View Full Version : Block Island Car Rental

Surf Caster
08-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Anyone here ever rent a car on Block? We can't get a car ferry reservation for a last minute trip and ever place i've called is charging outrageous prices. Just curious if anyone had any experience finding a reasonable price.

DZ
08-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Anyone here ever rent a car on Block? We can't get a car ferry reservation for a last minute trip and ever place i've called is charging outrageous prices. Just curious if anyone had any experience finding a reasonable price.

On the other site someone mentioned they rented a Subaru on Block for one night at $120. How long you going for?

Surf Caster
08-08-2016, 01:58 PM
On the other site someone mentioned they rented a Subaru on Block for one night at $120. How long you going for?

Thanks DZ. We're trying to go for two nights.

I got a quote of $375+taxes/fees for 48 hours for a jeep.

DZ
08-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Not sure how many of you are going but the more that go the cheaper the split. $100 apiece for four guys is not bad. Are you staying somewhere or roughing it? If you have a place to stay I'd suggest going over without a vehicle and taking a taxi to areas you want to fish. If you're in walking shape have a cab drop you off say at Black Rock then work your way back to town. If you don't have a place to crash it will be tough without a vehicle for two nights.

Nebe
08-08-2016, 02:16 PM
supply and demand
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperswiper75
08-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Are you trying to go over mid week or weekend? Mid week you might be able to get away with standby over and standby back. Make sure you are first in line and you will likely get over and back on the day in question. Sitting in the standby line is total misery though. Weekend standby is tougher, but if you are first in line, someone is likely have had too much fun the prior night and miss their opening.
There are never any guarantees though.

Rob Rockcrawler
08-08-2016, 07:35 PM
You could do the stand by. I have only once not gotten over on stand by, but I made it on the next boat. Same for coming back. That is in the fall when there are far fewer people but also far fewer boats running.

Funny story from this past fall. A family rented a jeep and went out on the town beach. Made it about 50' from the bathhouse and buried that thing like they were trying. They asked for a tow out, I declined since my transfer case is iffy and offered them moral support and some ideas. First question I asked was "is it in 4 wheel drive", they weren't sure so I hop in the drivers seat and see the sticker that says "4x4 disabled, $250.00 fine for beach driving". They were way past the point of digging out, they had to jack and fill but didn't have a jack. Talked to them the next day, 400.00.

Steve K
08-10-2016, 09:10 AM
You could do the stand by. I have only once not gotten over on stand by, but I made it on the next boat. Same for coming back. That is in the fall when there are far fewer people but also far fewer boats running.

Funny story from this past fall. A family rented a jeep and went out on the town beach. Made it about 50' from the bathhouse and buried that thing like they were trying. They asked for a tow out, I declined since my transfer case is iffy and offered them moral support and some ideas. First question I asked was "is it in 4 wheel drive", they weren't sure so I hop in the drivers seat and see the sticker that says "4x4 disabled, $250.00 fine for beach driving". They were way past the point of digging out, they had to jack and fill but didn't have a jack. Talked to them the next day, 400.00.

I had the same experience driving by Charlestown beach with a jeep cj buried to the axles by 4 Eastern European summer workers. The 4wd was not working. They had to get a farmer with a tractor to pull them out as the tide was rising. The tires were fully inflated too.

Steve K
08-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Forgot to mention that sometimes, like last Saturday, they will run a small ferry to get commercial vehicles over and you can get lucky if you are on standby. BI doesn't want you to take your vehicle over so they don't make it easy by adding more car capacity. Better off taking cabs and riding bikes than renting a car.