View Full Version : New Northbar Darter, review, first impressions

chefchris401
08-27-2016, 12:11 PM
So the long awaited NB Darter was finally publicly released this week.

14 colors out now,

saltwater edge had em for $22.99

Eyes are better looking than what they've been using lately on the BD

VMC 3/0 hooks and wolverine split rings

Listed weight is 2.5oz on the package

Weighed them (3 I bought) and they only weigh 2oz. So not sure if it's a misprint or what? But that half oz makes a big difference in casting.

The SS weighs 2.3oz for comparison.

They are slightly wider than an SS but the same length. The NB is 1.0 wide and the SS is .96

Wasn't too impressed with casting distance especially into a strong SW wind but that just might be more getting use to casting it.

They swim shallow, and have a nice darting action with a slight tap of the rod

I fish my darters very slow, and every 4th crank give em a slight tap of the rod, they sway really nice

After I got home I decided to load one to get it to 2.5oz, same body design as the BD so figured the chambers would be the same, added .5oz of water and sealed it back up. Haven't fished it yet as I did it last night. Pic shows location of the hole and final weight before I closed the hole up.

Kind of surprised they went with such a similar shape and size to the SS, wish they would have gone bigger/wider and 3oz range.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on em, first impressions, fished impressions, etc

I'll keep adding to this within the next couple days.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

chefchris401
08-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Posted a bunch of pics on my FB page, will try and upload here once I get onto a regular computer unless someone else wants to do it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ilovetwofish
08-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks Chris for the info, I love the old darters even though I have not fished one in almost 2 years.
I am starting to get the fall fever back so When I try one of the the new ones I will give my input.
Sean!!

tattoobob
08-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Wow 23 bucks for a plastic plug, is it me or is this seem like alot

fishbones
08-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Wow 23 bucks for a plastic plug, is it me or is this seem like alot

If you knew what Larry put into it, you'd understand. He spends more on r&d than you could imagine.

chefchris401
08-27-2016, 08:25 PM
I think it's fair at the end of the day.

Between r&d, molds, paint, hardware, packaging, shipping, fish and game taxes, etc

Plus if the shops are getting $23, he's getting probably like $9-12 a plug in his pocket.

Most shops are aiming for 40% mark up five or take.

Sebiles were costing shops $8 at one point.

I love the SS plugs and his bottle darters. They perform right and I've only ever gotten one bad Northbar. Which was replaced with three plugs direct from Larry

They last forever so unless I lose one I don't really buy em cause they wear out like a wood plug falling part/taking on water, etc

Excited to fish the loaded one and see how/if it will they will take/earn a spot in the bag.

Nebe
08-27-2016, 09:39 PM
I want to see a 3 ounce darter in plastic. Like a beach master. Those injection molds must cost a lot of $$

chefchris401
08-27-2016, 10:24 PM
I want to see a 3 ounce darter in plastic. Like a beach master. Those injection molds must cost a lot of $$

That's the same thing everyone wants!

It's the one comment that keeps coming up.

Like a musso style 3oz

I was hoping this one would have been 2.5oz and then loaded to 3oz

wdmso
08-28-2016, 06:05 AM
been in fishy waters with a darter and never caught put an eel on Bam I just have no faith in them .. not saying they dont catch they just dont for me :buds:

chefchris401
08-28-2016, 10:40 AM
been in fishy waters with a darter and never caught put an eel on Bam I just have no faith in them .. not saying they dont catch they just dont for me :buds:

Funny I'm the same way with eels, f those things

bloocrab
08-28-2016, 11:02 AM
:confused:.......you have no faith in an eel?
You must mean you don't like using them.......that would be almost like not having faith in a sandworm to catch a scup?

chefchris401
08-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Fished the 3 I had last night

Conditions were 10-15mph SW winds with fast coming tide

The factory ones. Just couldn't reach the rip and cut the wind, had one bump on a yellow

Switched the loaded bone version and was able to bomb it way pass the rip into the white water , 2nd cast a solid 18lb fish inhaled it, had 5 more fish in 15-20 casts from 16" dinks to 34" fish

The plug was able to still swim great and held great in the faster moving surf, and more importantly was able to dig deeper

I'd say 4-6' deep

Pretty happy with loaded version so far

Another thing I noticed while comparing them to SS and other in the bag. Is that the seam doesn't seem to be sanded done at all, not that it matters but another observation

Surf Caster
11-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Curious if you guys have more feedback on these? I've thrown them but no luck. My fishing has been limited this fall and it seems all the fish I have caught this fall want jigs!

rphud
11-22-2016, 09:59 AM
So is a Northbar better/same/not as good as a SS? or just different?

Like I need an excuse to buy another darter.

DZ
11-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Different - fishes well, doesn't cast as well. Not a replacement for the SS but IMO should be considered another tool in the box.

rphud
11-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Thanks Dennis, just the excuse I was looking for!

chefchris401
11-22-2016, 10:56 AM
I only fish the loaded ones now, they swim deeper 4-6ft I'd say and hold in big surf, was throwing it along the beaches in soco in some big swells with no issues

For me the ss is staple in the bag and the loaded NB will be a location/surf depending plug

PaulS
11-22-2016, 11:41 AM
I loaded the north bar darter with about ten cc's of water. I think it fishes deeper than the super strike

DZ
11-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Thanks Dennis, just the excuse I was looking for!

And if you really want another excuse for something new pick up the new Sebile Stick Shadd, slow sink 155 in Ghostescent. IMO the best new plug of 2016 and something that fills a much needed niche in my type of surfcasting.

rphud
11-22-2016, 12:11 PM
I was just thinking "I need an excuse to buy a Sebile"

stripermaineiac
11-23-2016, 06:37 AM
Still like the old 3 hook Gibbs. Cast better an swims better than most of the new stuff. Just hard to find them to recondition them. Those big screw eyes hold up much better than the new ones. Still think Paul an George make the best out there. Only got 2 left. Big girls like them as bling I think LOL.

Surf Caster
12-05-2016, 10:19 PM
And if you really want another excuse for something new pick up the new Sebile Stick Shadd, slow sink 155 in Ghostescent. IMO the best new plug of 2016 and something that fills a much needed niche in my type of surfcasting.

DZ - what situation(s) have you found them most useful in?

JaredCNA
12-07-2016, 03:02 PM
I have only fished the NB darter twice, and late in the season. Caught 1 26" striper. I will try loading it. Gibbs has been my best producing darter by far this year. SS hasn't had as much water time as my gibbs. Probably because of my confidence in the Gibbs.