View Full Version : Fall Squid

Cool Beans
08-15-2016, 01:08 PM
I have only targeted squid in the spring, but am looking to get some this fall. What should I be looking for water temp wise and tide wise to catch them. I was told that squid are around all summer by a friend of mine, but think he may full of crap.

Clammer
08-15-2016, 01:18 PM
CB ............. we were fishing last week & went up a bank from 35. to a range from 20 to 30 ............ we went from no bait on the machine to the whole screen ........like stupid bait ...looked like schools af adult bunker .way to large for schools of scup ..........................at the same time a Zodic comes right up to the general area of where we were ..................he was doing circles watching his machine .............. he did a circle & then took out a unlta light outfit & began to jig for squid ><<>

the same place on an the outgoing there was a dingy . with oars that stayed in the same area the whole drop but we were to far to actually see what he was doing ..

that was a 1st for me & we didn,t have time to play around because we had a long way to get back & not much time to sell ><><>:kewl:

spinncognito
08-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Squid showed up early on the N Shore this year in Mid-May and have not slowed down much if at all. I caught a couple dozen last night in fact. They are so abundant and so widespread that they are everywhere. I saw a guy bass fishing with a fly rod and picking up squid, off a beach. It has become almost commonplace to snag them with pencil poppers from the rocks, beaches and even in the local river.

Last year I ran into a guy who had two 5 gallon buckets full of huge squid, a week before Thanksgiving!

BFThunter
08-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Loads and loads of squid eggs at Crane beach this weekend.

riff_raff
08-16-2016, 02:30 PM
Loads and loads of squid eggs at Crane beach this weekend.

What does a squid egg look like?

BFThunter
08-16-2016, 02:46 PM
https://victoriakayak.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IMG_4335-2.jpg

riff_raff
08-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Wow that's freakin bizzare - I wouldn't even recognize it as something other than maybe seaweed.. One squid makes all that?

BFThunter
08-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Not sure if it's from one squid. That's not my picture as I don't have it online to upload, but some of the piles were 3' long and 1.5' wide. Tons of it. Freaks you out good when you're wading and a clump brushes past you.