View Full Version : Love Light Tackle

Got Stripers
09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Wasn't going to fish today, but after coffee, it was just too fishy to resist. Hooked up the yak trailer and headed to Sakonet point and limited out early on BSB in 15-18 feet right outside the harbor, then headed to the lighthouse to see if any tog were home and had one slam my 4" splittail on a 3/8oz kalin ultimate jig head. Tog are aggressive with rollers creating a lot of white water against ledge and slam light jigs like a striper might. Nobody else was home, so I wrapped up the day with a bunch of schoolies in the wash of the ledges on the point.

I fished one 3/8oz jig, maybe went through 3 of my Ledge Runner 4" split tails and had some yummy filets at the end of the day. All my BSB, fluke and striper keepers this year have all come on that same rig, it is so versatile on a light sensitive spinning rod, spooled on 20-30 lb (power pro) braid. It takes some patience, but once that bait gets to the bottom (I can fish it effectively to 30 feet), with a finger on the braid and hopped and worked slowly, it catches everything on a slow drift.

Obviously my days of fishing a rocking current in Vinyard Sound are over, so I've been focusing on inshore structure and catching probably more good eaters then I did with a boat. Ironic that I'm doing better on BSB, Fluke and Tog, then I did with a boat. Well Tog might be a stretch, because I can't paddle my yak to a favorite ledge this side of cutty this year.