View Full Version : how to carry big needles

dannyplug1
10-04-2016, 09:36 AM
I have been fishing the high hook needles for this season. They really cull out big fish in that they are over 12.00 inches long. only one problem how do you carry them. I was thinking of a lure tubes but with a longer cylinder any one out there have any ideas charlie

pbadad
10-04-2016, 01:00 PM
when I carry "biggie" I use a vacuum tube with a bottom and top. tape a wire tie yto use on belt and on cover a piece of mono attached to top and other end to snap clip. this help removing plug while wading a dropping it prior to putting on line. Let me look for a picture to post.

Linesider82
10-04-2016, 05:01 PM
I had a bag built with 12" tubes. The "dinner catcher" and "little brother" fit in there. "Biggie" which is around 15" doesn't and I use a collapsible map tube (if) / when I carry it.

The two smaller needles which are still a foot long can be carried upside down in a standard bag with the tail section sticking out the flap in the bag. I never use the side flaps on the bag. It does cause a CF of the hooks but to me it's worth dealing with as I like the plugs and have confidence in them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

*Edit I do not use a tail hook on these plugs just a flag... So when they're sticking out of the bag they don't pose a safety issue to me.

dannyplug1
10-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Billy I would love to see a picture of your holder for the biggie needles. Thanks Charlie
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pbadad
10-04-2016, 05:42 PM
You see the snaps on the cap attached to plug and cap attached to lanyard. The ring is wire tied to tube. Lightweight and funtional.

dannyplug1
10-05-2016, 07:55 AM
billy thanks. where did you get the tubes and the caps? how do you fish the needle? how fast do you move it like a standard needle or do you do it faster and more on top? curious about your technique. thanks for your help. charlie

Surf Caster
10-05-2016, 09:07 PM
You see the snaps on the cap attached to plug and cap attached to lanyard. The ring is wire tied to tube. Lightweight and funtional.

very cool idea

curious what kind of water you fish these big needles in? I've never had much success with large (over 7-8") needles... maybe i just need to fish them more?

pbadad
10-06-2016, 06:46 AM
That particular tube is from a flower arrangement . Vacuum tubing works also. Lightweight is key. The caps are from extra plug bag tubes I had. Options for caps could be pvc caps, fernco caps , packing tube caps etc. I do recommend attaching plug to cap to keep it from falling out when clipping. Clip first then remove attached clip. I use duo locks to attach to lanyard. I fish them slow to moderate in most conditions. The big jointed made of AYC stays w/in a foot of surface. A pause and rip to mix it up or a pencil popping style retrieve also.