View Full Version : No spark on Merc 260

RickBomba
08-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey guys,
Can't seem to get a spark on my new merc 260 (rebuilt).
I'm not getting the right voltage across the coil, this is where the problem begins.
So far I've tested the shift interrupt switch (fine) and all wires going into the distributor (fine). The only thing I can't test is the ignition amplifier (it's a thunderbolt 4). Anybody ever have this problem before???
The amplifier is like $300 and once I own it, well you guys know the deal.
Any help would be appreciated; I'm very close to bringing it to a mechanic.
Thanks,
Rick

Fly Rod
08-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Try www.iboats.com After clicking onto there web site look to left as you scroll down you will see out board forum. There are a bunch of guys there with alot of knowledge.

Good Luck ! ! !

RockLobsta
08-07-2003, 10:04 AM
or

thehulltruth.com

Mr. Sandman
08-07-2003, 01:09 PM
check and clean electrical connections...make sure they are solidly connected. Your service manual for that engine probably has a some sort of impeadence test or other kind of test you can run on that amp. Your battery is good right? Do you have two engines?..if so you can swap and check it that way. Dollars to donuts it is a bad connection..just don't look at/wiggle the connection, take them off, sand them down and re-tighten. (both the ground and the positive lead)
The good news is it does not sound like a costly problem.. A good mechanic could diagnose this in minutes and get you up...it might pay to just to have one look at it.