View Full Version : Backyard Bird Watching 2016-17 edition

basswipe
10-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Made the investment this season in a Droll Yankees feeder and it was a very good investment indeed,the squirrels have no idea what to do with it!Its going to be nice not to have to plow through pounds of seed every week feeding the damn squirrels.

We've had just about every local species visiting,no hawk yet though.

Raven
10-17-2016, 08:05 AM
a big hawk tried to kill my big plymouth rock rooster
and left his comb all bloody. a brazen bastard so now
i am back to feeding my flock of crows to be on the
look out and intercept him.

this morning i saw what looked like one of my
astrolop black chickens under the bushes
but it was actually a 55 pound porcupine.

that's a guesti-mate on weight but it was
huge... as big as a curled up dog on the couch.

it's up there still sleepin on a branch....
tried to take pics ....but they came out shetty

Raven
10-17-2016, 08:19 AM
photo.... i worked on it and brought it out
of the shadows

even though it was still early and semi dark
the flash did zilch but here he is
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/porcupine.jpg

basswipe
10-17-2016, 01:58 PM
That's not a bad pic at all.Very cool.

basswipe
10-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Oct.19th and we're bat watching at this very moment.

Have the camera out but those little buggers are fast!

Ok back at it.

FishermanTim
10-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Like trying to get a pic of a hummingbird in flight!

When they are hovering/feeding, sure, but when they move they REALLY move!

Raven
10-24-2016, 04:52 AM
to get a humming bird you have to
stand /sit close to a feeder
and wait-em out with camera
ready to snap.

OLD GOAT
10-24-2016, 07:25 AM

You're lucky you have crows. The crows near me head for Monomy in the spring for eggs and get poisoned by the Feds and that makes my chickens easy pray for the hawks

OLD GOAT
10-24-2016, 07:33 AM

You're lucky you have crows. The crows near me head for Monomy in the spring for eggs and get poisoned by the Feds and that makes my chickens easy pray for the hawks

justplugit
11-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Has anybody seen any hawk migrations yet?

Guppy
11-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Has anybody seen any hawk migrations yet?

Sorry no

Did see something on that idea mind boggling today on the water...
I was a little slow on the draw with the phone pic but managed to get this.... Look real close at the dotted line in the sky... It was endless!
Geese I guess...
Great sunrise also

justplugit
11-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Yes, I would agree. The sky has been as clear as can be over the
last 2 weeks to see migrations. Maybe late because of the warm weather?

basswipe
11-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Been hearing the same sharpie for several days but no sighting as of so far.

I know one thing I can endorse this season is the Droll Yankee Whipper feeder.The squirrels truly struggle with this feeder.

niko
11-05-2016, 05:52 PM
We saw some puffins out tuna fishing the other day - pretty cool to see
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz
11-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Sorry no

Did see something on that idea mind boggling today on the water...
I was a little slow on the draw with the phone pic but managed to get this.... Look real close at the dotted line in the sky... It was endless!
Geese I guess...
Great sunrise also

cormorants!

rphud
11-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Bear, really big bear.

Any thoughts on how much a black bear would weigh if it is about 6 foot tall standing on the hind legs?

Rob Rockcrawler
11-22-2016, 09:45 AM
Since the cold snap hit i have had about 50 carolina wrens hanging around. Small bird but they are my favorite back yard little guys.

rphud
11-22-2016, 09:49 AM
ours are gone, replaced by Juncos.

Raven
11-22-2016, 07:17 PM
as i exited the red barn door @ 6:20 am
i caught a glimpse of something running
from the cedar grove .it was a small
porcupine and i chased after it to find its
den but as i rounded the corner of the wood-
shed it was gone like a magician.

i stuffed its den hole with rocks then
dumped in a quite aromatic bottle of
pee saved for just that occasion

haven't seen it since. lol.

then i go up the hill to let the
Chickens and Ducks out and i heard
Canadian geese coming over head
so i look up and here's a 25 bird flock
in a perfect V around 75 feet up
passing right over me. incredible!

this morning we had a single tom
turkey with a 7 inch tassle and he
was watchin the 5 ducks trying to
figure them out i guess :huh:

Guppy
11-23-2016, 06:47 AM
Traffic jamb Raven style,,, :jump:

FishermanTim
11-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Was out fishing last month on the kayak in Dover and saw a massive crow migration. I've seen them in good numbers, but when you see hundreds and hundreds of them flying by in separate groups it can be noisy.

Some years back we had an even larger flock (Murder) of crows pass over our house. They literally darkened the sky as they passed.
Some would stop off in our trees making it look like a scene from the movie "The Birds".
And they were cackling to beat the band!

I can mimic some of their calls, to the point where they will respond to them, but since I don't know what I am conveying they soon catch on and stop replying.
I do the same with turkeys and chickens.
I can mimic the sounds pretty well but without understanding the context it soon just becomes noise to them.

As for backyard birds, we've got a lot of various sparrow species as well as finches, chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, juncos, blue jays, cardinals, many types of woodpeckers, mourning doves, occasional turkeys and odd pigeon or two.

BigBo
11-23-2016, 11:54 AM
These fellas are living dangerously this week especially. I can walk right up to within 10' of them. Table fare. :easy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/bospa/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0670_zpsgeiusmox.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bospa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0670_zpsgeiusmox.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/bospa/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0672_zpsuj1hbg98.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bospa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0672_zpsuj1hbg98.jpg.html)

FishermanTim
11-25-2016, 09:17 PM
You wouldn't want to get too close to them in the spring when they are strutting for mates....they can be downright dangerous!

I would feed the ones that visit our cul-de-sac.
They would bring their young of the year, and then that brood would bring theirs the next year, and so on, and so on....

The chicks would hide behind the hen while she fed and when I stepped back they would charge out from behind to feed.
The hens and prior year young would come-a-running when I would start tossing sunflower seeds for them to eat.

Raven
11-28-2016, 03:03 PM
yeah Tim

I had a turkey chase me around my car several times.. It had a real bad attitude

Rob Rockcrawler
11-29-2016, 09:14 AM
I had a tom attack my jeep out on Block a few years back. They blocked the road and the tom was pecking at my tires then jumping up at my drivers side window. The block island version of the UPS guy was cracking up watching it happen. Not sure if the turkeys are still on the island or if they got removed.

Raven
11-30-2016, 03:37 AM
after thanks giving i always throw the rack out onto the middle of the hay field
out back to watch the crows arrive and do their thing. Turkey's seem to have a relationship
with crows trusting in their Observation skills and they'll emerge
when they're around and soon enough we had our 25 turkey hens out there milling around.
I built a compound (enclosure) for our chickens and Ducks to fence out the turkey's and deer
from the middle of our Homestead and so far they have respected the border and -> Stay out of there.

Raven
12-03-2016, 09:48 AM
took all my cans of fat, bacon grease ,left over meat ect. about six cans worth and set it out
200 feet out back for them to faten up for winter
so TODAY ...first one i've ever seen! is a brown Version brown and black
looks more like a hawk coloration. Wishing i had a decent ZOOM telephoto camera.:huh:

Guppy
12-03-2016, 10:42 AM
took all my cans of fat, bacon grease ,left over meat ect. about six cans worth and set it out
200 feet out back for them to faten up for winter
so TODAY ...first one i've ever seen! is a brown Version brown and black
looks more like a hawk coloration. Wishing i had a decent ZOOM telephoto camera.:huh:

Brownys cousin

FishermanTim
12-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Was doing some X-mas shopping for a local charity drive at work, and while in line at Ocean State there was a guy in front of me getting some bird feeding supplies. Since he was chair bound, he could only get a couple things, and as fate would have it he was a dollar short. I gave him a dollar, to which he was very grateful, at which point I replied "You won't be thanking me when the birds start rapping on your window to refill your feeders".

We both got a laugh at that.

We've been seeing quite a bit more activity for this early in the season, so I'm thinking either they're making up for a dry summer (less seeds available) or stocking up for a bad winter!

Raven
12-06-2016, 04:47 AM
the white net bag your Turkey comes in makes a perfect SUET feeder. :uhuh:

PaulS
12-22-2016, 12:56 PM
I wonder what I would pay for a squirrel proof feeder. The one I have with a cage works for a while but eventually the just bite through the plexiglass.

basswipe
12-22-2016, 02:07 PM
I wonder what I would pay for a squirrel proof feeder. The one I have with a cage works for a while but eventually the just bite through the plexiglass.

See my first post that started this thread.Well worth the money.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=9089+10468+8773+27869&pcatid=27869&r=290

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=9089+10468+8773+27870&pcatid=27870&r=290

The two above feeders are the best on the market.I have the Whipper.That particular online dealer is the cheapest I could find.The second link is for the Flipper and that is truly about the cheapest you will find it.The money you save on not feeding the squirrels makes these feeders well worth it...plus its a hoot watching the squirrels try.

PaulS
12-22-2016, 02:17 PM
I saw one similar to that but with an external cage at HD last week. I think it was like $30.

Thanks!

ProfessorM
12-22-2016, 06:24 PM
You want the ones that close when they put weight on it. Probably 50 bucks. I have had one for years work perfect. All metal no way in.

basswipe
12-22-2016, 06:27 PM
I saw one similar to that but with an external cage at HD last week. I think it was like $30.

Thanks!

external cages are what allow the squirrels to hang on and chew.

PaulS
12-22-2016, 06:53 PM
external cages are what allow the squirrels to hang on and chew.

Good point. I should see if u can cut the cage off bf I buy a new one.
Thanks

basswipe
12-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Good point. I should see if u can cut the cage off bf I buy a new one.
Thanks

The big issue is once the cage is gone can an adult squirrel hang off the top and reach the feeding ports?

PaulS
12-22-2016, 08:29 PM
No.

I just looked at it and it might work.

PaulS
12-25-2016, 11:54 AM
Squirrels are looking skinnier already.

basswipe
12-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Squirrels are looking skinnier already.

Cutting the cage off worked?

PaulS
12-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Yes

Raven
12-26-2016, 11:57 AM
LAUNCHING SQUIRRELS

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=squirrel+launched+off+porch

basswipe
12-27-2016, 05:05 PM
LAUNCHING SQUIRRELS

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=squirrel+launched+off+porch

At guess at that point you're intentionally trying to lure the squirrels in!I'll stick with my new feeder,spending much less in seed and pellets.

Got Stripers
12-31-2016, 02:20 PM
one dollar large plastic bowl at the dollar tree store, then some axle grease on the 3 foot hanger the feeder is on and they haven't been on any of my feeders since.

basswipe
12-31-2016, 02:43 PM
one dollar large plastic bowl at the dollar tree store, then some axle grease on the 3 foot hanger the feeder is on and they haven't been on any of my feeders since. Picked up an American Classic pump pellet today however since my biggest issues is the ferrel cats harrassing our pet cat. Figure I'll take out a couple squirrels to thin the population while I'm at it.

The plastic owl will eventually become a perch for the squirrels and then a tool to get at your seed.It will eventually make their lives easier.

The 1077 is a great pellet pistol but one pump won't even phase a squirrel and by the time you're on the 2nd pump the squirrels will already be gone,never mind feral cats.If you want to thin the population think single pump spring-piston rifle,Beeman,RWS,Gamo are great choices.

Got Stripers
12-31-2016, 04:45 PM
The grease they absolutely don't like, I've seen them freek out on attempting to climb down the hanger and after a week they haven't made any attempts to repeat it. I can pump the pistol inside and crack a window and from 20 feet, I think they will get the message.

Guppy
12-31-2016, 06:17 PM
I luv shooting squirrels :-)

I made a squirrel launcher a couple years ago,,,, great fun,,, check them out on u tube

Got Stripers
01-02-2017, 02:29 PM
8 pumps and from 20 feet, three squirrels are back in their nests wishing they had gone to my neighbors feeders or I did enough damage from close range they aren't coming back. Rare to have no squirrels on the ground below the feeders for the second day. Happy to have a couple flickers coming in this year, love the markings on that bird. I have a hawk coming in occasionally to do a little feeding himself, but that is to be expected when you have four feeders going.

basswipe
01-03-2017, 12:03 PM
I went down the whole squirrel shooting thing for a long time and after a while it just wasn't worth it.If you don't kill them they eventually come back and new ones replace dead ones.When your not home they'll clean you out anyways.

When I started killing squirrels to watch birds it ceased being birdwatching.I finally made the investment in a real squirrel-proof feeder,put away the rifle and now actually relax and watch the birds,the only thing that will be doing any killing at my feeder from now on will the neighborhood Sharpie.

basswipe
01-06-2017, 04:44 PM
The feeders have been super-active this afternoon attracting a twilight visitor.

Raven
01-07-2017, 05:36 AM
we have been bringing in our plastic mesh (turkey wrap) suet feeders
to thaw because at -6 they get hard as a rock.

when placed above a bird feeder roof tiny pieces land there for
the little ones ... like gold finches

FishermanTim
01-10-2017, 12:45 PM
I've had too many of the cheap plastic tube feeders destroyed by the tree rats. They will gnaw thru the opening to get as all the seeds, spilling them on the ground.

One unfortunate TR cut its paw pretty badly on the cracked plastic (based on the blood on it).

Used to use my bb rifle to scare them away until I got one with a "thru shot" to the head. Never thought that bb could travel that fast to blow its brain out but that was the last time I used it.

Now I have my feeders where they can only get them if they learn how to fly or operate a ladder.

When they are at their worst, they get into EVERYTHING!
They repeatedly dig up my garden beds looking for acorns they never planted there. I think that a launcher is in the near future, so that I can at least enjoy their demise!!!

Got Stripers
01-11-2017, 08:37 AM
We have had three tube feeders hanging from low hanging spruce trees, but when you are one of the few feeding in the area, the hundreds of birds put enough on the ground that they rarely climb down. The large plastic bowls and axle grease seemed to be the final deterrent this year and the pump pellet is now thinning out the rest. Amazing how accurate and powerful that little pump pistol is, broke a spin this morning and send a second limping back up the tree. We have had 4-5 regulars and I think I have probably hurt or killed them all by now. Helps to have windows that open quietly and only 15 yards from where they are sitting, you just need to go to the opposite side of the house to pump as quietly as possible.

basswipe
01-11-2017, 06:05 PM
We have had three tube feeders hanging from low hanging spruce trees, but when you are one of the few feeding in the area, the hundreds of birds put enough on the ground that they rarely climb down. The large plastic bowls and axle grease seemed to be the final deterrent this year and the pump pellet is now thinning out the rest. Amazing how accurate and powerful that little pump pistol is, broke a spin this morning and send a second limping back up the tree. We have had 4-5 regulars and I think I have probably hurt or killed them all by now. Helps to have windows that open quietly and only 15 yards from where they are sitting, you just need to go to the opposite side of the house to pump as quietly as possible.

Why go through all that?

By the time you are said and done you'll have spent 4-5 times in $$$ on grease,plastic bowls,pellets and most importantly seed than it would cost to buy a true squirrel-proof feeder.

The shooting of the squirrels is fun for awhile but it eventually becomes a chore especially in the dead of Winter and you'll eventually get tired of it,trust me.And as far as the dead ones go who wants to spend the time skinning and dressing them,most folks don't know what do with them as far as prep for the pot goes.

Got Stripers
01-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Why go through all that?

By the time you are said and done you'll have spent 4-5 times in $$$ on grease,plastic bowls,pellets and most importantly seed than it would cost to buy a true squirrel-proof feeder.

The shooting of the squirrels is fun for awhile but it eventually becomes a chore especially in the dead of Winter and you'll eventually get tired of it,trust me.And as far as the dead ones go who wants to spend the time skinning and dressing them,most folks don't know what do with them as far as prep for the pot goes.

Sold my center console and have large tube of grease left, two bowls at the dollar tree cost me a dollar, tails I saved for dressing up some older Mepps spinners; not cost or trouble for me so far.

basswipe
01-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Sold my center console and have large tube of grease left, two bowls at the dollar tree cost me a dollar, tails I saved for dressing up some older Mepps spinners; not cost or trouble for me so far.

To each his own.All I can say is I spent many years doing exactly what you're doing and in the end you'll spend money.

All I do now is go outside pour 5lbs of seed into the feeders once a week and do nothing but watch.No guns,grease or cheezy plastic bowls involved.

Raven
01-18-2017, 03:55 PM
visitor i captured on film today
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/hoot.png

basswipe
01-21-2017, 10:53 AM
This guy has been a frequent visitor:

Raven
01-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Never saw these birds before....
then up the hill i saw a flock of around 40-60 of-em
doing all these "blue angels " maneuvers
and they'd return back to the electrical wires...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/snow-bunting.png

basswipe
01-25-2017, 05:45 PM
Great pics Raven.

PRBuzz
01-26-2017, 09:46 AM
got about 200 pics + video of this hawk the other day hunting sparrows on my solar array.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfHbCvsh5OY

PRBuzz
01-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Couple days later saw this red shouldered hawk

basswipe
01-26-2017, 05:38 PM
That is awesome!

Great pics and video PRBuzz.

Guppy
01-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Buzz
If you didn't sell Rockies toilet you could use it for a bird bath

(Buzz owned (owns?) Rocky Maciano toilet )

PRBuzz
01-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Buzz
If you didn't sell Rockies toilet you could use it for a bird bath

(Buzz owned (owns?) Rocky Maciano toilet )

Still own the house, the toilet left in a dumpster :(

Guppy
01-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Still own the house, the toilet left in a dumpster :(

YOU THREW IT OUT!
I was thinking gold fish bowl on my front lawn, damn :smash:

Raven
02-07-2017, 09:33 AM
the crow on the left (difficult to see)
is eating meat scraps out of a can

the Turkey's are scratching up old cat food (dry)
that i spread on top of the snow

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/party.jpg

rphud
02-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Goldfinches seem to be turning yellow, maybe the groundhog got it wrong again. No skunks yet though.

beamie
02-07-2017, 10:53 AM
So the other day I reloaded my feeders. Have 4 feeders out and 2 suit cages.

I used the last of some high priced food. It was $10 for a little bag at Ocean State. The other 3 got filled with stuff I bought at Lowes, allot cheaper.

I tell ya, what ever is in the more expensive bag must be like crack to the birds. They are turning their nose up at the other 3 feeders. My god. I must have snobby high class birds in the neighborhood.........

FishermanTim
02-07-2017, 01:49 PM
I picked up a bunch of suet cakes back in Dec when Ocean State had their "crazy card" deals (buy a product and get a gift card)

So I had a couple dozen cakes, a 50 lb. bag of sunflower seed and a 25 lb. bag of niger seed.

The niger seed is most expensive. 25 lb. bag for $29
Sunflower seed is $22 for a 50 lb. bag
Suet cakes, cheap ones were 8 for $5 or $6, the better ones are $1.00 each.

If you go with any of the mixed seed bags you are essentially wasting money (in the long term).
Mixed seed bags (or seed blends as they like to call them) contain ingredients that are on the bottom of every birds food list.

The two main "junk" additives are cracked corn and millet seeds.
Although both will be eaten by birds, they are not a preferred food choice. Corn, if not eaten, can sour and also affect other seed's germination. Millet is a weed seed, so you WILL find it growing in spots around your yard because birds are notorious for dropping food in flight.

I'm not saying don't use these blended seed bags, but just be aware that you can cover all the backyard bird food needs with just the basics (sunflower, niger and suet).

Do a price comparison and see what you spend and then go with whatever you decide.

Above all else enjoy your backyard feathered friends!

Got Stripers
02-07-2017, 02:27 PM
The birds are active today for sure, they seem to know what's coming Thursday, had to top off all 3 tube feeders. The sunflower feeder is nice as the song birds have to work to get that one down to a point I need to top it off and it brings in my favorite birds. The cardinals, nut hatches, chickadees, juncos and finches seem to favor the sunflower. The hundreds of sparrows are pigs and empty my tube feeders in short order, even though I have a cooper picking them off regularly.

I have a downy woodpecker who literally is camped out on my suit feeder and sleeps there hanging on when not feeding. I've thinned out the squirrels and I've seen some large prints in the snow (when around), that indicates some coyotes are taking the dead ones home likely that I've chucked in the brush.

basswipe
02-09-2017, 03:36 PM
I've thinned out the squirrels and I've seen some large prints in the snow (when around), that indicates some coyotes are taking the dead ones home likely that I've chucked in the brush.

Why would you do such a thing?

You're killing squirrels,throwing them in the brush,attracting and feeding coyotes.This is no good for anyone or anything,including the coyote and any neighbors(and pets) within many miles.

If you're going to kill the squirrels at least keep and consume them yourself,if you don't like that kind of game then I suggest buying a real squirrel-proof feeder if bird watching is really that important to you.

FishermanTim
02-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Started watching the eagles nest webcam again.

A nest in PA got destroyed by the winds this weekend.
The tree the nest was in got blown over with a parent bird sitting an egg.

I'm watching the ones in Washington, DC.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-17-2017, 08:28 AM
I have been seeing a bald eagle a couple days a week driving down the pike in Auburn. What an awesome sight. I damn near ht one a couple weeks ago near Albany. It came off the river and was about 10' above my windshield.

FishermanTim
02-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Late last year my brother was driving near his house in NH, and there were turkeys feeding in a hay field, and as he's watching an eagle swooped down and picked off one of the turkeys.

It never stood a chance...

Raven
03-03-2017, 06:39 AM
in my neck of the woods
sign's of spring............
even tho its only 14 degrees this mornin
chickadee's changed over to mating call mode
and several song sparrows arrived.... they are
usually the first to return

FishermanTim
03-06-2017, 12:31 PM
When the feeders are empty and I'm in the process of refilling, the chickadees are first to arrive, chirping up a storm as if to say "Can't you fill that any faster?"

One of my funniest events this winter was after refilling all the feeders late one afternoon, I happened to recheck the backyard that same night and found an adult raccoon standing on our deck railing attempting to pull down a suet feeder I had close to the house (on a clothes line). It didn't want to give up until I opened the door and it retreated.

I then moved the feeder out of reach.

Now only the birds can access the feeders.

PaulS
03-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Went by the Naugatuck river in Ct yesterday and saw 2 bald eagles in trees about 25 yards off of route 8. Saw them there previously so I knew where to look. 100s of cars drive by them daily and I doubt more than a few people see them. The river use to be so polluted that it would be different colors based on what color sneaker the keds factor was using to color the sneakers that day.

Raven
03-07-2017, 08:31 AM
When the feeders are empty and I'm in the process of refilling, the chickadees are first to arrive, chirping up a storm as if to say "Can't you fill that any faster?"

One of my funniest events this winter was after refilling all the feeders late one afternoon, I happened to recheck the backyard that same night and found an adult raccoon standing on our deck railing attempting to pull down a suet feeder I had close to the house (on a clothes line). It didn't want to give up until I opened the door and it retreated.

I then moved the feeder out of reach.

Now only the birds can access the feeders.

i put up a wooden bird house that has two holes one on the side
fun to watch the chickadee's go in the side and pop out the front
with a sunflower seed.

i also just changed out the hard as a rock suet
with a huge chunk
of beef fat so the woody's can fuel up
before the freezing rain arrives

FishermanTim
03-07-2017, 11:58 AM
I put out suet cakes primarily for the woodpeckers, but I've noticed that because the suet cakes are laced with seeds, virtually all the birds (except for ground feeding birds) are hitting them regularly.

Seeing a sparrow hanging on for dear life while feeding made realize the birds will eat whatever and whenever they can!

rphud
03-12-2017, 09:31 AM
bear stole the suit and cage, bent the hanger from 45 to level in process

BEETLE
03-12-2017, 03:42 PM
just saw the first osprey of the season out on the marsh here in Weymouth. is it early for them to return now ?

Raven
03-13-2017, 11:18 AM
had a good sized doe browsing in an area where i threw away
some old bagged cat food (for the turkey's) a while ago that had previously
been covered by snow. After eating she layed down to rest right there while
two other deer slept just outside the gate with the smaller one laying her head
on top of the other one for warmth.

OLD GOAT
03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Charge of robins feeding on our lawn for a few days.
Our snow storm turned to rain and the robins are happy

PRBuzz
03-22-2017, 07:57 AM
FYI: the is a King Eider drake in breeding plumage swimming among about 100+ other male common eiders (play Where is Waldo) at the Herring run on CCC. Best views yesterday were as ships/barges transited the area and the flock swam right up against the shore.

Raven
03-23-2017, 07:20 AM
buzz,
i have golden's (ducks) and man are they smart...
always escaping and when you try and catch them
you'd swear they know kung fu moves-lol
recently discovered is that they are more intelligent
than dolphins...

FishermanTim
03-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but do they taste like chicken or "chicken-of-the-sea"?

Raven
03-24-2017, 07:03 PM
they taste like veal or liver being extremely rich

i want them for "slug and snail control" as we are inundated
with them so when it's wet and mild i walk them all five
where needed.

PRBuzz
03-25-2017, 07:16 AM
Rav,

What sense(s) do Robins use in catching worms: smell, sight, hearing, feel, other?
;)

Raven
03-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Robins utilize all four ...they take three or four hops then freeze
-if they feel movement in their feet they cock their heads if the worm cannot be readily seen.

If they see it (right off) they yank it out and dismember it on the spot and swallow the pieces
which they regurgitate into the mouths of the baby robins.

i had a nest in my green house one year and thought it was cool and even hand fed them.
NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! the adults become HOSTILE ...the "little pals" fly out of the nest prematurely
and get lost as they aren't ready to fly really.

Raven
03-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Crows on the other hand are a different story

they have some kind of electromagnetic sensor in their beaks
that can either smell or somehow sense freshly sprouted corn
that hasn't sprouted thru the soil. Which reminds me (note to self)
"assemble clothes to make scare crow"

i sat with binoculars and watched a crow go right up my corn row
and eat all my swollen corn seeds.

while dry they are just starch but when germination occurs and they begin growing
the corn kernel turns to SWEET and they LOVE that to no end.

PRBuzz
03-25-2017, 09:00 PM
In the corn belt you can literally hear the screeching of the corn as it grows, mostly in July....

PRBuzz
03-30-2017, 07:38 PM
Went back to the Herring Run on the Ditch today and got really close up to the King Eider. The drake in full breeding plumage is normally only seen above the Arctic Circle

Raven
03-31-2017, 07:06 AM
excellent photo's Buzzz
so....pristine

PRBuzz
03-31-2017, 07:51 AM
thanks Raven and these are the PowerPoint version....originals are 20Mb RAW files. Started using the tripod again and sunlight definitely help getting high shutter speeds.

Raven
04-05-2017, 07:23 AM
vw just came out with an electric vw bus called BUZZ. 270 cruising range
0 -60 in 5 seconds w/2 electric motors you need to buy one and trick it out dude

Raven
04-05-2017, 07:24 AM
fukin COWBIRDS have arrived today, hate them

PRBuzz
04-05-2017, 07:27 AM
vw just came out with an electric vw bus called BUZZ. 270 cruising range
0 -60 in 5 seconds w/2 electric motors you need to buy one and trick it out dude

I will have to check it out!

It is only a concept BUZZ for now:

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/volkswagen-i-d-buzz-concept-taking-the-bus-to-an-ev-future-official-photos-and-info-gallery#23

Raven
04-08-2017, 06:23 AM
robins singing like it's SPRING
turkey's gobbling
deer browsing and napping
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/IMG_1223.png

PRBuzz
04-08-2017, 06:39 AM
found these great egrets on West Island

Raven
04-09-2017, 05:46 AM
had 8 deer in the backyard this morning.
One even peeked thru the window.
that's a new record .

i held up our maine coon cat to see them and he growled at them
thinking they were Big doggies heh heh heh

basswipe
04-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Putting the feeder(s) away for now,the grackle invasion is in full swing.Was hoping to catch my local sharpie snagging one but he hasn't made a try...at least not when I've been watching.

Really looking forward to turning over some soil and getting the gardens going.Patiently awaiting the arrival of my reaper pepper seeds.

Raven
05-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Have this Oriel here to sing me songs from the tree tops

he loves the suet as there is non stop rainy weather

the female must be weaving a sock nest somewhere
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/BaltimoreOriell.jpg

FishermanTim
05-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Might try putting a suet feed packed with orange halves, as orioles do love fruit!
We get them here in Hyde Park just around the time our crab apple tree blooms. They are also fond of fruit tree blossoms as well.

They are most vocal and most active when wooing a mate and chasing off rival males. They perform some of the best aerial avian dogfighting I've seen since seeing jays, mocking birds and grackles dive-bombing crows and hawks.

We have 2 hummingbirds visiting our feeders regularly, and they also do some fancy bird-chasing as well!

Raven
05-23-2017, 07:58 AM
the rest of the summer birds are here
have seen new arrivals of
rbg's [ rose breasted gross-beaks]
cat birds
wood thrushes