View Full Version : #^&#^&#^&#^& Hopwood Passed Away

Dave Peros
08-29-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm a little surprised that I am the first to post this, given that Maco's, the bait and tackle shop that #^&#^&#^&#^& and his late wife Dottie ran, was a must visit for many folks fishing the Canal and Buzzards Bay.
I always enjoyed talking with both of them, with Dottie sharing a fluke secret with me: a mummichog, sand eel, and squid sandwich. All three went on the hook, offering a tempting smorgasbord to hungry fluke. I remember when they had the second shop on Green Pond in Falmouth that Dottie carried mummichogs (or chubs as some called them).
Maco's was the last shop on the Canal that regularly carried eelskins, I recall, and the last time I spoke with #^&#^&#^&#^& at the new location I commented on how cool the sitting area was in the front of the shop. #^&#^&#^&#^& then went on and told me about how the old-timers used to get their eels through the ice during the winter and then sit around the old place skinning them in preparation for the upcoming season.
#^&#^&#^&#^& always had great stories like that to tell and he was so generous with his time, something that fishing writers really appreciate since we know that talking with us can be a bit of a pain after working with the fishing public all day.
I have said it way too many times when someone like #^&#^&#^&#^& passes, but I wish I had taken the time to sit with him and write down all his reminisces. It's another opportunity missed and I will surely miss the sight of his truck passing my house with that MACOS license plate providing a sense that all was right with the world.
May you rest in peace, #^&#^&#^&#^&.

Slipknot
08-29-2016, 03:47 PM
:(
RIP #^&#^&#^&#^&
I did not know him but I did shop there quite a few times over the years. Sorry to hear of his passing.
I do also remember seeing his plate as I have passed him on the highway a couple of times.

ProfessorM
08-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Yes Dave a big loss. I was just in there Friday for eels. RIP.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
08-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Met him a couple times - did not know him well, seemed to love what we do :btu:

BigFish
08-30-2016, 11:34 AM
Sorry to hear and condolences to all who knew him!:(

chris L
08-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Thats too bad . RIP .