View Full Version : suggestions on a really nice 8'er Albie boat spinning rod

fish raptor
10-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I have a pair of 7' St. Croix's, one lightly heavier than the other and I have been using these. I love these rods and would buy a replacement immediately if I were to break on but I know that using an 8'er is advantageous to getting that lure out there so looking to see if anyone can suggest a really nice high end spinning rod and it will be one of the last rods I buy for awhile so I really don't care how much it cost, I really really enjoy having nice equipment. I don't want to go with St. Croix as I already have two of them and variety is the spice of life. Should I stop at 8' ??

Clogston29
10-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Loomis green water is a very nice rod. Very happy with mine.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko
10-01-2016, 12:16 PM
I've got a bunch of different rods I use for Albies. I don't think any r over 7'6". The one I grab when I want to fish is a shimano teramar. It isn't the most expensive but it's the one I like the most. recently picked up a light crowder rod and it is pretty sweet. Sea dangles had some nice loomis roads I liked. Maybe he will chime in

scottw
10-01-2016, 01:15 PM
any of the Loomis E6X's are nice....I think the Green water is the calssic albie rod ....I use a Star 7'6" Seagis from shore(or boat)...it's only rated to 5/8ths ounce but will throw a 1.5 ounce PoJee with no trouble...10 lb Fireline and you can cover a lot of water and has plenty of backbone if you hook a decent bass or blue..fun rod for a bunch of applications

fish raptor
10-01-2016, 05:02 PM
any of the Loomis E6X's are nice....I think the Green water is the calssic albie rod ....I use a Star 7'6" Seagis from shore(or boat)...it's only rated to 5/8ths ounce but will throw a 1.5 ounce PoJee with no trouble...10 lb Fireline and you can cover a lot of water and has plenty of backbone if you hook a decent bass or blue..fun rod for a bunch of applications

Wow, only 5/8ths ounce, thats light. I will look into the E6X's rods. Is the green water rod one of the E6X rods or are they different ?

The only problem with a rod is ya gotta put it in your hands and get a feel for it, maybe even put your reel on it to see if you like the balance. I can do a lot of internet scouting but eventually I will have to go somewhere to get a hands on.....

Who has a good selection of Loomis in stock ? I figure it will be a long drive but that's o.k., I don't mind.

FyshhTrap
10-01-2016, 05:07 PM
I have a pair of 7' St. Croix's, one lightly heavier than the other and I have been using these. I love these rods and would buy a replacement immediately if I were to break on but I know that using an 8'er is advantageous to getting that lure out there so looking to see if anyone can suggest a really nice high end spinning rod and it will be one of the last rods I buy for awhile so I really don't care how much it cost, I really really enjoy having nice equipment. I don't want to go with St. Croix as I already have two of them and variety is the spice of life. Should I stop at 8' ??You should proly get a 10 footer if you"re having trouble casting,and put a Big weight on it. :bshake:

fish raptor
10-01-2016, 05:12 PM
You should proly get a 10 footer if you"re having trouble casting,and put a Big weight on it. :bshake:

ha ha ha

I am not positive but I heard a rumor that those guys that use 10' boat rods have small........:rotf3::rotf3

FyshhTrap
10-01-2016, 05:31 PM
ha ha ha

I am not positive but I heard a rumor that those guys that use 10' boat rods have small........:rotf3::rotf3
With a good running start even you should be able to hit 30 yrds.:eek5:

tysdad115
10-01-2016, 06:22 PM
With a good running start even you should be able to hit 30 yrds.:eek5:

And the wind at his back..

ProfessorM
10-01-2016, 06:31 PM
I use cheapie Tica's. I luv em. I am in a tin boat with not much room and 3 rods so when I step on the things and break guides and such which does happen in the frenzy it doesn't hurt so much.

In The Surf
10-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Another nod for loomis

fish raptor
10-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I use cheapie Tica's. I luv em. I am in a tin boat with not much room and 3 rods so when I step on the things and break guides and such which does happen in the frenzy it doesn't hurt so much.

"Step on your rods and break the guides" !!!!!!

Hey Tysdad, remind me to NEVER invite ProfessorM on my boat !!!

tysdad115
10-01-2016, 08:55 PM
"Step on your rods and break the guides" !!!!!!

Hey Tysdad, remind me to NEVER invite ProfessorM on my boat !!!

There's 1000 other reasons you wouldn't want him there...lol. Perfesser is good people!

scottw
10-02-2016, 06:16 AM
Wow, only 5/8ths ounce, thats light. I will look into the E6X's rods. Is the green water rod one of the E6X rods or are they different ?

don't know that you need anything special like Professor M suggested, I think definitely something light and versatile is more fun for these screamers...some will go with a reel with a high retrieve rate to help contend with the speed which is why the Stradic is popular for high end albie setups....but again, a 3-4000 series Battle works just fine...

http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/en/home/conventional/rods1/saltwater/GREENWATER.html

http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/en/home/conventional/rods1/saltwater/E6X_INSHORE.html

fish raptor
10-02-2016, 09:14 AM
don't know that you need anything special like Professor M suggested, I think definitely something light and versatile is more fun for these screamers...some will go with a reel with a high retrieve rate to help contend with the speed which is why the Stradic is popular for high end albie setups....but again, a 3-4000 series Battle works just fine...

http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/en/home/conventional/rods1/saltwater/GREENWATER.html

http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/en/home/conventional/rods1/saltwater/E6X_INSHORE.html

Well as usual I have to check out all the reviews & reports to see what every thinks of the 2 rods (Greenwater & E6X's) so I spent a good hour and half reading reviews and to be honest with you I came away a little bit shocked.

There were TONS of fisherman who stated that they liked the St. Croix Avid Inshore over the Greenwater which really surprised me as the G. Loomis are quite a bit more $$. It wasn't just a few but many and the Avids are what I am already using. Huh ???? Still reading reviews and next looking at the E6X's. Don't get me wrong, tons loved them. I find it kinda odd that some said they were "more sensetive" and other stated the opposite, and .... some said lighter and others said opposite. I guess I need to put one in my hands.
Today I'll spend a few hours on the E6X's to see what I can see.

thanks all for your input..... will keep you posted on progress.

blondterror
10-02-2016, 10:58 AM
I love my Aubut that I just bought this fall.

High end rods for sure.. I use mine from the beach and paired it with a Tri Power 5000.

http://www.aubutrods.com/spinning-rods/

fish raptor
10-02-2016, 11:22 AM

High end rods for sure.. I use mine from the beach and paired it with a Tri Power 5000.

Have to admit I am completely unfamiliar with this brand of rods but will give them a thorough review and see what comes out of the wash.
thank you for their website.....

scottw
10-02-2016, 11:45 AM

best suggestion yet..this would be the ultimate....custom albie rod wrapped by a world class albie chaser...and support small business

fish raptor
10-02-2016, 02:43 PM
best suggestion yet..this would be the ultimate....custom albie rod wrapped by a world class albie chaser...and support small business

who is the world class Albie chaser/rod builder you are speaking of ?
Wonder what blanks he recommends or uses .....

FyshhTrap
10-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Just checked out the "Rubber Slinger" Sweet

wdmso
10-04-2016, 04:48 AM
I go cheap ugly stick inshore rods like 39.00 bucks cast ,great love the rod action and they stand up to abuse its what i am using in the photo clammer posted

Guppy
10-04-2016, 05:44 AM

On my third Tica, I don't step on them, I leave em in the rocket launchers and transfer them to trees :huh:

wdmso
10-04-2016, 03:03 PM
On my third Tica, I don't step on them, I leave em in the rocket launchers and transfer them to trees :huh:

LOL
had my tree rod from last week returned to me by a friend down the street who had an Idea it was mine

Guppy
10-04-2016, 04:49 PM
We need Bob ( got striper) to chime in here , he wrote an article on this stuff, I'll bet it's a good one

Got Stripers
10-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Yeah the OMG article OTW ran was a dozen of my "not so fond" fishing memories, basically stupid arse things we all have done. I thought everyone would relate and it wasn't hard unfortunately, to come up with enough OMG stories to put in the article. We all have them, because we have fished to the point of exhaustion, we have fished when we should be in bed nursing a nasty cold or flu, or because we fished to late and now have to put ourselves in overdrive to get to work.

Back to the rod question. For years my favorite rods were ones I build for myself, but now one of my favorites Russ at Monahans sold me. It's a Temple Fork Outfitter Signature Series SWS705-1, 7 foot, 8-17lb test and 3/8 to 1 oz rating. The only thing I didn't like about the rod was the short handle, but after I extended it, it is in my hands almost all the time now. With the issues that come with being 63 years old, I'm transitioning away from throwing heavy stuff and really find this rod is just what the doctor ordered.

It throws the light stuff a country mile, is extremely sensitive for my fishing light plastics, but has enough backbone to turn some decent size stripers. Not sure I'd want to test it on a 40 lb bass in the rocks, but it's my go to for sea bass, fluke, some tog fishing with plastic and it's the balls for school bass and albies. Ironically it was one of the two survivors that made it home one day a number of years back on the rocket launchers on the tee top. I think because of its lighter action it had enough give, it and a shorter indestructible ugly stick conventional survived; one of my favorite custom eel rods and another came home in pieces.