with was a compass and a paddle.. paddle determined the depth compass lined up my drifts and found my way home.... using line of sight navigating and landmarks ( lights in this case) made me a better more observant fisherman... I still use these skills after nearly 50 years on the water... the fish finder and GPS/map are sweet additions to my boat but land marks don't move and a compass never looses it's satellites...

Got Stripers
07-28-2016, 09:16 AM
GS Ya should come to breakfast .& then we can go back to A/C & talk about people & times from the early SB.com >>:buds:

Sure I'd be up for that, I want to check out the ramp on Sakonnet Point for the kayak and some fall fishing. Looks like cooler weather is coming in next week finally and some long overdue rain tomorrow.

JohnR
07-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Quit talking about it boss & make the change ><><>

I can't survive long enough to between not making a living and making a living :lasso:

fish raptor
07-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Larger fish that spend the day offshore often times move in close to shore at night...I rarely fish more than 6' 0f water...I rarely fish during the day after mid June... and no on the radar... not a must ...for years all I fished with was a compass and a paddle.. paddle determined the depth compass lined up my drifts and found my way home.... using line of sight navigating and landmarks ( lights in this case) made me a better more observant fisherman... I still use these skills after nearly 50 years on the water... the fish finder and GPS/map are sweet additions to my boat but land marks don't move and a compass never looses it's satellites...

I found your post most interesting.... I just can't envision night time manuvering on the boat. I guess with a full moon it might be doable but without..... how do you see (avoid) all the lobsta buoys ? it's not the getting to and from that I am worried about, it's hitting something in between. I should either try something simple (close) the first time or.... go with someone else at night to get a "feel" for what to expect.

Where do I meet you....:cheers:

Rockfish9
07-28-2016, 02:58 PM
I found your post most interesting.... I just can't envision night time manuvering on the boat. I guess with a full moon it might be doable but without..... how do you see (avoid) all the lobsta buoys ? it's not the getting to and from that I am worried about, it's hitting something in between. I should either try something simple (close) the first time or.... go with someone else at night to get a "feel" for what to expect.

First ..it's amazing how much you can see when your eyes adjust... local knowledge is a great help as well... It's 12 miles from the mouth of the river to my honey hole on the beach...most of the lobster line is in and around 30' of water... run @ 50' and keep your eyes peeled... most nights are easy... 16 knots is comfortable on all but the darkest nights... I "plink" a pot buoy now and again but it's rare.... nights with a "salmon chop" are the worst.. hard to pick up the pots in the chop. .. I run a SS prop in case I pick up a line... take it out of gear and if it's not cut it float free... I've been making that run since 1972... only damaged a few props ( mostly in my younger days when speed was more of an issue) and one lower unit. That was on a submerged telephone pole ( that could have happened during the day just as easily) .. it could have ended badly. luckily I only broke one tooth on a pinion gear.. I limped home no issues... I caught a floating gill net once... that required getting in the water with A knife in my teeth. Rambo style.. I also run tight to the beach ... if I know there are no surf casters about... most around these parts anchor bait on the bottom and have lights on the rods.. I can see them a long ways off.. those that don't have lights hit the head lamp and I'll move out a bit and give them a wide berth. Most of the time. I'm aware of where the fish are( or might be) so I'm looking for fisherman... right now there is a piping plover ban so I know where there are no surfcasters and where they are allowed to fish. That changes by mid August...Thousands of trips very few incidents... it's second nature this stage of my life.

you make your way to Plum Island Mass during a week night I'm heading out ( I don't do weekends).. you're more than welcome to come with...

RickBomba
07-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Hey Ross,
Aside from the night bite, you should try heading north with macs.

They are sooooo close to shore. Swing them baits in, take the boat out of gear, and WHAM.

I tried running into the tide like I was trolling a tube and worm, and it worked great. My favorite technique is to move the boat close to a ledge or big rock. then take the boat out of gear, and let the macs swim.

Any time you want to come out with me, let me know. I launch out of Rockport. Free parking for your truck. My boat draws about 18" of water, so I can get in kind of skinny.

PM or call me if you want to go.

Thanks,
Rick

Rockport24
07-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Rick I didn't know you fish Rockport??!

piemma
07-30-2016, 05:48 AM

Narragansett Bay is FULL of lobster pots and we run at night all the time. In 10 years I have snagged 3 pots at night. Usually its a matter of power down, tip the motor up and, sometime, cut the line. Other times just unwrap off the prop if its not too tangled.

Rmarsh
07-30-2016, 07:54 AM
My lure bag has a collection of plastic swimmers like sp minnows, which is what I use most of the time, but they don't work very good in a strong current.

So last night I switched to a 2oz bucktail jig tipped with gulp.

Not a large fish at all.... but saved my night, and I might have learned something.

RickBomba
07-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Rick I didn't know you fish Rockport??!

Hi Matty,
I spent my early years driving a 25 foot Sea Ray, which we launched from the Granite Pier for 20 years.

I think I know the approaches to both Gloucester and Rockport as well as any place to launch, aside from the Pamet in Truro.

I probably have been there 300 times in the last 20 years to fish for stripers.

Later,
Rick

nightfighter
08-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Another road trip! Heading down to Westport tonight. Booked a room. Meet up with Chris and enjoy a day on his sled chasing Charlie tomorrow! Get to meet Guppy too! I have a feeling there will be a few boats from the board out there......

ecduzitgood
08-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Good luck, and stay safe out there.

RickBomba
08-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Another road trip! Heading down to Westport tonight. Booked a room. Meet up with Chris and enjoy a day on his sled chasing Charlie tomorrow! Get to meet Guppy too! I have a feeling there will be a few boats from the board out there......

That's awesome. I hope you guys kill them. Tell Dangles I tried to text him to see what's up for the tuna season.
Thanks,
Rick

RIROCKHOUND
08-03-2016, 04:53 PM
have a feeling there will be a few boats from the board out there......

Half of new England will be out there. Good luck. Sitting this one out for work/social engagement. Waiting for some new water at the edge.....

nightfighter
08-19-2016, 07:38 AM
Pretty quiet in here..... Bones and albies should be getting some posts... The bell is ringing for some of the best fishing of the year.

Rockfish9
08-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Pretty quiet in here..... Bones and albies should be getting some posts... The bell is ringing for some of the best fishing of the year.

As I said in the weekend post... best week of the season this week.. bass of all sizes...I fished every night this week and only saw 3 boats all week... all on selling nights...it'll only get better from here until late September..