View Full Version : Freshwater gear help

Zeal
09-03-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't see a Freshwater section, though we never had one, but it is bass related so...

Found a 2 piece, 6'6", medium action South Bend XTC200 rod in my closet. Mint condition, Model TC-345
Rated 8-14lb line weight, 3/16 - 5/8 oz lure weight

The reel that came with it is long gone but I figure that this is a largemouth bass type rod, I really don't know much about freshwater except my tiny trout rod.

Anybody know what a decent reel would be for this thing? What line should be put on it? I'd be using this only during July and August when the ocean is too rough for Fluking, freshwater trips have been very rare for me. I have a bunch of largemouth hooks, and some other things that are probably meant for other species but I'm clueless.

Haven't looked through my freshwater box in a very long time...

chefchris401
09-03-2016, 02:24 PM
2500 size reel

Mono 6-10lb or braid 10lb

You'll cover most your bases with that set up, crank baits, rattle trap, spinner baits, zoom flukes

It's a little light for jigs

But fine for rubber worming and everything else

Whatever you do don't go down the swimbait road! Look up Roman made mother a deal at $550 each, and 12oz
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

puppet
09-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Considering your interval I would suggest braid.
No memory and it can sit for years.

I have a 2000 size reel on my fw outfit.
I think a 1500 size wpuld be fine as well.
Most critters are not gonna run...

I have 15# pp on mine. Left over from so cal surffishing.
It is 6# mono diameter. The stuff I have is used and broken in,
but if you want some pm me your address when you get your reel
and let me know how much you need.

Senkos....I usually just take a pack or two of them
and a couple spoons and put the hurt on those
poor fresh water critters.

Zeal
09-03-2016, 03:15 PM
The "larger" fish we have around here on LI (our lakes have pretty limited access unless you have a boat) are largemouth (nothing to brag about though size wise), small mouth, chain pickerel (lot of them around here apparently), brown bullhead catfish, yellow perch.

Crappie I don't think they get that big along with pumpkin seed and your typical panfish.

Only trout get big here but that is a rarity since they are stockies mostly and I have my pole only meant for them and panfish (though my target is always trout).

Aiming for just using artificials, senko worms always are mentioned along with artificial frog. We get a lot of heavy vegetation here so snags are extremely common.

Appreciate it gents.

chefchris401
09-03-2016, 03:28 PM
That set up won't be strong enough for frogging in heavy cover.

My frogging set up is Abu veritas rod 7' rated .5-2.5oz and Abu low pro reel with 65lb braid, you need a heavy backbone and heavy braid

senkos slay, as dumb as they are they catch, try putting a worm weight peg in one end and wacky rig it thru the middle

Zeal
09-04-2016, 06:55 PM
That set up won't be strong enough for frogging in heavy cover.

My frogging set up is Abu veritas rod 7' rated .5-2.5oz and Abu low pro reel with 65lb braid, you need a heavy backbone and heavy braid

senkos slay, as dumb as they are they catch, try putting a worm weight peg in one end and wacky rig it thru the middle

That strong of a setup just to use a small frog lure? Dear lord I might as well use one of my salt setups at that rate!

I'll have to look up this "pegging", one thing I do know is that those Senko worms tear very easy, going to have to find an O ring to cheat that

Saw the Mother, $500 dollars can buy many things but it looks like art work rather than a lure! The fact people buy it is amazing....