View Full Version : Lets Make The Plug Building Forum Great Again!

BigFish
10-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Sure has gotten quiet in here!! Hoping as the season closes and winter comes on we can maybe stoke the fire a bit if there are any warm embers left in here and get some good discussions going!!!! :uhuh:

chefchris401
10-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Hopefully johns updates makes it easier to upload from the phone, almost all my pics on the iPhone
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
10-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Currently working on some trophy tackle needle clones and some pocket rocket/small needles design I got from
DZ that his buddy zeke built.

30 or of some big pencils, half way finished too

pbadad
10-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Always enjoy the Sunday morning coffee. Thanks for bringing this up Larry.

ProfessorM
10-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Just finished buying and cutting up all my stock for the turning I will do this upcoming season.

BigFish
10-21-2016, 08:55 PM
We will get the Sunday morning coffee clutch plug discussions going again!!! :kewl:

pbadad
10-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Let's not forget Plugfest. Hoping we have one next year. We at CSA always enjoyed the camaraderie and everyone's many talents.

JLH
10-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Looking forward to getting back into building in another month or so. I did a couple of small batches during the season just to replace lost or beat up plugs but haven't had time for much else.

Charleston
10-22-2016, 11:59 AM
I have always enjoyed the plug building talks. Many friends involved as well.

the greek
10-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Always enjoyed the Sunday morning coffee talk. Looking forward to it. Hoping it gets back up and running again. Really miss the plug talk as I don't do the Facebook thing and it seems everything has shifted over to that.

Linesider82
10-26-2016, 01:06 PM
I just went thru and took stock of what I have to order for materials.

This past sunday I built and sealed a big darter / jerkbait wired it up and tested it out last night. It has a nice slow rise and I couldn't really tell in the dark but probably runs 6-8' deep, I forgot to weight it but my guess is 3.3 oz finished. Should be fun to fish.

looking forward to making plugs this winter.

pbadad
10-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Matt is that an offset turning?

Linesider82
10-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Matt is that an offset turning?

It's actually not turned. ripped 2x on table saw, rough cut with band saw and lots of sanding by hand. It's a start. I'll try to get it on video next time I get out in the daylight

pbadad
10-27-2016, 05:57 AM
Oh I see one of those " Frankenstein" lures. We've all done at least one. Imagination in this game so important with are learning curve . Whether from a building point or actual plug performance. Looks like a fun winter of turning coming up.

Linesider82
10-27-2016, 02:18 PM
So I was home this morning with my son because he's sick and brought the plug down to the lake before heading to work to see it in the light of day. Found that a long sweep of the rod tip makes it dive and ping bottom, pause rise repeat and I get a 4lb large mouth to hit it. BUT! I threaded on the front hook on the swivel and never checked it ... Bottom line is when I turned the hook onto the split it was undoing itself on the swivel... And the bass stole my hook and split.
Insert Homer Simpson "Doh!" Here

pbadad
10-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Nice. Something liked wood. that's happen to me once. Largemouth twice as big as lure and it was 5" long swimmer. You know that eel skin lip less is suppose to react sweeping but not sure if it dove. Testing surely needs good conditions.

Linesider82
10-27-2016, 11:43 PM
It really surprised me too because the plug is 8.25", but probably close to an avg sized perch... I had also cast in the same spot 6 times to test different retrieves, and the last retrieve was the sweeping action.... The best part was the bass hit the plug 3 times. The first time I felt a slight bump. The next time is when the bass took the hook, and the last time I saw the bass hit the plug with the hook still in its mouth. Each time the bass hit, it moved to 6" to 1' in front of the plug and hit the plug in the exact same spot, in the exact same way. Also, FWIW the bass spit out the hook and I plan to retrieve it tomorrow.

I'm also usually OCD about my terminal tackle, but my excitement/curiosity of this plug most certainly got the best of me.

Larry, good thread and here's to everyone contributing. :spam::spam::D

BigFish
10-28-2016, 06:08 AM
Tune in Sunday morning for coffee and lets see what everyones plans for the winter are?:btu:

pbadad
10-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Catch up to you Sunday.

johnny ducketts
10-28-2016, 09:29 AM
It really surprised me too because the plug is 8.25", but probably close to an avg sized perch... I had also cast in the same spot 6 times to test different retrieves, and the last retrieve was the sweeping action.... The best part was the bass hit the plug 3 times. The first time I felt a slight bump. The next time is when the bass took the hook, and the last time I saw the bass hit the plug with the hook still in its mouth. Each time the bass hit, it moved to 6" to 1' in front of the plug and hit the plug in the exact same spot, in the exact same way. Also, FWIW the bass spit out the hook and I plan to retrieve it tomorrow.

I'm also usually OCD about my terminal tackle, but my excitement/curiosity of this plug most certainly got the best of me.

Larry, good thread and here's to everyone contributing. :spam::spam::D

so did you get the hook back?
that's awesome! I have been toying with the idea of making a spook, but while not completely round bodied, kinda flattening the sides a little bit.

Linesider82
10-28-2016, 01:12 PM
so did you get the hook back?
that's awesome! I have been toying with the idea of making a spook, but while not completely round bodied, kinda flattening the sides a little bit.

No, not yet, it's within reach with an 11' rod or waders... I wanted a plug that could get down quick to bump bottom then rise.

flat sides on a spook might be interesting, I'd guess it'd walk back and forth on just a steady retrieve.

Got the hook back this AM, caught that bass too but on a soft plastic jig. It was 3.5 lbs haha

OLD GOAT
10-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Sounds great! Sweetie has an old mop and I have some dowels from an old chair.
All I need now is some dump special paint and the artist begins.

pbadad
10-29-2016, 01:56 PM
O G . .Miss your teaser tails at Plugfest.

Slipknot
10-29-2016, 04:35 PM
O G . .Miss your teaser tails at Plugfest.

Billy, I think that was Old Man , not OLD GOAT

Linesider82
10-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Hi guys, I hope everyone's season has gone well.

I won't be able to tune in Sunday morning as I'll be on the road, so here's my goals for this winter:

1. Continue on my jerkbait / darter project.
2. This season I spent the majority of my "out front" time learning about different darters. My buddy caught a 38lb on one of my darters and that was nice to hear. So my goal is to build 2 different but smaller darters this winter.
3. Continue a hybrid needle design inspired by another friend but looking to modify it to two hooks.
4. Make anything else, needles, swimmers etc. with skin grooves in the name of all the frozen eels in my freezer.

Heres what I have in the works at the moment...

Linesider82
10-29-2016, 11:15 PM
here's my hybrid needle.. accepts a hogy, sluggo, or other soft plastic tail screwed onto the cork screw at the butt end. Build for 2 3/0 5x mustads.

pbadad
10-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Nice work Matt. I have to see that jerks bait. Bring to show and tell!!!!!

pbadad
10-31-2016, 06:15 AM
He's a couple wadd style needles. African mahogany. Natural finsh. 2 coats System 3 clear coat. Second time using S3. So far no issues. Following my basics as I do w/e tex.