View Full Version : EELS

Nova Striper
08-05-2003, 08:43 PM
So I went out tonigth with a littel ultra light and some cut up mackeral and caught myself a bunch of eels I got one that was about 3 feet long scared the bejeezus out of me...anyway i got 6 eels about 12 to 16 inches long.....Now my intention is to fish them in a lake (landlock Strieprs) and I was curius if wether or not tto troll em or just cast em out and let em swim around......I was marking fish on the finder a few days ago at about 60 feet. Any suggestions??
Oh and the other night at around dark I was out in the middle of the lake and I could hear huge splashes Im thinking this might be big stripers gulping up some baitfish on top? Sound about right? I moved over slowly with the trolling motor and startd throwing some large rapala's but no takers.....Its hard fishign these thing alone tho..its alost a two person job lol

JohnR
08-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Well, You'll want to get them down near the fish so three way them - use a three way swivel, run your mono / flouro leader 30-50# test to a 6/0 hook in thru the eel's mouth and out thru the bottom of jaw, Run the bottom eye of the swivel with a lighter line say 8-10 pounds with the needed sinker weight to get down.

That will get them in the strike zone...

Joe
08-06-2003, 04:27 AM
Nova Scotia, huh?
I know you are asking the question here, but I'm curious about that place.
How far are you from the ocean?
Could you tell us some stuff about the striper fishery up there?
Season duration, average sizes, what size is considered "keeper" and how frequently you get fish, of say, twenty pounds or better?
Thanks - Joe:think:

Saltheart
08-06-2003, 08:04 AM
Put them on a jig head and fish them like a sinking lure. cast , let sink , retrieve slowly.

Nova Striper
08-06-2003, 08:41 PM
The Striper fishery here in Nova scotia dosnt seem to be as good as the fishing your way however there are still some excellent oppertunities to be had....The bay of Fundy has some striper fishing form May until usually august.....Alot of people get them goin up rivers to spawn in the Minas Basin area.....I am on the water I live approx 1/2 hour north of halifax ther is a lake called porters lake which is half tidal.....very large stripers come up this very tiny river to spwan or feed up int he lake during summer..the past years tho the fishery has seemed very obsolete however the rumor is of a 63 pounder caught this year....I have focused much of my strieprs fishing after the landlock veriety whcih Im sure is very different than than the Tidal fishing however Iam slowly learnign a bit on the Tidal fish....the average fish around here seems to be no bigger than 5 or 6 pounds "schoolie sized fish" but there are also Mosters around jsut so hard to catch...the keeper size here i 26 1/2 inches and the DnR are very very strict about this. But through my understanding many peopel dont keep them anymore becasue of the slump we are in we are trying to get the population back up...