View Full Version : use sea bass for tog chowder recipe?

Jim in CT
10-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Have a chance to jump on a trip to Block on Friday for stripers and sea bass. Will likely let the stripers go, will keep some sea bass.

Last year, someone here was kind enough to share with me, a recipe for tog chowder (or stew?). I think it was Crafty's recipe? Anyway, it was beyond amazing, my wife ate gallons of it, and she can't wait for me to make it again.

Would sea bass work OK in this recipe?

Thanks as always.

spence
10-04-2016, 04:33 PM
For god sakes Jim grill the suckers whole. I wouldn't waste fresh BSB in chowder.

Jim in CT
10-04-2016, 04:55 PM
For god sakes Jim grill the suckers whole. I wouldn't waste free BSB in chowder.

I am pretty handy on a grill, never done whole fish though. With BSB I usually blacken it in a cast iron pan, or fry it.

I know what you mean, but we just love that chowder on a cool or cold day.

Nebe
10-04-2016, 05:00 PM
BSB will just dissolve if added to a chowder. It's too delicate.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
10-04-2016, 07:17 PM
I am pretty handy on a grill, never done whole fish though. With BSB I usually blacken it in a cast iron pan, or fry it.
Gut, scale and cut off the fins. Rinse and dry. Score the fillets in a few places on each side. Stuff the cavity with some herbs and lemon. Rub the outside with good olive oil, salt and fresh pepper. Cook over an oiled medium hot grill. Because it's bone on it will take a bit longer than you think.

One of the best things in the world.

MakoMike
10-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Gut, scale and cut off the fins. Rinse and dry. Score the fillets in a few places on each side. Stuff the cavity with some herbs and lemon. Rub the outside with good olive oil, salt and fresh pepper. Cook over an oiled medium hot grill. Because it's bone on it will take a bit longer than you think.

One of the best things in the world.

I do the same thing, but I use a 50/50 mix of EVOO and lemon juice with some garlic added. And continually baste the fish while its cooking. Good eats!

FishermanTim
10-05-2016, 12:24 PM
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Damn you, I haven't had lunch yet....