View Full Version : Where are you getting skins

ecduzitgood
10-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Also how do you keep them between trips? Do you remove them from the plug or jig head?

PaulS
10-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Using my deal eels and I don't take them off. I store them in kosher salt.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
10-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I try and get my own. I also check all the shops and ask for the the largest ones they have or will get. To save them for me. I just remove hooks every time I store which is a zip lock with kosher salt in the fridge. I have used the same skins all year on a Conrad, needle, and a Danny and a skin jog and they are wearing well. If I could post some pics from my phone I would show you a few good ones so far this year. I will be throwing some tonight.

In The Surf
10-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Using my deal eels and I don't take them off. I store them in kosher salt.

X2

chefchris401
10-01-2016, 07:46 PM
My local shop if they have em big enough to skin

If not cow harbor in LI sells em brined and ready to go in every size for a fair price and they ship.

I store my plugs in a ziplock bag in the freezer, 1 plug in each bag. No issues all season

Rockfish9
10-03-2016, 06:36 AM
I trap all my own eels... so that is not an issue...

once cured (after skinning I coat the inside and out with Kosher salt and dry)... once attached to the plug... I simply hang the plug and let the skin dry.. some plugs have been in service for 10 years now.. as long as they are stored in a cool dry place they will not mildew...

ProfessorM
10-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Good to know

ecduzitgood
10-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I trap all my own eels... so that is not an issue...

once cured (after skinning I coat the inside and out with Kosher salt and dry)... once attached to the plug... I simply hang the plug and let the skin dry.. some plugs have been in service for 10 years now.. as long as they are stored in a cool dry place they will not mildew...
Wow, I thought they had to be refrigerated and kept from drying out. Would you say the hardware stands up better letting them dry out? I have never used one on a plug thinking the salt would accelerate the corrosion of the hooks and swivels leading to failure.

dannyplug1
10-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Just checked the cow harbor site they get 12.00 for a big skin or rigged eel. Glad I learned how to acquire my own skins and rig my own eels. One two pound blue and that 12.00 rigged eel is toast!

ProfessorM
10-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Swivels are stainless. Hooks get removed when stored for me. Might give Joe's technique a try.

Rockfish9
10-04-2016, 11:32 AM
as far as trapping eels.. this is a really good time as they are now migrating....

Linesider82
10-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Local shop, skin and immediately put on plug, stored in the freezer. On the plug, hooks on too.

I tried the all Kosher salt thing this year and the skins dry out and break around the toilet chain trailers I used.

I switched to a link of clips so there's no rough edges. The comparison is not even close in the skin lasting while using a trailing tail inside the skin.