View Full Version : So I thought I could, I thought I could

Jimbo
09-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Match stain to other pieces. First off, RMarsh, if I ever get my dream house it's gonna need stairs for a new second floor. You freelance in the mid-Cape area?
OK, so we bought a piece of unfinished furniture I told my wife I could stain/polyurethane to match two pieces we already had. I got stain/poly mix, two coats, and it's not quite dark enough for Mrs. "I want it darker." Since what I put on is poly and stain in one, do I have to sand it down and start over, or can I take a leap of chance and add some darker stain to what I already used, brillo it down a little and repaint the stupid thing?

ecduzitgood
09-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Check the label....but you should be able to just put another coat or 2 and it will get darker each coat. I would try a test piece if you mix straight stain in the poly stain to make sure it doesn't affect the drying of the poly stain, you could mix a darker poly stain in and it will dry properly since you aren't changing the stain to poly factory formula.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
09-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Why does furniture need to match perfectly? If it's not the same furniture line or style I'd do it darker lighter or even paint it.

Guppy
09-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Why does furniture need to match perfectly? If it's not the same furniture line or style I'd do it darker lighter or even paint it.

Answer; quote " I told my wife I could stain/polyurethane to match " LOL