View Full Version : Lesson not learned

redlite
08-05-2003, 11:15 AM
After the other night's fiasco, i should have learned to quit fishing until there are solid reports and pictures all over the internet of people hanging 30# fish, especially when the Walfart rod crews start getting them.
Friday night against my better judgement, my buddy and I headed down. We tried all the beaches from Truro to P-town.........All unfishable. Made the Stomp from head of the meadow to high head. That was a mistake. Found a little fishable water, but no fish. Decided to go all the way down, grab the Rover, and head out to the Race to at least catch some blues and spare ourselves the skunking. Was real quite. We managed a few small blues out under the light house. I had a chomper of about 4 lbs., which was the biggest we'd seen in a while. Well, things go down hill from here....

Heading back in, all of a sudden the Rover goes .Sputter, Sputter..Blah..........Oh Oh. Look at gas gauge and she says EMPTY. We are in the single track as you come around the light just before the cross over. No one will be able to get by. Great. Get her started and she had just enough juice to get out of the tracks.. Phew. Its a long walk back. We have now both been up for over 24 hours straight and pounded a lot of sand. This sucks. Fortunately a couple of the guys I fish with regualarly were out there with us. They came along and gave us a ride off the beach. They wanted to head out the back beach, so we said we would take my buddy's truck and go get gas and meet them back at the air up. Well, as they drive off, I say to my buddy, " Gee, I sure hope you didn't leave your keys in your plug bag that just went with them".......He feels around and goes, "oh, oh, I left them out in the Rover"........Knucklehead. So we wait the hour for them to come back in. They laugh their arses off, especially since we looked like leftovers from the night of the living dead we were so tired. They drive us back out to the Rover, drop us off at the truck and say they'll wait for us. So we fly to the first gas station. No gas cans. Go to the next station.......no gas cans. Go to the 3rd one and the lady lets me borrow hers out of her trunk. Head back out. Get to the Rover, gas her up, and finally get off the beach. Learned that the Rangers don't show up until later when it is crappy out. Had hoped to get gas from them.....Like my Dad did when he did the same thing earlier this year. Like father like son........

From now on, going to be sure to check the gas gauge before I head out. Thank god for my buddies that were more than generous in helping us out.

fishweewee
08-05-2003, 11:20 AM
What year Rover? They drink gas like there is no tomorrow, given permanent 4WD.

redlite
08-05-2003, 11:24 AM
1973 Series 3. Only a 4 cyclinder, so not bad on gas.
A case of driver error combined with severe sleep depravation......and aggravation of no fish.......
that combo can drive a person insane.......

Slingah
08-05-2003, 02:05 PM
You havin sum bum luck the past week....u better stay home for a while.:smash:

macojoe
08-05-2003, 02:42 PM
You are not the first, and you will not be the last!! But hopefuly this will be your last time!!
I have a buddy that has a bum gage in his truck. He always trys to have gas, but you no!! Well anyway he went and bought a can of the Rescue Gas It can stay in your car for ever. It has helped him a couple of times!

BigFish
08-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Redlite...I was kind of thinking about trying to hook up with you and Slingah ASAP but, aaahhh...I don't know:doh: maybe we should leave you home for awhile.:uhuh: Just kidding Redlite:laugha: :hihi: I would like to get together and all go fishing some night. Lets see what we can do.:uhuh: Oh, and by the way...I think I will drive, you need a night off. Let someone else worry about the driving.:laugha:Headed out with Slingah tonight :uhuh: hope we get into them.:drool: I am way over due. Later Redlite.

macojoe
08-05-2003, 04:49 PM
I got the sticker but have not gone to the Race yet!! Is there anything going on up there?? How is the mung??
With this wind the boating stinks so I might try to go to the beach? Still trying to use that 4 year old brand new rig I have.

MikeTLive
08-07-2003, 10:16 AM
you should get a jug of that emergency gas.
toss it in the rover for those times when you are Really SMRT.